How My Family Became Netflix Addicts - OhBoyMom

How My Family Became Netflix Addicts

January 8, 2014 in Family life

Image representing Netflix as depicted in Crun...

Image via CrunchBase

I suppose it all started with the show, “Orange Is The New Black.” I kept hearing everyone rave about it and a friend of mine pleaded with me to watch it already. When I searched Apple TV (our go-to TV/Movie watching system), I couldn’t find it. That’s when I discovered it was only available on Netflix.

Netflix?

I hadn’t been a member of Netflix for years, not since the days of ordering DVDs from them through the mail. We’ve been Apple TV devotees for a while now and have loved the convenience of streaming a multitude of movies and TV shows right into our family room with just the press of a few buttons on the remote. Netflix seemed so last decade to me.

When I mentioned to another friend that I was too cheap to join Netflix just to watch one particular show, she and and yet another friend took it upon themselves to make sure I didn’t deprive myself: they ordered me a one-year subscription to it.

I was so touched by their gesture and knew that I did not want their gift to go to waste. I immediately downloaded the App and cuddled up with my iPad at 10pm that night so I could watch “Orange Is The New Black.”

I was hooked after the first episode. I kept my 10pm “date” with my iPad almost every night so that I could watch the first season of this series in its entirety.

When I finished watching the full season, I was not only bummed that it was over and I’d have to wait until a new season, but I was a bit lost.

Now what was I supposed to watch?

I browsed around the other TV shows and before I knew it, I had a list of shows that I had never seen, but had always heard were excellent.

I am currently cruising through episodes of the series, “Parenthood.” Next up will be “Breaking Bad.”

And so, you’re probably wondering how the rest of us became  Netflix binge-watchers too. Well, those treatment days at the hospital are loooong. There’s only so much Spongebob and iPhone games that a boy can take. One day I offered Little Dude my iPad to see if he’d want to watch a show and before I knew it, he was a Netflix junkie too.

The other night I suggested to my husband that we watch the series, “Friday Night Lights” with the boys, because hey, who doesn’t love a good football plot line? The outcome of that experiment?

Let’s just say we are now a family of five that needs to enter a Netflix rehab facility…but we won’t check in until AFTER we finish Season five.

[jetpack_subscription_form]

Janine Huldie January 8, 2014 at 8:05 am

I keep hearing all these great things about Orange in the New Black, but just don’t have enough time in the day to get into that or any other new show now. I finally just started reading books again and finding a few extra minutes to spare for that, but still don’t think I could squeeze anymore time out of the day now. But glad you were gifted a year’s subscription (that was so nice of your friends) and that you have been able to find some time to get into all these new shows with your family, too.
Janine Huldie recently posted…Starting the Goodreads 2014 Challenge with The Fault in Our Stars – Book ReviewMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:46 am

Well, I still think you should try to make the time for “Orange Is The New Black.” It’s only one season and not that many episodes. As for reading? I will admit that I am reading way less books these days, which is definitely the downside. But right now, I’m too addicted to stop!

kcf January 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

Don’t stop until you’ve watched Breaking Bad, too! The way I look at it, this is a small price to pay for such much pleasure, especially when it’s quality programming and movies, not just junky, surf-the-TV for whatever is on stuff. And, it sounds like your family deserves the fun, as you do!

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:44 am

Thanks Kim – I agree, small price to pay, although I will admit my reading of books these days has gone waaayy down…

Jennifer Steck January 8, 2014 at 9:13 am

I just started Breaking Bad on DVD. I know I’m way behind the Netflix curve, but I’m still made at them after they changed their plan a few years ago that included both online and sending DVDs. I’ll get over it some day.
Jennifer Steck recently posted…Finding my Twitter TwinMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I guess I’m behind the curve too because we dropped the DVD plan a while back, before they starting online streaming. I can see how their combined plan would be annoying to someone who only wants DVDs or vice versa.

Jhanis January 8, 2014 at 9:18 am

To be a couch potato has been a rare treat in the house since the toddler discovered Disney. I think the last series I saw was Desperate housewives Season 5 and I didn’t even get to see the season finale. I am sooo lost.
Jhanis recently posted…Lethargic MamaMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I was a Desperate Housewives fan for a while, but then stopped watching although I can’t remember why. Hmm, maybe I’ll have to pick up where I left off. As for you, the key is to watch your Netflix shows on your iPad at night after everyone is in bed — you’ll catch up then!

Amy January 8, 2014 at 9:48 am

We are total Netflix addicts here too. My 10 year-old is currently watching How It’s Made (15 seasons!) and my teen and I watch the history documentaries to supplement her studies. It all started with Lost for us…I had never gotten to see the final season, so we started over from the beginning so my oldest could catch up. We watched compulsively and when it was over, we were lost with nothing to watch. :)
Amy recently posted…From Overwhelmed to GratefulMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Oh how I miss Lost! One of my favorite shows ever…hmm, maybe I should watch it again.:) Glad to hear we’re not the only addicted family and as far as I’m concerned, if it’s promoting bonding time with our kids, then it’s all good.

Kristi Campbell January 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

Uh oh I’ve never seen Orange is the new black! Or Breaking Bad. I love Dexter, True Blood, Shameless, Homeland, The Newsroom, um… Nurse Jackie, US of Tara (which I’m not sure what happened to), and other cable shows. Tucker is totally a Netflix addict. I don’t blame you at all (and how awesome to hang out in bed and catch up?? Although I have to be careful that I only watch 1/night).

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Ok, you MUST watch “Orange Is The New Black.” You MUST! I also want to watch Homeland — I know I’m so late to the party on that one…so much Netflix, so little time!

Michelle Liew January 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

We just had our fibre optic broadband installed here…..I’m going to became addicted too! Thanks for sharing,Emily!
Michelle Liew recently posted…My Little SisterMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Enjoy it and I’ll see you at rehab! :)

Marina January 8, 2014 at 10:35 am

A healthy addiction! That’s the way I like to look at it. Breaking Bad is a must!! All seasons, although the final one is not available on Netflix yet. I started watching Carrie Diaries (prequel to Sex and the City). It keeps me connected to my teen daughter plus I get to watch 80’s fashion and music re-imagined:) So happy everyone is enjoying this much needed distraction!

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Yes, I agree – a healthy addiction, especially if it’s promoting bonding time with our kids. :) I may have to check out the Carrie Diaries – sounds like something I’d like…Thanks again to you and Stacey for the subscription — as you can see, it’s being put to good use by us all! xoxo

christine January 8, 2014 at 10:52 am

We also started w/ the DVD mail order but years ago when they jacked up the price, we dropped but kept streaming. While I don’t like the movie selection, when regular tv is on hiatus (holidays etc) we totally find new TV series to watch, nevermind the fact that I can plant my kids in front of it so I can do something glamorous like empty the dishwasher w/out their “help”!
christine recently posted…The Wednesday Roundup & A Birthday Goody Bag IdeaMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I agree that the movie selection on Netflix is “eh.” And if it works as a babysitter for your kids, I say it’s a win-win for you!

Jenn @comebackmomma January 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I totally relate. My kids LOVE Netflix. My son could watch episodes of “Mythbusters” every night.
Jenn @comebackmomma recently posted…Healthy Recipe: Banana BreadMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’m glad to hear we’re not the only family addicted…I just hope I go back to reading books again. :)

Cathy Chester January 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I love it! I’ve streamed a lot through Netflix when I’m on the treadmill (need to start that up again) and at night. Old TV series like “The Rockford Files”, “Columbo”, “Murder She Wrote” (I love that she’s a writer using an “old” typewriter and living in coastal Maine. Doesn’t get better than that.) It’s been fun.

The Apple TV is probably extraordinary! Now you’re all set. Back to books now….

Love this post, Emily.
Cathy Chester recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Frigid Temperatures Make Me Long For VacationMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Hmm, now you’ve made me want to watch “Murder She Wrote.” I agree – back to books, before I’m lost to Netflix forever!

Pam Houghton January 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm

My daughter has been binge-watching shows on Netflix. I guess up to four people can use the same account. I can see myself succumbing then needing rehab as well. So curious about what’s available. You will LOVE Friday Night Lights. One of the BEST shows ever. Fine, fine stuff.

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Yes, we are ALL loving Friday Night Lights (I have 3 boys, all of whom play sports)! We are only in Season 1 right now, but making quick headway through the episodes. If you succumb to it, I’ll meet you in rehab. :)

Aussa Lorens January 8, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Ha! Oh, I totally feel ya. The most beautiful thing about Netfix is the ability to steal it from other people if you know their password (thanks, oldest brother). I’m pretty sure I watched the entire first season of “Orange is the New Black” in about two days– two days that involved zero washing of my hair or other healthy acts of daily living.
But it was totally worth it.
Aussa Lorens recently posted…AT&T: The Pantless WonderMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I agree – bypassing daily living to watch Orange Is The New Black is completely reasonable to me!

Chris Carter January 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I want to watch ALL of those shows!!! I need to figure out where to fit it in…. I can’t keep up with it! I have heard such great things about them too. Sigh… I am going to try to at least finish season three of Downton Abbey. Then we’ll see! :)
Chris Carter recently posted…The Road Oft TraveledMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Downton Abbey was the first series I watched on my iPad…enjoy!

Lillian from It's a Dome Life January 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I keep laughing about Netflix being so last decade because I actually still get the discs sent by mail. We live in a rural area where internet that streams well is hard to find. I feel so last decade…haha! In more ways than one…sigh….

I want to see Orange is the New Black so bad now.

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Since you live in a rural area, I can excuse you getting the discs by mail.:) Order Orange is the New Black ASAP – you won’t be sorry!

David Goldstein January 8, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose!!!

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:56 pm

HA! David, you should know that we started Friday Night Lights after I saw your post about it the other day…this is all your fault! :)

David Goldstein January 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I thought the timing was crazy. I even said to my kids – a friend of mine is doing the same thing we are (watching FNL) at the same time :)

David Goldstein January 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Also don’t forget – House of Cards. Another great Netflix original

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I heard about that one too…adding it to the queue!

Liz McDonald January 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Emily can’t wait to hear what you think of Breaking Bad – it is the best tv EVER!!!!

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 8:57 pm

That’s what everyone says…I may never read another book again at this point, although someone recently gave me the book, “Orange is the New Black.” I had no idea it was based on a true story!

Kate January 8, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Ohhh I am just as hooked on Netflix. As I’m writing this, I’m watching Undercover Boss on Netflix. It’s great for those all day marathons! But dangerous because you keep hitting next!
Kate recently posted…Humpday ConfessionsMy Profile

ohboymom January 8, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I agree — sooo dangerous that you can just keep going and going…however, I applaud you multi-tasking by commenting on blogs and watching at the same time! :)

Kelly January 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

My name is Kelly and I’ve been a Netflix addict for a couple of years now…I think we might need a group for therapy?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Orange is the New Black! I followed the true news story, when Piper was going thru her trial. So when she got out and wrote the book, I read it right away. When the series aired…Dave watched it with me and we were both hooked!

Crazy Eyes…she is my favorite! OMG…remember when she does that empassioned poem in the yard to Piper? Hahaha. Love it!

ohboymom January 9, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Ha – yes, LOVE Crazy Eyes! I’m embarrassed to say I had no idea it was a true story and then someone gave me Piper’s memoir recently. I’d read it except I’m too busy watching all my other Netflix shows! Yes, I think we do need group therapy ASAP!

Kate Hall January 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I have been there, Emily. I started with documentaries, then The Office – the episodes I had missed, then The Office-UK, then Breaking Bad. At the time, they didn’t have the last season of BB on Netflix and so I was freaking out, but it turned out I found it by googling it and watched it elsewhere. Then I started watching movies and then Christmas came and went and I somehow got out of watching on the day after Xmas. I don’t know how or why, but I’m glad because now I have two more hours in my day and time to read and write and spend with my kids. I’m sure Netflix will be luring me in soon again.
Kate Hall recently posted…I Attract Toothless Men and Not-So-Smart People, ApparentlyMy Profile

ohboymom January 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I know what you mean – I feel like I never read or write anymore because I’m too obsessed with my Netflix time! I can’t believe how much good TV I missed out on for all these years…I figure eventually I’ll catch up and go back to reading books again. :)

Lisa Newlin January 9, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I’m so glad you have good friends who introduced you to Netflix streaming. It’s amazing! I love “Orange is the New Black” (although they took some liberty from the book). “Breaking Bad” is awesome and you will love every episode. You will also fall in love with Aaron Paul, who plays Jesse Pinkman. You will have to get in line behind me though because we are going to be together forever.

Someone else has told me watch “Friday Night Lights” but I can’t convince my husband to watch it. Convince me!

If you want to watch a clever comedy, try “Raising Hope.” It sounds like something I wouldn’t like but I love everything about it.

There can never be a Netflix rehab becaue everyone in America would be there. I bet they’d have really good entertainment
Lisa Newlin recently posted…John Hughes and manipulating husbands. A great start to a new year!My Profile

ohboymom January 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I didn’t think I could convince my husband to watch “Friday Night Lights” but if you can get through the pilot (the very first episode is kind of boring until the end..), then I promise you will both be hooked…try it!! And you’re right about the rehab! Can’t wait to start Breaking Bad…

Rhonda January 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I love binge watching netflix! I’m going to start on Orange is the New Black this weekend. I’m sure it won’t be long until I’m looking for the next show to watch too!
Rhonda recently posted…Help! I Can’t Pick Just One Douchebag! DOWA #5My Profile

ohboymom January 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

You’ll love Orange is the New Black!

Melanie Chisnall January 17, 2014 at 5:12 am

This Netflix thing sounds like something I want! Since we don’t have a TV in the bedroom anymore, there are nights – or lazy days – when I just want to get cosy and cuddle and watch some great shows. I’m going to have to check this out! Hope we can get it here…

On the note of Breaking Bad… Just a word of warning: Once you start, you won’t be able to stop. That show is ADDICTIVE. We loved it! Started watching it about 2 months ago – all 5 seasons one after the other, and when we were finished we both sat there in a daze. What on earth were we going to do now?! Lol! I’ve started watching it again from the beginning. it’s just one of those shows that will go down in the history books because the concept was so clever, the characters were so engaging and the story… wow. You’ve got to watch it. That’s all I’ll say ;)
Melanie Chisnall recently posted…Starting to Run and a New Green Juice Daily “Healthy Fix”My Profile

ohboymom January 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I promise Breaking Bad is next on my list – can’t wait!