What Our Holiday Card Could Have Looked Like (Rated R version) - OhBoyMom

What Our Holiday Card Could Have Looked Like (Rated R version)

December 29, 2013 in Family life

As many of you know, 2013 was a really crappy year for our family. I hesitated to even send out holiday cards this year, because the past eight months have been rough. A huge loss followed by a shocking diagnosis — not exactly the year I wanted to remember. However, taking the holiday photo of my boys is always an “event” and each year, I kind of look forward to taking a funny or theme-related photo. The boys usually agree, although sometimes a few bribes are thrown in to make it happen the way I want.

The card came out pretty good, with all three dudes relaxing with their feet up on our outside table and their hands clasped behind their heads. The greeting said, “Wishing You A Relaxing Holiday and New Year.” On the back of the card, there was a picture of our dog Matilda who looked kind of angry with the words, “…And Good Riddance To 2013.” I’d show it here, but my boys do not want me to post photos of them on my blog so you’ll just have to imagine it.

Our card got my point across I suppose, but in truth, the card I REALLY wanted to send out would have had a visual of the three boys giving the middle finger along with the phrase, “F-U 2013.” I wouldn’t have even needed to bribe the boys to pose for that one – I’m sure they would have readily agreed! I was very close to producing the card or at least simulating it here, but decided that some of my readers may have found it to be in poor taste.

And then when I thought more about it, I realized that I had to let my anger go and focus on the positive. There WERE positive times in 2013 (although I can count them on one hand) and as my fellow friend and blogger Julie pointed out in her final post of the year, she doesn’t want 2013 defined by a few bad months. Because as Julie said, life is more than just being about the highs and lows — it’s about the in-between stuff, the mundane moments. Those are what really matter.

She is right.

So, I’ve decided to put my anger about 2013 aside and focus on making 2014 a much better year for our family. In other words, I’m taking the mature, high road. :)

English: New Year card

English: New Year card (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Wishing you all a very happy, peaceful, and healthy New Year!

IMPORTANT! Facebook is changing its rules again (surprise!) and in order for you to see activity from fan pages like Oh Boy Mom in your newsfeed, bloggers will have to pay Facebook. Which I’m too cheap to do. So if you want to stay up-to-date with my posts, I’d love it if you’d subscribe via email! All you have to do is type in your email below and hit “subscribe.” THANK YOU!!

Rhonda December 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I agree! Here’s to a better 2014! :D
Rhonda recently posted…Mat Staver: The Homophobic Douchebag – DOWA #4My Profile

Kristi Campbell December 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I love your idea of the flip-off card, although I know that you already know I’, not the reader who would have been offended. Still, I’m impressed with your high road and send you and the dudes best wishes for one kickass 2014.
XO, Emily!!

ohboymom December 29, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Thanks…I could never have made it through this year without the support of people like you. xo

Kristi Campbell December 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I’m (sorry and dangit one-hand typing!!!!)

ohboymom December 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Ugh – completely understandable! I’m impressed you’re typing at all.

Veronica December 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm

To a new year. Fresh start for all….xo, V.

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Thanks lady – back at ya! xoxo

Kelly December 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

That’s what I’m talking about :-). Happy New Year – and I wish you the very best 2014 any finger flipping family can have! Lmao. I’d have LOVED to see that Christmas Card! That would be priceless for sure!

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Oh I know Kelly – you are definitely one of the people who I KNOW would have appreciated that card — and that’s a compliment by the way in case you weren’t sure. Keep making me smile in 2014 and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Sandra Sallin December 30, 2013 at 12:39 am

I’m all for the finger flipping card. But I loved the photo of the boys in the chairs. Hoping next year is soooooo much better than the past year.
Sandra Sallin recently posted…WOW! WE’VE BEEN MARRIED 53 YEARS AND IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTERMy Profile

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thanks Sandra – I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. Happy New Year!

Kerri @ Undiagnosed but okay December 30, 2013 at 8:58 am

I would have loved to see the F-U card. You should have had Kristi drawn it with one hand. Just imagine the possibilities. I admire your high road. But since I am immature I will say this: 2014 you better be kind to Emily & her dudes or we are going to have a serious problem!
Kerri @ Undiagnosed but okay recently posted…A year of thankfulMy Profile

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Kerri and you’re right it would have been a great card for Kristi to draw – perhaps I’ll commission her for my next crude idea. :) Happy New Year to you and your family and thank you for your “immature” message – it’s great!

Julia December 30, 2013 at 10:32 am

Loved reading your sentiments on 2013. Here’s to a happy, healthy, fresh start in 2014!

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Julia and all good things to you too in 2014!

Carolyn Myers December 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I agree with you! I’m so glad 2013 is over! It has been a terrible year for my family! My husband has been going through cancer on his face for two years now with 15 surgeries and more to come. He was on his way to having his nose reconstructed when more cancer was found three separate times. He is now back where he started and has to have it reconstructed all over again. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June, had a lumpectomy and radiation while he was going through three major surgeries. He had a feeding tube put in so I have been his full time caregiver also. Neither one of us are working and our whole family lives with us, two daughters, a son-in-law and three grandbabies. The other day my dryer broke and yesterday the only car we have broke down. So I’m praying that 2014 is a better year! It certainly can’t be much worse! It is very hard to stay positive, but I’m trying! Here’s hoping 2014 is better for you too!

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Oh I’m so sorry to hear you and your family have had such a tough year too. I hope that the family and friends you have around you will support you through these challenging times. I agree that things have to get better – I feel the same way. I know it’s so hard to stay positive, but I can tell just by reading your comment that you have a huge reserve of strength that will bring you and your family to a better place. Sending you the same hopes and prayers for a much better 2014.

Kenya G. Johnson December 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Happy New Year Emily – Cheers to a blessed non-crappy new year!
Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…A Christmas Eve Story…My Profile

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Kenya and Happy New Year to you too!

Kim December 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I would have totally done the F-U card and done without caring what others think. Spent too much of this year worried about what some readers might think about my language then finally decided to stop caring. My blog, my rules. The right readers will laugh and enjoy the snarky, sassy sense of humor complete with the occasional F-bomb. LOL
Kim recently posted…End of the Year Wrap Up: Saying Goodbye to 2013!My Profile

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Yeah I know what you mean and believe me, I’ve used plenty of obscenities in other posts. I think snarky blogs are the best!

Dana December 30, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I would have loved an F-U card, but I understand wanting to take the high road. Maturity isn’t nearly as fun, though. Wishing you and your family a better 2014, Emily!
Dana recently posted…Top ten books of 2013My Profile

ohboymom December 30, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I agree that maturity isn’t fun…I promise to bring some immaturity to future posts though. :) Happy new year to you and your family too!

Cathy Chester December 31, 2013 at 6:35 am

If I need to get on your Christmas card list I will beg, because a photo of your boys flipping the bird or relaxing would make my year complete, along with the “other” message you intended. Which is the exact same one as mine. Only I didn’t send out any cards this year.

Although I agree with you and the philosopher Julie, I still have anger. Yes, there were many, many moments that made up parts of the year that were great. Yes, life is made up of good and bad moments. But, there you have it. I still am angry.

You are a gem, and I love this post and the writer.

Biggest hugs…
Cathy Chester recently posted…How A Boy, His Grandfather And A Bottle Of Port Reminded Me Of My BlessingsMy Profile

ohboymom December 31, 2013 at 10:57 am

Cathy, I’d love for you to be on our card list — message me your address! I still have anger too..we are both human. :) Biggest hugs back at you and thank you once again for being such a support to me this year. xo

Kim Banks December 31, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh I can totally relate. When ringing in the New Year, I always think about the very highs and the very lows – and each year has plenty of each to be honest with you! I do like the idea of starting over fresh in a new year but also know that I will be setting the bar way too high if I expect 2014 to be chocked full of awesome high points without a single disappointment or mundane day.

Happy new year!!

ohboymom December 31, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yes I agree and never like to set my expectations too high. The way I figure it though, 2014 HAS to overall be better than 2013, at least for me. Happy New Year to you too!

Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. January 3, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Well, I suppose I will applaud you for taking the high road, but I would’ve loved to see your R-rated holiday card! And would it be all right if I flip the bird to 2013 and shout some obscenities on your behalf? ;) Happy to say I’m already a subscriber to Oh Boy, Mom. In fact, you were one of my first blog friendships when I started over a year ago! (Remember when there were like 10 Bloppys? HA!)
Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. recently posted…Aiming for Mediocrity: Why I’ll Settle for a Good Enough 2014My Profile

ohboymom January 5, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Thanks so much for being one of my loyal subscribers and you too were one of my first blog friendships in our bloppy group — it’s amazing how much the group has grown and how much we’ve all grown as bloggers too. And yes, I’d be more than happy to have you flip the bird at 2013 for me…here’s to a MUCH better 2014!

Melanie Chisnall January 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

Oh gosh, Facebook and their silly rules! I think I must post something similar on my blogs. I’ll get there! Here’s to hoping for a MUCH better 2014 for you and your family. I love reading your blogs… would have loved to have seen that photo though, and the F_U one, lol!
Melanie Chisnall recently posted…Easy Homemade Ice Cream Recipe without Using a Machine!My Profile

ohboymom January 7, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Thanks Melanie and happy 2014 to you too! Glad to see you blogging again on Scribbles and Smiles! I always love reading your posts too…