Thoughts On An Approaching New Year

December 15, 2016 in Finish-The-Sentence Friday

It’s almost 2017 and…I’m READY for it!

I think 2016 was a mixed bag for some. I know for Christina and Tarek of “Flip or Flop” fame, it was a downer. And, I too am soooo down about their breakup…how could this be??? And, they’ve been dating other people too…say it ain’t so!

For me, 2016 was a year that thankfully did not have a lot of downs, but did have A LOT of change, and maybe that’s why I’ve neglected this blog for a while. At least, that’s the excuse I’m going with for now.

So, what made my year full of transitions? Well, here they are, more or less in order:

I started a new part-time job as an essay specialist at a college prep company.

We sold our house that we lived in for almost 14 years.

We moved.

We sold and/or donated lots of old furniture.

We bought lots of new furniture.

Middle Dude decided he wanted to go to boarding school.

We went on a bunch of college tours and visits with Big Dude.

Middle Dude went to boarding school.

Little Dude became the only child living at home.

Big Dude applied to college.

Big Dude was accepted into his first choice college AND was recruited to play on their basketball team. (YAY!)

And, the changes will continue into 2017 because we need to find ANOTHER house by 2018. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the house we are in now is a two-year rental. So yippee, we get to pack up and move again..good times!

If I stop and try to be a little introspective here, I have realized that a year filled with so many changes caused me to slack off in other areas – unfortunately, I did less writing, less reading, less exercising, and less cooking…oh wait, that last one is actually a plus. But regarding the three other areas, I’m definitely going to make an effort to put those in the “more” category for 2017. I do have goals for each, though I’m reluctant to list them here in case they sound like resolutions, which always make me yawn…

But, if you happen to notice I’ve taken a writing class or two, published more essays and blog posts, started work on a new book, read more than just 7 books in a year, and advanced to a higher level in my tennis league, then you’ll know 2017 was a productive year for me. Now, if only Christina and Tarek would get back together, then the new year would be complete.

Happy Almost 2017!

This has been a “Finish-The-Sentence Friday” post. If you’d like to participate or read more posts on this topic, click on the picture below:

Finish-the-Sentence-Friday-150x150-1

Janine Huldie December 15, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Aw, loved the update from 2016 and now wishing you and your family a very, wonderful and Happy 2017!! 😉
Janine Huldie recently posted…Hatchimals Giveaway!My Profile

ohboymom December 15, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Janine and wishing you and yours a very happy new year too!

Kristi Campbell December 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm

You and me both to the 2017 being more (what is “more,” anyway?) productive! Sounds like 2016 was mostly amazing, or moving, to me, is so gigantic that you did it and will do it again in a couple of years? Yikes. But mostly the boys, wow. They’re making and doing and moving and Big Dude COLLEGE? Middle Dude Boarding?? Little Dude HOME??? It’s been a HUGE big year for you!
Kristi Campbell recently posted…What Does 2017 Bring Us?My Profile

ohboymom December 15, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Yes, huge (not yuge, sorry had to say it…) year. And yeah, hoping to put off the move until 2018…trying to ignore the fact that we actually have to leave this house, which we like a lot!

Julie Clarke December 16, 2016 at 5:12 am

Wow, good luck moving. We have moved 3 times in 4 years (rental downside) but thankfully love where we live now.

ohboymom December 16, 2016 at 8:50 am

Wow, moved 3 times in 4 years…crazy! Hoping the next place we land is permanent, at least for a few years. :)

Christine Carter December 16, 2016 at 9:35 am

Oh my, Emily! You HAVE had so many changes! And I celebrate the grand ones with you, my friend! YAY for BIG DUDE!! That is a HUGE WONDERFUL ACCOMPLISHMENT!

And moving- ugh. And moving again? Double ugh.

BUT- I look forward to that BOOK in 2017!!
Christine Carter recently posted…Five Steps To Take To Care For The Suffering This SeasonMy Profile

ohboymom December 16, 2016 at 10:29 am

Thanks Chris — hoping I can at least churn out the start of a book…baby steps! :)

Just Call Me Jane December 31, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Wow, 2016 has been really busy for you and your family! I can feel your pain over the anticipation of having to move house again … I did two moves 15 months apart from each other and once the second one was done I swore I was not going to move again for a long, long time. Hope your 2017 is filled with lots of writing and reading and as little cooking as possible :)

ohboymom January 9, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Jane and happy 2017 to you too!