Yesterday, I Met Wonder Woman - OhBoyMom

Yesterday, I Met Wonder Woman

November 19, 2013 in Hospital Tales

Wonder Woman Covers

Wonder Woman Covers (Photo credit: jooleeah_stahkey)

I recently published a post about our experience in waiting rooms and how they can mean more than just waiting. In case you missed it, click here to read it. The reason why I am bringing it up again, is that just yesterday, one of the other moms in the waiting room struck up a conversation with me. She is one of the parents I always see and with whom I politely exchange hello’s, but we’ve never had a conversation.

Until yesterday.

She was in a chatty mood and asked how Little Dude’s treatment was going. Her son had finished treatment not that long ago and was waiting for a routine check-up. His hair was already grown in and his cheeks were a healthy, rosy red. His mom shared details about his condition, and of course seemed curious to know about Little Dude. Although I don’t usually like to share specifics, especially with strangers, I felt like it would be rude to hold back too much. I disclosed to her what he had and how he was being treated, but left it at that. Her son had been through a lot, including 9 months of treatment and having part of his leg amputated, but he was managing his prosthetic well, and hoped to resume playing baseball soon.

The whole time I was talking to this woman, I noticed she had a scarf tied around her head.

I thought to myself, “No way, it couldn’t be. That would not be fair. At all.”

And then she told me.

During her son’s treatment, she too was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery, and was now undergoing chemotherapy.

Talk about having strength. She is Hercules compared to me.

From day one of Little Dude’s diagnosis, I wished it was me, instead of him having to endure all of this.

But, since we can’t will it any other way, I am at least thankful that I am able to take care of him and be by his side through this whole ordeal.

And now I’m going to say the phrase out loud that I hated everyone saying to me: “I can’t imagine…”

But truly…I can’t imagine being sick myself and not being able to take care of my child who is also sick.

But somehow, this woman made it look easy.

She was smiling and talking about her situation like it was an annoying inconvenience.

I was and am still awed by her.

No question in my mind: I think I met a real life Wonder Woman yesterday.

Janine Huldie November 19, 2013 at 9:38 am

Wow,I seriously couldn’t imagine. I have said when my kids are hurt by something that I wish it were me instead of them, but never thought about being sick alongside of them for whatever reason and not being able to take care of them. I really do agree, she sounds like Wonder Woman to me for sure!
Janine Huldie recently posted…The PINcentive Blog Hop (Week 11) & GIVEAWAY!My Profile

ohboymom November 19, 2013 at 10:05 am

She was a Wonder Woman — and smiling the whole time!

Sheryl November 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

This is terribly hard to imagine and terribly sad. But, the woman you met is truly a wonder…and I’m sure her attitude is helping both her son and herself. My thoughts are with you and your son, and all others who are facing health challenges.

ohboymom November 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Her attitude helped me too…I figure if she can go through all those challenges, then I can handle mine too.

don November 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

What a strong woman! Maybe having to take such good care of her son has helped her to keep her mind of her own situation a little bit? Not my business. Either way, great mom’s rock!!
don recently posted…Why suburbanite hunters make me chuckle‚ĶMy Profile

ohboymom November 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

You could be right about her son’s care serving as a distraction to her own…either way, she was one strong mama.

Kristi Campbell November 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Wow. Seriously incredible and so unfair. How much harder it must be to care for her son while going through treatments herself. I think you really did meet Wonder Woman.

ohboymom November 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Yes, and she was a lesson to me that no matter how tough we think we have it, someone has it even tougher.

Lisa @ The Golden Spoon November 19, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Incredible! I cannot imagine, either, how I would handle a situation like yours or a double whammy like hers. I am in awe of mothers like her an smothers like you and I hope that, if I am faced with those situations some day, I will be able to muster that kind of strength and positivity, too.
Lisa @ The Golden Spoon recently posted…Tuesday Ten – Modern ConveniencesMy Profile

ohboymom November 20, 2013 at 8:39 pm

You would be able to face it, because we are moms and we have no choice but to be strong.

Julie Chenell DeNeen November 20, 2013 at 6:28 am

Wow Wow Wow. That’s insane. Amazing story of course, but it certainly doesn’t seem fair that some people are just wallopped with suffering while others breeze by.
Julie Chenell DeNeen recently posted…Doritos Induced Mommy GuiltMy Profile

ohboymom November 20, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I recently had someone say to me that we all experience pain and suffering in our life — it just happens at different times for all of us. But I agree, it does seem like some have it more than others…

Beth Teliho November 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

That gave me chills. Wow. You’re both wonder women in my book to be honest, but I understand your awe of her going through this while sick herself. Unbelievable. Makes my heart ache.
Beth Teliho recently posted…Katie, Bar The Door!My Profile

ohboymom November 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Me too, but somehow she made it look okay. Made my heart ache too.

grownandflown November 20, 2013 at 10:51 am

yes, you did, a wonder-woman-wonder-mom….but you have been wonder-mom to Little Dude, Emily!
grownandflown recently posted…Why Parents Should Push Their Kids to Play Team SportsMy Profile

ohboymom November 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Thanks…I appreciate the praise and thoughts.:)

Korinthia Klein November 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Amazing.
Korinthia Klein recently posted…Mold-A-Ramas at the Willis Tower, and Quinn Turns SevenMy Profile

Cyndi November 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Life is tough and awful sometimes. Wonder Woman. We all have a journey: you have yours and she has hers. But, do not doubt for one moment that you are Wonder Woman, too. You are a hero to Little Dude and he will never forget you being by his side. :) You’re amazing and wonderful and a hero to many. xoxo
I hope Little Dude continues to heal. He’s a trooper.
Cyndi recently posted…A Poem: A Day in the LifeMy Profile

ohboymom November 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Cyndi, your words are sweet and comforting. Thank you.:)