One Word for the New Year

January 7, 2016 in Finish-The-Sentence Friday,Inspirational Stuff

Edits-Disruption

Edits-Disruption (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Forget those dumb resolutions. But, a word for 2016 makes a lot of sense to me. A word that has meaning and is motivating. A word that will remind me to keep following my passion, even when I’m busy and/or lazy. So, my 2016 word of the year is….

WRITE!

And yes, I need that exclamation point in there, because it’s my way of sort of yelling at myself with the command, WRITE (such as “Write, You ____!” Fill-in-the blank with any expletive.)

I decided to make this my word of 2016 after I received a year-end review from WordPress (my blogging platform) about my blog. I was shocked to see that I only posted an entry 19 times this past year. Pathetic! I used to post up to three times a week on this blog. Then it became once a week. Then, once a month…And of course not surprisingly my readership has fallen off dramatically.

To be honest, some of this was a conscious move, not so much to purposely write less, but to write when I wanted to write and not because I felt I had to publish something. And of course I have a load of other excuses as to why I wrote less, including every day distractions, focusing on other projects (freelance copywriting, a new novel, but I won’t mention that I’ve only written about 5,000 words so far), tennis (what’s wrong with a little exercise?), Netflix (which also accounts for the fact that I barely read books anymore – NOT GOOD!) and good-old fashioned procrastination.

So, I’m not going to sit here and promise my three loyal blog readers that you’ll be seeing more posts from me. I don’t like to put that kind of pressure on myself, and that’s not necessarily my goal for 2016.

My goal is to write more — anywhere — whether it is here or on my novel or on a new essay. I have realized that the quality of my writing has suffered by not making this a daily practice like it used to be. Even this blog post was a struggle to write and it also kind of sucks. However, if you’re still with me, despite my less than stellar writing, this is what I plan to do:

I’m going to try one of two things. Apparently, in her book “Big Magic,” Elizabeth Gilbert says she makes the time to write at least 30 minutes a day. And yes, I’m saying “apparently” because I haven’t actually read her book, but I plan to! (Damn you Netflix!) But yes, 30 minutes a day is her requirement for herself. 30 minutes is EASY, I can actually do that! Or, if I don’t like to watch the clock, I may try this practice instead:

Write one page a day. I have a friend who I met at my Montana writing retreat who did this for a year straight. All she had to do was write at least one page every day and she was able to produce numerous blog posts and write an entire novel. I was and am inspired!

So, maybe you’ll be hearing from me more this year or maybe you won’t. But either way, I’ll be writing SOMEWHERE. (and since it just took me 30 minutes to write this blog post, my day one of writing everyday is complete).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

P.S. This was a Finish-The-Sentence Friday post and this week’s sentence was “My 2016 word of the year is…” If you want to join the fun or read other posts that followed this prompt, click on this cute picture:

Finish-the-Sentence-Friday-150x150-1

Kristi Campbell January 7, 2016 at 11:22 pm

WRITE is a perfect word. I, too, have seen my blog stats plummet but you know what? I mean the why? Which is my word. You’ve dealt with big stuff, huge stuff, life-changing stuff. Me, too. So the stupid blog stats? Let’s just WRITE. I will hold you to it if you hold me to it?
Kristi Campbell recently posted…6 Reasons Why Asking Why is ImportantMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm

It’s a DEAL Kristi! :)

Janine Huldie January 8, 2016 at 7:26 am

Aw, I have no doubt you will be writing more where ever you do and hope it will be here selfishly so I can read more from you, but still love that you chose this as your word. Happy New Year to you too now!!
Janine Huldie recently posted…Learning Still Never Say NeverMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Janine, and if I happen to publish somewhere other than this blog, I can promise you I will let all my blog friends/readers know!

Allie January 8, 2016 at 8:33 am

I am inspired after reading this. And Write seems so obvious a word – I should have picked it! And I writing retreat in Montana? That sounds like heaven, I must click on the link and learn more… Oh, and read Big Magic, it’s fantastic and a very, very easy read.
Allie recently posted…What’s in a Word?My Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I promise to read “Big Magic” if you promise to look into the retreat in Montana – it was awesome and unique and I highly recommend it!

Judi January 8, 2016 at 10:04 am

“To be honest, some of this was a conscious move, not so much to purposely write less”
And to write with PURPOSE. I read all your blogs especially since your boys are older it helps/prepares me with/for Luca! After reading your post, I was trying to think of one word for 2016 and I finally decided on ‘Happy” – as “be” and “help to make others”

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I like “happy” too Judi – A LOT, and especially the “help to make others” part. I find that I’m happier if I can help make others happy too, even though every self-help book out there says you find happiness within yourself and not from others. But still…it’s the helping part that matters. P.S. Thank you for being one of my loyal readers no matter how much I write. :)

Julie S. January 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

Write more is a lovely goal and a great word choice!
Julie S. recently posted…Gratitude and Goals Jan 8, 2016 #GratitudeGoalsMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Julie – it seemed like the only word that worked for me right now. :)

Lisa @ The Meaning of Me January 8, 2016 at 11:11 am

I probably could have chosen write for my word for many of the same reasons you have hear. I, too, have let my blog and my writing in general fall to the wayside lately. But I’m thinking maybe I did it on purpose to regroup and really find my focus again. We’ll see!
I wish you many words and happy writing!

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Thank you Lisa and likewise to you. I think that finding my focus was also one of my reasons for writing less…I’m still not sure I’ve found it, but that’s ok too.

Lisa @ The Meaning of Me January 8, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Absolutely – life is a process!

ruchira January 8, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Write it is :)

So good to have you back and oh boy! it will be fun to tread on this journey of writing/reading.
xoxo
ruchira recently posted…The Bodhi TreeMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 1:29 pm

And so great to hear from you too Ruchira! Happy New Year!

Julia January 8, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Love your resolve and resolution for 2016! Your writers’ group will be there to support you every step of the way :) Looking forward to more reading and writing with you xo

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Julia – I always appreciate your support, both here as well as in our group and in general! xoxo

Dana January 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I almost picked “write” as my word too, Emily. I’m starting small; my goal in January is to write for 15 days, 10 minutes a day. If I do it, I’ll increase the minutes and/or the days.

I agree with you – the less you write, the harder it is to write. I fully support your goal and wish you success!
Dana recently posted…And the word of 2016 is…My Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I like your goal too – starting small is a smart way to go…I wish you luck! I hope we both get there. :)

Kenya G. Johnson January 8, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Sorry we lost touch! ‘Member me???

Netflix is the devil! Season 6 of Parenthood has been added and I’m excited about that but at the same time I don’t want to start it because then I’ll be getting my good year off to a bad start. Considering I watched all 5 seasons of Parenthood last year… um you know that’s bad.

WRITE. Yes please – me too!
Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…I Choose PeaceMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Of course I remember you! And, I like to think we didn’t lose touch – I just stopped writing and reading and so it was my fault. :) And season 6 of Parenthood is awesome – just watch it now and then you can go on a Netflix “diet.”

Kenya G. Johnson January 8, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Lol I’m really supposed to be kicking it off with do right beginning Monday. I wonder if I could look at ALL of Parenthood this weekend. ????
Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…I Choose PeaceMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Go for it! I bet you could do it, and I promise, it’s worth it!

Kenya G. Johnson January 10, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I’m all done. Wow that was good! I finished the last episode today. I was all cried out yesterday. Now that the Netflix binge is behind me I can concentrate on other stuff. Please don’t tell me what else was good on Netflix. 😉
Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…I Choose PeaceMy Profile

Chris Carter January 9, 2016 at 12:27 am

I love this! Life does get in the way of writing… oh do I get that! I always feel like I need to be in a certain ‘writing place’ in my head to actually produce anything worthwhile… and so if that doesn’t happen? NO writing is going to happen.

30 minutes a day, huh? I may try that.

I can’t wait to see MORE of your words- whether here or anywhere, Emily!!
Chris Carter recently posted…It’s Going To Be Okay, MommyMy Profile

ohboymom January 9, 2016 at 8:46 am

Thanks Chris, for your support in every way! xo

Anna Fitfunner January 9, 2016 at 6:46 pm

What a great word for the year! I’m wishing you many, many days where you write! to your heart’s content! I’m looking forward to reading so many wonderful posts from you this year!
Anna Fitfunner recently posted…The Ultimate Pinterest Party, Week 80My Profile

ohboymom January 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Thanks so much Anna – I appreciate your support!

Vince January 10, 2016 at 7:48 am

Good word, ‘write’! I have seen similar things happen lately with me and writing, right down to Netflix getting in the way of everything. It’s not even as if I’m using it to watch all the awesome programmes that everyone’s talking about on social media. Mostly I’m watching a lot of crap horror films and stuff I’ve seen 20+ times before. By the time I get around to watching Jessica Jones, for example, this century will be in its 20s and everyone will be over it.
Vince recently posted…Angry, sweary rant about local transgender organisationMy Profile

ohboymom January 10, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Ha – yes, I know what you mean. I always feel like I’m way behind the “in” shows that everyone is watching, which makes me watch even MORE Netflix as I try to catch up – UGH.

Julie Jo Severson January 10, 2016 at 11:54 am

Hi! I was nodding my head the whole time. For starters, your word. Write! Dang! I should’ve picked that one. It’s perfect. But I have to tell you, I can completely relate to the pressure we put on ourselves to please others and their expectations. I have a dwindling readership, too, because I’m not holding to any kind of schedule or frequency, usually no more than twice a month. Sometimes only once. But, you know, there’s a house, kids, career, aging parents, and LIFE! So, we do the best we can. I have GOT to read “Big Magic”, too. It’s just all the rage. That is one of my goals, too. I really enjoyed stopping by today.
Julie Jo Severson recently posted…HmmmmmmMy Profile

ohboymom January 10, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I’m so glad you stopped by too – I really appreciate your comment and it’s nice to know I’m not the only one trying to juggle LIFE and writing.

Mardra January 10, 2016 at 1:17 pm

GO Go Go!
Yes, I have a friend who says, “Waiters Wait – Writers Write.” And this word is also good because, as I have experienced using “a word” in previous years, it reminds you. What should I do next? Write. How do I get through this (whatever)? Write. How do I share joy and give to my community? Write. Oh yeah, I feel this will be a good year for you (and us, the readers.) :)
Mardra recently posted…Why you won’t find a Life Expectancy Stat in The Parent’s Guide to Down SyndromeMy Profile

ohboymom January 10, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I like your friend’s saying – it’s great! Thank you for reading and commenting and yes, I agree it will be a great reminder to have this as my word. :)

ohboymom January 10, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I’m so glad you liked it and that you binge-watched it so quickly – wow! I promise I won’t give you another Netflix show to watch! Good luck staying focused on other things and I hope I can do the same. :)