Gratitude - OhBoyMom

Gratitude

February 25, 2014 in Family life,Inspirational Stuff

Since Little Dude’s diagnosis, our friends and neighbors have rallied around us to support us through the toughest time our family has ever faced. We’ve received loving cards, caring phone calls, texts, and emails, as well as an abundance of beautiful gestures. My husband has said to me, “it’s the deeds — not words — that can be so meaningful.” He’s right. Sometimes it’s so hard to find the right words in situations like this, but with a gesture, no words need to be spoken. We feel the love. Thank you, thank you, thank you…our gratitude is immense for everyone who has been — and continues to be — such wonderful supporters to our family.

Here’s just a sampling of the wonderful gestures we have gratefully received:

A Buddha statue. I love this. This was one of the very first gifts we received and I immediately felt comfort from it. A Buddha statue can have different meanings, depending on the pose. We received a medicine Buddha, which signifies healing.

The meal train and all those wonderful dinners, whether home-cooked, store-bought, or take-out….ALL GOOD!

And more meals from others who were not part of the meal train, but still wanted to help

A necklace (A hand or Hamas – symbol of protection)

A bracelet (with stones possessing symbols of healing and protection)

Another bracelet engraved with the words, “Be Strong.”

A video birthday message to Little Dude from the entire 4th grade

An iPad mini for Little Dude from a bunch of 4th grade parents

An iPad mini and a gently used Xbox for use during our stay up in Boston

3 gift certificates for a mani/pedi (all from the same person!)

A gift certificate to one of our favorite restaurants

A gift certificate to the local pizza place – simple, but so practical!

Several iced teas delivered to our door (those were for me, the iced tea junkie)

Starbucks gift cards (those went straight to iced tea and chai tea)

A plaque that reads: I Just Rescued Some Wine…It Was Trapped In A Bottle (LOVE THAT!)

Books for both Little Dude and me

Italian ices – in several flavors too!

An honorary certificate for Little Dude from a school Free Throw competition, personally delivered by both gym teachers. And, a special gift from Carvel ice cream was also hand delivered by them.

Numerous toys, games, and gifts for Little Dude

An anonymous gift certificate for a massage for Little Dude

Baked goods galore (banana breads, cookies, brownies, cupcakes…oh my!) No wonder I’ve gained back the 7 pounds I lost after this all began

Other fun foods like giant popcorn tins, candy bouquets, chocolate covered fruit, and oh yeah LOTS of candy

A one-year Netflix subscription (I am now officially a Netflix addict)

Offers to come to the hospital and sit with Little Dude and me. I was so touched that several people offered this. I had to turn them down, mainly because we are in tight quarters at the hospital and there simply isn’t room for visitors. But what a caring offer.

I know I’m forgetting some gestures, but I wanted to remember as many as I could because it’s been so heartwarming to be the recipients of such kindness. I hope some day I can return the kindness to each and every person who has been there for us. Little Dude has a few more treatments to go, but at least we are in the home stretch now. And we are grateful for everyone who is helping us through this challenging time. We hope you all know who you are!!

xoxoxo,

600799_10151710528564428_3783710_n

Janine Huldie February 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Absolutely wonderful offers and you honestly got so many that I was amazed at how many times I just kept scrolling down. It does prove there are so really wonderful, good people left int his world. So, glad others have been so kind and generous to you and your family in your time of need :)
Janine Huldie recently posted…It’s Really 10 Months, But Who Is Counting…My Profile

ohboymom February 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I agree Janine. It’s been a tough year, but it was made a little easier with such wonderful support.

Kelly February 25, 2014 at 6:33 pm

You know sometimes it’s the smallest gestures that remind us how much human kindness means! I think it’s kind of weird that people are so driven to get bigger, more or better things when at the end of the day it’s all the little things that truly gratify us…like having a sip of your favorite coffee or getting a hug or a warm supper. We don’t really need all that much stuff to be happy!

I’m so glad you have good people in your circles:)

ohboymom February 25, 2014 at 6:43 pm

It’s so true about the little things being so gratifying…if I go to our local Cosi and have an iced tea, it truly makes my day better. And yes, hugs are pretty good too. :) BTW, you are one of my “good people” too in case you didn’t know that. xo

Kelly February 25, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Ya made my day…see…it’s always that small stuff that brings the best feelings! THANK YOU!

ohboymom February 25, 2014 at 9:14 pm

And thank YOU too! :)

Dana February 25, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I’m glad this year has been made a little easier by your wonderful friends and family, Emily. And that you are in the home stretch!
Dana recently posted…Not-so-guilty pleasures, the music editionMy Profile

ohboymom February 25, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Thanks and yes, we are almost at the finish line!

Jennifer Steck February 25, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Sometimes it takes a tough time to realize how many people are rooting for us. I’m so sorry to hear about Little Dude’s struggle, but glad that you have so much incredible support.
Jennifer Steck recently posted…Sharing Incredible MomentsMy Profile

ohboymom February 25, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thanks – and you’re right, you definitely find out who you can count on in bad times.

Lisa @ The Golden Spoon February 25, 2014 at 10:05 pm

So sweet to hear about the kindness you have received! We hear so much bad in the world, it is wonderful to hear something positive.
Lisa @ The Golden Spoon recently posted…The Perfect Day – Tuesday Ten LinkupMy Profile

ohboymom February 26, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I agree – I think that’s one of the reasons I posted this – to show that there are LOTS of good people out there!

Kristi Campbell February 25, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I am beyond glad that your community – both there, and online has rallied around you so much. So much. I pray for you and Little Dude every day. And think about you much more than that.

ohboymom February 26, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I know you do and it means so much, truly. My online community (ie, YOU and others) have been just as much of a support as my IRL community!

Chris Carter February 26, 2014 at 12:08 am

That’s how it should be… and I love that you are loved so dearly through deeds and prayers and gestures and even possibly words.

You and your little Dude are amazing.

I wish I could DO something for you too…
Chris Carter recently posted…Devotional Diary: What Is God’s Dream For You?My Profile

Julie Burton February 28, 2014 at 9:26 am

So glad to hear that you and your family have been showered with all these wonderful gifts and gestures, and so glad that you guys are on the home stretch. I think about you and the little dude often and send prayers from Minnesota!

ohboymom February 28, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thanks Julie – I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers — we’re almost at the finish line!

Sindhu February 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm

It is indeed the actions that speak much louder than words. I’m glad to see you are surrounded by so much love (and so many good people) during these testing times. I’m new to your blog, so I’m still reading and learning about your experiences, but I can see you’re a tremendously strong and positive mother. I am awed by what I see here. That’s why I have come back, and I know I’ll keep coming back. :)
Sindhu recently posted…My forever ValentinesMy Profile

ohboymom March 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Thanks so much – I truly appreciate that!

Melanie Chisnall March 4, 2014 at 8:58 am

Those are some really special gestures and gifts Emily! So nice of people to think of you as well, thought Little Dude was certainly spoiled as well – wow! :) It’s great to see how many friends and caring people you have in your lives – it just makes the tough times like these that much easier to get through.
Melanie Chisnall recently posted…Healthy Lunch: Vegetarian Quiche with Beetroot and Feta (Gluten-Free)My Profile

ohboymom March 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

I agree Melanie — having the caring thoughts and gestures makes a big difference in mustering the strength to get through trying times.