A Tale of Two Brothers Having Blood Drawn - OhBoyMom

A Tale of Two Brothers Having Blood Drawn

April 15, 2014 in Family life,Medical Stories

January 6 - Blood Drawn

January 6 – Blood Drawn (Photo credit: Scott Hamlin)

For the past ten months, Little Dude has needed to have his blood drawn twice a week in order to monitor his blood counts during treatment. For some kids, this could be traumatic. Little Dude, fortunately, has not had a problem with it and casually offers up his arm to the phlebotomist each time. His only requirement is that she counts to three before sticking the needle in his vein.

Early on, I’d stand next to Little Dude holding his other hand for reassurance and comfort. But now, he says he doesn’t need my support and actually looks bored (or sleepy or both) during this ritual. It wasn’t until Big Dude required some standard blood work that I realized what a pro Little Dude had become with giving up his blood. Just as a comparison, this is what is was like when Big Dude — age 16 — had his blood drawn:

After screaming, “OW!” and making a pained face, Big Dude said he felt dizzy. I thought he was kidding. They took one tiny vial of blood from my 6 foot 7 son and he’s dizzy?! But he was, for real. We had to sit there for ten minutes – TEN! – before he was able to get up. As we walked out, he felt dizzy again so we sat in the waiting room, where I fed him cookies and water. After another FIVE minutes, we walked to the elevator and he said he thought he was going to faint…he crouched down on the floor and I let him squat there for a few more minutes, until he finally thought he had the strength to stand and make it out to the car.

When we got home, I relayed this chain of events to Little Dude who laughed out loud.

“What a wimp! I’m coming with you next time he needs blood taken. Now THAT would be fun to watch,” Little Dude said with a huge smile on his face.

Ah yes, brotherly love…isn’t it a beautiful thing?

[jetpack_subscription_form]

Janine Huldie April 15, 2014 at 9:49 am

Sounds like my 6’2″ husband, who gets queasy and has been known to pass out by the site of his own blood or others, too. Last year, poor Emma had a bloody nose and I had to run int he other room to get her a new shirt. When I came back in, Kevin was not he couch and Emma told me that daddy apparently wasn’t feeling so well. The 3 year old child was taking care of the 35 year old father. Priceless and I am with little dude, when I say a bit of wimp, lol!! :)
Janine Huldie recently posted…Cate & Chloe VIP Program – Our Promise Is Your HappinessMy Profile

ohboymom April 15, 2014 at 10:44 am

Ha – that’s pretty funny about your husband too!

Chris Carter April 15, 2014 at 11:11 am

I love this!! Little Dude finally can ‘ONE UP’ his brother…. and I couldn’t think of a more perfect way! BAM! ;)
Chris Carter recently posted…Devotional Dairy: Lost But Always FoundMy Profile

ohboymom April 15, 2014 at 11:20 am

Yeah I agree, it’s always fun when a younger sib can outdo an older one on something. :)

Kerri April 15, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I was waiting to read Little Dude’s reaction and was so afraid you protected Big dude from sibling rivalry. Instead you totally encouraged it. you are my type of parent!
Kerri recently posted…I will miss youMy Profile

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 9:58 am

Ha – thanks! I’m all about letting the brothers work out their differences, but it makes for lots of yelling and punching.:)

Sandy Ramsey April 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Did I read that right? You’re son is 6’7″??? Holy cow! I bet Little Dude got a huge charge out of the fact that he could stand the heat, so to speak! Has Big Dude lived that one down yet?
Sandy Ramsey recently posted…Number One Songs of 1985: The 80s (A Series)My Profile

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 9:58 am

Yup – 6 foot 7 and no he hasn’t lived it down.:)

janelle April 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hey everyone should stop picking on Big Dude. The air is different up there! We don’t know what its like! hehe

Love this and love your family
xx

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 9:59 am

Ha – Big Dude would appreciate your defense and besides, he knows you’ll always have his back. :) xoxo

Kristi Campbell April 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Aw brotherly love at its best. Has he always gotten dizzy from it? Poor big dude.
I had to crack up at Janelle’s comment too that the air is different up there. She’s got a point!
Kristi Campbell recently posted…Saying goodbye can be hard but music helpsMy Profile

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 10:01 am

Yes, so far for the two times Big Dude has had blood drawn, it’s been a near-fainting experience. And yet, last year he didn’t flinch when the doctor took a VERY long needle and drained fluid from his injured and swollen knee. I don’t get it!

Ken Green April 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Ha ha, this is rich…and how old is little dude? I used to fight the doctors and nurses every time they came at me with a needle until I got sicken with appendicitis when I was a tender twelve year old kid. Only then and from then on, I did not mind having my blood drawn. I always looked away when they first stick me and then I watch with curiosity. Oh yes, they loves my veins, so juicy and plump, awaiting to give all I got. LOL.

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 10:04 am

Little Dude is 10…and apparently very brave!

Lisa @ The Golden Spoon April 16, 2014 at 9:04 am

Ha! Sadly, I am like Big Dude! I HATE to have shots or get blood drawn. That said, many years ago we had a 6 year old foster child who had some medical issues and and to have blood drawn every so often. She never even flinched!
Lisa @ The Golden Spoon recently posted…Am I Holding Her Back?My Profile

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 10:03 am

Yeah it’s so strange to me. Little Dude says that sometimes he barely even feels the needle going in…how is that possible??!

Kelly April 16, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Tell him not to feel too bad Emily, I always noticed that the biggest men would pass out during or right after I drew blood…whenever I saw a big guy, I’d start to mentally figure out which direction he might fall in and how I was going to catch him…not kidding!

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 5:50 pm

That’s too funny Kelly…I had no idea you were a nurse and/or phlebotomist! I knew there was another reason I admired you. :)

Kelly April 16, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Don’t give me too much credit…I trained for Phlebotomy for Sleep Medicine…we did all kinds of research studies and we were always testing for the half life:) lol. I was the first tech trained and then I trained everyone else…it wasn’t as bad as you’d think really! I loved the people!

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I think that sounds fascinating! I’m a “people-person” too – it’s what makes — or breaks — a job…

Julia April 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Hurray for Little Dude for being so strong and for keeping his sense of humor through it all! Whoa – 6’7″?! Guess I haven’t seen Big Dude in a while.

ohboymom April 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Yes – 6’7″ — sooo hard to find him pants that are long enough! :)

Dana April 21, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Ha – how awesome for Little Dude to be able to rag on his big brother! I guess Big Dude won’t be donating blood anytime soon, huh? I got lightheaded the first time I gave, but at almost a foot and a half shorter than your son, I wouldn’t have fallen nearly as far!
Dana recently posted…Should I keep blogging?My Profile

ohboymom April 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I’ll admit I got very lightheaded too the first time I donated blood. Of course, in this case we are talking about one tiny vial of blood! Even so, from what I’ve been told it’s the “big guys” who seem to faint the most!