Halloween Grows Up

November 1, 2016 in Family life

As I sit here in a chocolate-induced haze after Halloween night, I have mixed emotions about how the night unfolded. This year, Halloween was different — different, good, but also different, bad. Or maybe I mean sad.

This was the first time our whole family wasn’t together for Halloween. So yeah, that makes me kinda sad. Both Big and Middle Dude were not home this year, because they are up in CT at their boarding school. It’s not that they missed out because they are well beyond the trick-or-treating years, but they were always great candy giver-outers and also fun “hide in the bushes and scare the kids” helpers.

The whole night felt weird because we moved to a new house two months ago so although we are technically in the same town, we are in a different neighborhood. Our former neighborhood was THE BEST location for trick-or-treaters. The houses were close together, which made for very efficient loot collecting. My kids could clean up in a matter of minutes. Conversely, we had trick-or-treaters ringing our doorbell every few minutes between the hours of 6-8pm. It made our dog a bit nuts, but we loved giving out candy to the neighborhood kids.

Our new neighborhood, however, is way more spread out. Plus, we are the house at the end of a long street that ends in a cul-de-sac. No exaggeration, we had five trick-or-treaters the whole night. That depressed me. I didn’t even need to worry about running out of Kit Kats, which I usually eat for dinner along with my traditional glass of Halloween wine. My husband kept asking, “where is everyone?” He repeatedly opened up the front door, peering out into the darkness, hoping for some costumed kids to emerge.

Meanwhile, Little Dude was out trick-or-treating with his friends, because he’s at the age where no adult supervision is necessary. He and his buddies went house to house near our old neighborhood, prime trick-or-treating country. Smart kid. He came back with several pounds of candy. I think he probably has one more season left of trick-or-treating before he is considered “too old.” This year, he barely had a costume (does a light up hat that says, “Boo” count?), but I snapped a photo anyway like I always do. Again, kind of depressing that my kids are almost done with the trick-or-treating phase.

So, I realize my synopsis of last night is mostly negative. Except there was one good outcome from the downer evening. The upside to being in a less popular trick-or-treating neighborhood was the TONS of leftover candy. Had I not mailed care packages of the leftover candy to Big and Middle Dude this morning, that stash could have lasted me a few months. Okay fine, days. But still, I have plenty left for me too, because I had to look out for their dental health, whereas I’m way past the cavity-prone years.

Bring on the sugar!

img_1818

Kristi R Campbell November 1, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Awww to the new ‘hood being less full of trick-or-treaters. One thing I love about this town house neighborhood is that it’s massively full of kids. I was a little bit sad too though – Tucker chose to hand out candy from the porch (ALONE, Mom!) rather than continuing to canvas the other houses. We were only out for about 30 minutes which is probably 90 minutes (or less? I dunno) than last year. Still, he had fun in his super-scary costume. Here’s to leftover candy (we have a bunch as well).
Kristi R Campbell recently posted…My Future Used to Live in My PocketMy Profile

ohboymom November 3, 2016 at 2:18 pm

My kids rarely lasted longer than an hour on the trick-or-treat circuit so I’m impressed that Tucker used to go for 2 hours! My kids also used to like to help doing the candy-giving and I think it’s WAY COOL Tucker wanted to do that, and alone!

Janine Huldie November 2, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Aw, we live on a cul-de-sac, too. So, we get very limited amounts of trick-or-treaters on our actual block. But my kids are still at the age where they want to be with us to trick-or-treat together. Yet, just reading this I know my years are limited. So, while I was freezing by the end of the few hours of being out with them, I still was reminded to to be grateful for what I have, as well. Oh and I have been totally eating leftovers here, too :)
Janine Huldie recently posted…9 Books to Read for the 2016 HolidayMy Profile

ohboymom November 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I recall those cold nights of trick-or-treating with my kids…great memories. I’m glad to hear you are cherishing the tradition now with your girls. :)

Christine Carter November 3, 2016 at 8:21 am

Oh Emily, that sounds so SAD. I would have been really let down with such little trick or treaters too. What a change for you! Your old neighborhood sounds SO fun for this holiday, and I’m sure it was a hard new reality for you. BUT. The great timing in this is that your kids DID get the best Halloween experience during those younger years! That is SO AWESOME. What wonderful memories they will always have of their childhood and you will always treasure too.

(Cass still went- and she told me “Mom, I think I’m going to go trick or treating through high school too) That girl. 😉
Christine Carter recently posted…Eight Things You Need To Know About People With Chronic IllnessMy Profile

ohboymom November 3, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Ha – I LOVE that Cassie wants to keep the trick-or-treating going into high school…I totally get it! And yes, you’re right – I am thankful my kids experienced Halloween in our old neighborhood!

Laurie December 16, 2016 at 10:20 am

I think that it is important to limit the amount of sugar that kids take in. Halloween can be fun with trick or treating but the majority of the stuff that they get is sugar filled and junk. I like that you limit the amount that your child has as you are worried about their dental health. One thing I see more parents are doing is letting their child pick out a certain number of pieces that they want to have and either they donate the rest or take it into work to share with others. Thanks for sharing!