Why I Dislike Anyone Who Is On Vacation This Week - OhBoyMom

Why I Dislike Anyone Who Is On Vacation This Week

February 18, 2014 in Family life

The other day my friend posted on Facebook a picture from her Caribbean vacation, showing the beautiful turquoise water and sandy beach. Underneath her photo, I commented, “I hate you.”

I was joking, sort of of course.

But, if I would have posted a picture of MY scenery at that exact moment, it would have shown a bunch of exhausted parents and their ill children in the pediatric-oncology waiting room. Kids in wheelchairs, kids with tubes in their noses, and kids on crutches. Mostly, it was kids with their heads focused on their electronic distractions and a few others sitting at a table doing art projects to pass the time. And outside the window from where we sat was of course, what else, but yet another snowstorm. I was tempted to snap a photo and post it under my friend’s photo, but I truly like her a lot and didn’t want her to feel bad for me.

However, I was trying REALLY hard not to feel sorry for myself and my Little Dude at that moment, but it was almost impossible. I continued to surf Facebook and since it’s the winter break for most schools, my newsfeed was clogged with vacation photos. I wasn’t all that jealous of the skiing photos because after this winter, I wouldn’t care if I ever saw snow again. But, those tropical vacation photos?

WAAAHHH!!

I know I should just stay off Facebook this week and hunker down with the boys and make the best of it. But everything about this past year has felt so unfair (except of course those uplifting four days in Miami in December) that it’s difficult to not get caught up in the “boo hoo why us?” pity party every so often.

I feel as if we’ve done a pretty good job at staying strong and muddling through these hospital visits week after week. That part has become almost normal and ordinary. The challenge is when you realize that your family has had to press “pause” for a year and forego so many things that we used to take for granted. That part sucks.

And you know what else sucks? Seeing all the fun that everyone else around you is having. Before Facebook, we could choose to hibernate and not have everyone else’s vacations shoved in our faces. But now, every time I turn on my computer I can’t help myself but wander over to Facebook and become angry. Not at my friends, but at our situation.

I’ve recently told myself that I will never post pictures from our vacations again, because other people who follow my posts might be going through a tough time and not be able to travel or experience the type of vacations they used to have. You know, like us – right now. I call that my preemptive empathy, which has been in overdrive lately. But then when I thought about it more, I realized that I wouldn’t be able to do that. It’s not just that I enjoy sharing on Facebook. It’s that I have to get back at everyone who made me feel like shit this week…I’m kidding!!

Here’s what I want you to do: Check my Facebook page a year from now…I’ll be posting pictures of myself sipping a margarita under a palm tree, even if I have to make the drink at home and plant that tree myself! All homemade margarita recipes are welcome below. :)

Palm Tree

Palm Tree (Photo credit: hherbzilla)

Margarita

Margarita (Photo credit: Drunken Monkey)

Dorothy February 18, 2014 at 2:34 pm

My kids are a little bummed that we are not going anywhere exotic this year on vacation because they have some friends with the means and opportunities to do so. I like to remind them how lucky we are to have all these personal freedoms, opportunity, people they like who like them in return, etc. etc. As kids ages 20, 17 and 15- they have no interest in going with us anywhere unless it is a. very exotic and b. is a destination that will impress their peers. Personally, I’m grateful that we are able to keep it going, pay our property taxes (if you live in any the counties surrounding NYC- you understand….) , send our eldest to a good college, and enjoy some delicious home-cooked meals together on a regular basis. Perspective is everything. However, if you are pouring margaritas I would be happy to join you!
Dorothy recently posted…I feel a little illMy Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Happy to have you join me one of these days for those margaritas…and yes, I agree perspective is everything and I definitely have it now if I didn’t before…

Little Miss Wordy February 18, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Ironically, I live on a tropical island that I can’t wait to leave and wish I was in those snow covered photos I keep seeing on Facebook. Go figure. Margaritas are great any where in any temp so go ahead and set up the blender. I’m on my way! :-)
Little Miss Wordy recently posted…Always Go With Your Gut: 5 Tips On Recognizing That Gut FeelingMy Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I’ve always wondered if I grew up in a tropical climate whether I’d crave the snow or not…guess we always want what we can’t have. Happy to have you over for those margaritas some day – whether snowy or sunny!

Julie DeNeen February 18, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Oh dear. I was probably one of those huh? You deserve a SERIOUS vacation, and make it in January so we can all feel that horrible “ARGHHH I wish I was there!” feeling too. :)
Julie DeNeen recently posted…It’s 2014 and The Rules are Still Here?!My Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Don’t worry Julie, I wasn’t “hating” you, mainly because you DEFINITELY deserved your vacation too!

Sharon Greenthal February 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Sometimes its ok to be pissy. I think you earned it.
Sharon Greenthal recently posted…Is Middle Age a Narcissistic Wound?My Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Sharon – I agree! :)

Janine Huldie February 18, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I am still home hear in NY with Lily, who had a 103 fever before giving her Motrin, so I am trying to stay away from Facebook and all those vacation photos myself. Plus more snow this morning didn’t help the mood for me either! But seriously, I hope you can get a vacation in the near future once Little Dude is done with treatment and will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Janine Huldie recently posted…Dean & Grace Makes Shopping for Kids Easy & Fun Again, Too!My Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Janine…sounds like you and me both could use those margaritas after this week! Hang in there…spring is coming!

Cathy Chester February 18, 2014 at 7:06 pm

This is the post I wanted to write, Emily. Only my family reads my posts, and it’s all about them, and cancer, and not getting away, and illness, sickness, depression, aging parents, Sloan Kettering, on and on. Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through your post. It feels like it’s mine too.

A year from now, we’ll take a photo of us toasting margaritas, with smiles on our faces because our sons are healthy and we are happy. We might even be staying over at The Pierre because they want to give us a free night. Oh, boy Mom!
Cathy Chester recently posted…What Was Your Self-Image In Grade School? A Baby Boomer’s Tale Of Changing How We View OurselvesMy Profile

ohboymom February 18, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I love your prediction Cathy – margaritas and the Pierre – I’m ALL IN!

Lisa @ The Golden Spoon February 18, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Facebook is wonderful and evil all at the same time. I think you have a right to hate those photos and you definitely deserve a margarita!

ohboymom February 19, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks Lisa and I agree that Facebook is both good and bad…I’d say anyone not on vacation this week deserves a margarita or some kind of drink. No wonder yesterday was “National Wine Day” — for real!

Kim Banks February 19, 2014 at 10:15 am

I hear you. I try to stay away from social media channels sometimes because it always seems like an unwritten rule that all the posts are, “My life is infinitely better than yours!”

I’ve been on bed rest for the past 7 weeks (expecting twins in March) and it’s sometimes hard not to feel sorry for myself when I see everyone else’s fun pictures with their kids, travels, snow days, vacations, etc.

I love margaritas. Please have one for me!

ohboymom February 19, 2014 at 11:41 am

I agree that social media and especially Facebook seems to be the place where everyone tries to show their “perfect” lives…although I was never put on bed rest, I can imagine how difficult that must be. Sounds like we both need to just get through the rest of this winter and we will both have a much brighter spring…hang in there.

Kristi Campbell February 19, 2014 at 10:38 am

I’m not on vacation so can I be your new favorite? I’m sorry your view is so sucky this week. When all of Little Dude’s treatments are done, you guys have to go on THE BEST tropical vacation ever and post tons and tons of photos to make everybody jealous, okay?
Also I wish I had a margarita right now. And a beach.

ohboymom February 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

Even if you were on vacation this week, you’d still be one of my favorites. :) I like your plan to make everyone jealous – may have to do that!

Kerri February 19, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I will help you plant the tree. Okay, I won’t because I am a black thumb. BUT I will make you a terrific margarita. Yesterday I had to take off to take Boo to Children’s. Some one said how great it was that I got an extended long weekend. I wanted to answer extend this :)

I will start researching recipes now for next February…
Kerri recently posted…Don’t hideMy Profile

ohboymom February 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Ha – I would have wanted to answer such a ludicrous comment in the same way! I’m a black thumb too, but I’ll take you up on that margarita one of these days.:)

Julia February 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Flemmy you are so not a hater–do not succumb! This too shall pass and it will go down in the annals of history as the “year that SUCKED.” In answer to your question NO we don’t want to be in that crappy snowstorm flippin crazy ass freezing weather in the winter. At all. Ever. We want you to come down here and visit us. Or possibly move here. Because we miss you. And we love you. Take heart. Four more weeks till spring.