Post-Treatment Follow-Up...The List Keeps Growing! - OhBoyMom

Post-Treatment Follow-Up…The List Keeps Growing!

May 13, 2014 in Medical Stories

Contact lens

Contact lens (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Now that Little Dude is finished with his treatment, our visits to the hospital are only once a month, instead of twice a week. So, that’s good and makes our life a lot less hectic.

Or so I thought.

Now, we are playing “catch-up” with all the other health-related maintenance that we put off for the past year. Little Dude has an upcoming dentist appointment and he recently saw both his regular pediatrician and the eye doctor. Instead of being able to cross things off his medical to-do list however, we seem to be adding to it.

At the eye doctor, we discovered he needed a stronger prescription.

New glasses – done.

But then Little Dude decided he also wanted to learn how to wear contact lenses. We went back for a contact lens fitting and training and at that appointment, the doctor noticed he had some residue built up on his eyelashes. She prescribed a twice daily eye wash with baby shampoo and an antibiotic ointment at night for the next month.

And remember when I wrote about how long it took Little Dude to learn to take his Bactrim pill?

With contact lenses, we’re pretty much at Bactrim-learning levels. We budget about 30-minutes of lens putting-in time each morning. So much for ever getting to the gym ever again.

If it was just all this eye stuff, we’d be fine. But Little Dude also had to see a dermatologist recently because he developed a wart on his thumb right as his treatment was ending, which can happen to kids who have compromised immune systems. The wart has to be treated because it’s essentially a virus that can turn into an infection, given the fact that his immune system is still not back to normal. The dermatologist then prescribed this whole involved treatment regimen to get rid of the damn wart, which consists of a twice-a-day ointment, a band-aid, and then switching over to duct tape to suffocate the thing. Good times.

And?

He STILL has to take that giant Bactrim pill three days a week for the next six months. If he hadn’t finally mastered swallowing that sucker in a matter of seconds, we’d never be able to leave the house with all these other medical follow-ups. I kind of feel like I need a flow-chart to remember which issue we are treating, how and when. But, I seem to have the most responsible ten-year-old boy, who tells me when it’s time to take his pill, clean his eyes, or treat his wart.

Next week, we are going to the dentist. If he prescribes any kind of additional dental care, I’ll tell him to just explain it directly to Little Dude. My brain can only handle so much information.

Julie DeNeen May 13, 2014 at 9:56 am

That sounds really stressful!
Julie DeNeen recently posted…The Wisdom of ExperienceMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

Well, compared to the past year on the stress scale, it’s not even close to being stressful, just annoying.

Kerri May 13, 2014 at 10:46 am

You mean life doesn’t get less hectic when it is supposed to be easier to deal with? YIKES good thing Little Dude is a good sport and his mom a great multi-tasker. Cause you know the dentist is going to suggest either braces, a root canal or some every day flouride treatment that has to be applied every day with very specific instructions.

Okay, not supportive reply at all. So here: LITTLE DUDE DOESN’T HAVE TREATMENTS WOO HOO but he has a lot of other crap taking up mom’s time :)
Kerri recently posted…Thanks MomMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 11:37 am

Ha – you are so right about the dentist.:) And yes, you’re right, gotta focus on the “no more treatments” rather than all this other crapola!

Janine Huldie May 13, 2014 at 11:03 am

Definitely know with my girls I have a few different appointments to make for them and get stressed just thinking of all I have to catch up on in the upcoming months now that I put off while it was so cold and miserable here and had no desire to do until at least I didn’t have to worry about snow every other day.
Janine Huldie recently posted…The Entertainer – Lily’s Pre-School Circus ShowMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 11:37 am

Yes, I suppose it’s the season for all that stuff, with summer and camp looming and medical forms due…I didn’t even mention in this post all the appointments with my other two! :)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. May 13, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Son of a! I hereby proclaim 2015 to be the year of NO medical, dental, visual, or dermatological hassles of any kind! So… just 7 more months to go? Hugs, mama.
Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. recently posted…To the Doctor Who Bullied Me & Made Me CryMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Ok, I’m loving your proclamation…I’ll take it!

Roshni May 13, 2014 at 3:35 pm

{{hugs}} you’re doing awesome, mom!!
Roshni recently posted…The Sandwich Generation – Taking care of aged parentsMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Roshni – I figure there’s always gonna be something to stress over…

Kristi Campbell May 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Little Dude is awesome. UGH to having to deal with MORE medial stuff! Poor kid, and poor mama! Good thing he remembers so much. Here’s to the dentist being all “um, no problems here, he’s a great brusher and has zero cavities” and to the wart just (DUCT TAPE????) falling off, and no others coming up in its place, and to life back to normal. I feel also pretty lazy, as I’m not going to the gym and have no good excuses. Huge hugs to you and LD and you so so deserve a big, hugest of all, break from remembering doc appts! Also, can OBDad do the contact thing? Because really!!!
Kristi Campbell recently posted…From a dad, who thinks his wife gave his special needs son the worldMy Profile

ohboymom May 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Ha! Believe me, OBDad tried to do the contact thing with him (we both wear them too), but LD wanted no part of his “advice.” I just sit there quietly, encourage and watch him, while OBDad talks too much.:) And yes, DUCT TAPE! Can you believe that? Apparently, it suffocates the wart…who knew?!!

Chris Carter May 15, 2014 at 11:19 am

There was a time when I had charts for both of my kids… because I couldn’t keep up with all the their medicines. I remember at one point, Cassidy had 15 meds a day… and Cade had less, but enough to confuse the hell out of me. I was SO afraid I was going to administer the wrong meds to the wrong kid! They were too little to do anything themselves…

I get this. Although we never had to suffer through what you did- the endless doc appointments/treatments/medicines? I get that more than you know.
Chris Carter recently posted…She Doesn’t Remember…My Profile

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms May 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm

The catching up is so overwhelming. It just is. Hugs and strength to you. Ellen
Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms recently posted…Describing the Tsunami of Anniversary GriefMy Profile

Lana May 22, 2014 at 1:25 am

Your little boy sounds so amazing, and so do you! My son started wearing contact lenses when he was 12, and it was the most painful process – for him and me! Now he’s a pro – it just takes a little getting used to.
Lana recently posted…I Did Not Own A Little Black DressMy Profile

a June 25, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after going through some of the posts
I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!
a recently posted…aMy Profile