The End-of-Treatment Gift - OhBoyMom

The End-of-Treatment Gift

April 1, 2014 in Medical Stories,Parenting

FIFA Soccer Manager

FIFA Soccer Manager (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

This week Little Dude had his second to last treatment — only one more to go in late April! Aside from yelling a “hallelujah” from the rooftops, we feel we need to commemorate the occasion with a gift (or two or three…) for Little Dude. When I first discussed this with him a few months ago, his answer was simple and immediate:

An iPhone.

Of course that made sense. He’d spend hours on my phone at the hospital and all the nurses just assumed it was his. When he said he wanted one, my first instinct was to say “no” because his brothers didn’t get their phones until 5th grade as a graduation gift before entering middle school. But, I rationalized quickly.

He’s a 3rd child – they do everything earlier.

He deserves it after this past year.

He’s responsible and mostly uses it to play games anyway.

Within minutes I convinced myself that the iPhone would be the perfect end-of-treatment gift for him. I thought we had it all settled until one day one of the nurses overheard our discussion about this and told him to wait for the iPhone 6 to come out later this summer. That got his brain churning for other gift ideas while he waited for the new iPhone, which he’d be happy to delay receiving until 5th grade.

A few days later he came to me with this mischievous grin and told me he knew what he wanted for his end-of-treatment gift. I knew what it was before he even opened his mouth.

Coins.

Yes, I know I need to explain what COINS are and if I could, I would. You see, Little Dude is obsessed with FIFA Soccer on the Xbox and the coins have something to do with that. Exactly what, I’m not sure, but I think it relates to buying points for certain players or maybe putting them in a new soccer outfit.

Clearly, I should pay better attention to these video games. The only thing I’m quite sure of is that buying coins for FIFA soccer is the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet. We’ve bought these things a few times before, as Little Dude has convinced us that it’s ONLY $19.99 for 10,000 coins or some other ridiculous amount. After the most recent purchase, I put my foot down and said, “no more!”

You see, what Little Dude neglected to tell me initially is that he can actually EARN these coins if he plays the game long enough. In defense, he has complained that that would take far too long for his impatient 10-year old self.

The smart Dude knew that if he asked for coins as his end-of-treatment gift, I couldn’t possibly say no. And guess how many he wants?

1 million coins.

I have no idea what that gets him on FIFA, but he’s drooling at the prospect of having that many coins. Guess I’ll be flushing $100 away a month from now. I’m wondering if it’s too late to dangle an iPhone in front of him to lure him out of this madness. I tried to convince him to reconsider, to request a gift that would be memorable and lasting.

“Mom, I already met Lebron James. You can’t really give me anything else that would be better than that.”

Hmm, the kid is right. Unless…do you think I could see if Kevin Durant of OKC Thunder would make an appearance at our house, bearing an iPhone? Anyone with connections to KD, please comment below!

English: Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thu...

English: Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunders at ARCO Arena. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Janine Huldie April 1, 2014 at 8:47 am

My husband at almost 37 years old is obsessed with FIFA and PS4, so you would think I would know what these are, but I truly don’t, but sounds a way for the video game platform to make more money with in game purchases even after you pay for the actual game. I know your so. Has been throug a lot, but I had to smile, because kids will totally still be kids no matter what :)
Janine Huldie recently posted…We Just Love Them – Then I Became A Mother Book ReviewMy Profile

ohboymom April 1, 2014 at 10:03 am

So true Janine – and you’re so right about those coins – just a money maker for Xbox for sure. Your husband sounds like he and my son would get along great. :)

Kerri April 1, 2014 at 9:37 am

WOO HOO. AND I MEAN A FREAKING HUGE WOO HOO for being so close to the end of the treatment. Little Dude and his family rock for this past year of holy crapness. Now, if I had any influence I would get these players at your house, with an IPHONE, one million COINS and a massage for super mom. But I don’t. SOOOO I say we start a twitter viral whatever that worked with Lebron and when Dana @Kiss My List needed assurances that the ballplayer her son admires won’t let him down.

Who is with me? Let’s tweet this and retweet until he shows up :) @TeamKDurant
Kerri recently posted…My choice so I am fooling aroundMy Profile

ohboymom April 1, 2014 at 10:05 am

Ha – you’re too cute Kerri and I’m so with you on that massage for me..:) (and I didn’t know about the Dana@KissMyList effort – did it work?) Maybe I will give KD a tweet just for fun and btw his actual twitter is @KDTrey5 — not that I’m a stalker or anything. :)

Kristi Campbell April 1, 2014 at 9:56 am

What a relief that he’s almost done with treatment, Emily! OMG seriously what a long year and huge kudos to him and to you and to your entire family for maintaining laughter throughout the entire year. I am SO HAPPY he’s almost done and he definitely deserves 1 million coins, a new iPhone (I just got the 5s because I dropped my 4 into the toilet – again – but really wanted to wait for the iphone 6) AND a visit from KD. I don’t have any influence or connections but will join Kerri in her tweet efforts!
xo to Little Dude too!

ohboymom April 1, 2014 at 10:06 am

Well, I’m glad you think he deserves those 1 million coins, because as of this morning, he just upped his request to 2 million…OY! I’m thinking Kevin Durant showing up may be the more economical option at this point. :)

Dana April 1, 2014 at 10:49 am

Yay to almost the end of treatments! Yes, my consistent tweets to Torrey Smith ( he’s a Ravens player) did get me a tweet back, which thrilled my son. You never know, right?

ohboymom April 1, 2014 at 11:04 am

That’s so cool! And you’re right, you never know. My (and my followers) tweeting to Lebron and the Miami Heat worked, although I’m not so sure having Kevin Durant come to our house is as realistic. :)

Chris Carter April 1, 2014 at 1:50 pm

OH how wonderful to know you are soooooo close to being done with the treatments!!! I think I would be an awful person to ask for feedback, because I would probably give the kid the moon and the stars and the sun if I could…

Perhaps a pony even.

Give him 2,000,000. ;)
Chris Carter recently posted…Friendship Looks Like This…My Profile

ohboymom April 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Well, since I’m an animal lover, I’d say yes to a pony too, although I’m not sure the neighbors would like it on our 1/4 acre of property.:) As for 2 million coins, I think you read my son’s mind – he just requested that this morning!

Jill April 1, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Just wait until he gets addicted to watching the videos of FIFA video games by various amateur commentators on something called Twitch.

ohboymom April 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm

The irony of his FIFA addiction is that he hates soccer in real life – he quit playing two years ago. :)

Kelly April 2, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m such a sucker Emily, I’d have gotten the coins too:) I’ll tell ya what though…my oldest girl who’s now 25 will bring up some of the silliest memories from her childhood and those are the things that stuck with her. Now that she’s an adult she realizes how silly some of her requests were but loves us even more for accomadating her:) lol

Like freaking Yugio Cards? Yeah I bought them. A go cart? Of course!

Big sigh of relief that little guys treatments are as good as finished! What a guy!

The things we do for LOVE ❤

ohboymom April 2, 2014 at 4:20 pm

You are one wise woman Kelly – I never thought about the silly memories being so meaningful, but you’re right that they are. Looks like I’ll be purchasing some coins real soon! (And yes, those Yugio cards I do recall as well!)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. April 6, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Ha! I guess the parenting gender stereotypes are true- I have NO idea what those are, the coins or the games! ;) I think that kid deserves whatever (somewhat reasonable) end of treatment gift he can come up with! Hugs to you- the end is in sight!
Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. recently posted…Balance, That Elusive BastardMy Profile