Barf All You Want, I Can Handle It - OhBoyMom

Barf All You Want, I Can Handle It

November 26, 2013 in Hospital Tales

You know how when your kid has a stomach virus and is constantly throwing up and every time he or she makes the barf noise, you feel the bile rise in your stomach and think you might puke yourself?

Yeah that.

And sometimes, it’s so nauseating to listen to that you just have to leave the room?

Well, that used to happen to me. But now?

Not anymore! Barf away, I can handle all kinds of puking — loud, quiet, red, green, watery, chunky.  You name it!

I used to have to cover my ears and not listen to it, or I’d be giving back that day’s lunch.

But now, I may wince, but otherwise, I am fine.

I think it has to do with the frequency of watching and listening to Little Dude puke.

He pukes a lot now. Like every three weeks to be exact.

In all fairness, the doctors and nurses do their best to try to control it with all kinds of anti-nausea meds. The drugs work while we are at the hospital. But once we get home, Little Dude refuses to take anymore pills and claims he’s fine. An hour later, he’s so NOT fine. And by that point, he’s way too nauseous to swallow anything, let alone a pill. Vicious cycle. Catch-22. Whatever you want to call it, it sucks. And I feel terrible for him.

He’s not the only kid going through treatment who has these troubles. Last week, when we were back at the hospital for the second consecutive day of treatment, there was puking in sense-around. Little Dude puked first. Then the boy in the stall next to him in the infusion room puked too. I’m not sure if it was a chain reaction or not, but when my son was finished, and I was wiping his mouth and holding his bucket of puke, he looked up at me and said in a whisper, “guess I’m not the only one having difficulties today, huh?”

No buddy, you’re not.

I’m just thankful I can sit there with him and kiss his forehead after and tell him it will all be okay — eventually. Until then, we’ve got our bucket ready and will handle it together.

Janine Huldie November 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

Totally just wanted to reach out and hug both you and Little Dude. Seriously, I am so not good with puke, but since just having kids, I am getting better, but can’t even imagine. Truly thinking of you both and my heart goes out to you.
Janine Huldie recently posted…The PINcentive Blog Hop (Week 12) & $175 GIVEAWAY!My Profile

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thanks for those hugs Janine – we are doing okay, puke and all.:)

Jessica November 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Poor Little Dude. :( It’s nice to have the option for meds, at least. Hopefully, he will take them next time. My little guy got really dehydrated from a stomach bug once, and they gave him the anti-nausea meds at the hospital, but in liquid form. Would that be an option for him?
Jessica recently posted…[239/365] FreezingMy Profile

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Yes, an option, but he hates the liquid meds too…

grownandflown November 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Emily, I hope you, little Dude and your entire family has the very best Thanksgiving (and a barf-free one,too!)
grownandflown recently posted…Getting Kids to Work Harder in School: A New York Times Motherlode RebuttalMy Profile

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks and same to you and your family!

Considerer November 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Awww sounds really hard. On both of you. On all of you. Glad you’re there with him, and that you’re in it together.
Considerer recently posted…Deus in machinaMy Profile

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks. We’re both hanging in and yes, I’m glad I can be there for him.

Kelly November 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Yeah puking sucks…and I do get that queasy oh I can’t look! Feeling:)

Syd was about 3 and she threw up in the brand new Durango … And she said to Dave,” daddy I’m so sorry I puked in your car!” And he told her, “it’s not your fault!” And she sasses back at him, “well WHOSE fault IS IT?” Haha. She wanted to hold somebody responsible!

I’m so sorry little dude has to experience that…and amazed at how well he does it anyways. XO

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Kelly, and I do love your stories by the way! I know I can always count on you for a laugh, even about puking! :)

Sarah November 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Hey Emily
If you need your personal nurse to reinforce that he needs to take the meds even if he is feeling alright just let me know and I can do that! Hope everything else is going ok :-)
Sarah

ohboymom November 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Aw thanks Sarah, you’re the sweetest! I’ll let you know if I need your help reinforcing that message…I’ve tried, but he’s one stubborn boy.:)

Julie Burton November 26, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Emily,
Thinking of you and Little Dude. He is lucky to have you by his side though all of this. Wishing you and your family a peaceful Thanksgiving.
Hugs!
Julie Burton recently posted…Friday Faves!My Profile

ohboymom November 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

Thanks and Same to you Julie!

Julia November 27, 2013 at 7:28 am

Many e-hugs to you both. Thinking of you lots. No two ways about it, puking sucks.

ohboymom November 27, 2013 at 9:53 am

Agreed – just hoping he’s well enough to eat turkey tomorrow…happy thanksgiving!

Kristi Campbell November 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

Puking totally sucks. I was really proud of the night that it was my instinct to try and catch Tucker’s puke in my hands rather than run away and let it splash all over the floor. So I guess congratulations on it no longer bothering you, although I feel bad that Little Dude pukes so often. It’s hard to take pre-emptive medicine, so I don’t blame him there.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful, puke-free Thanksgiving, Emily!
xo

ohboymom November 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

That is impressive that you caught his puke! Now I know who to call if I ever need a back-up.:) happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Cyndi November 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yucky. All around. For you. For him.
But you know what? I want to thank you – for sharing your journey with us. It’s so human and you’re helping to dispel any mystery and fear many people have when they learn of another’s illness.
Oh, I hope he gets to end the treatments soon. Poor Little Dude. I hope you all have a restful holiday.
Cyndi recently posted…Gratitude: The Literary Version (Not Literal)My Profile

ohboymom November 27, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks Cyndi and I’m glad you see how I’m trying to illustrate both the good and bad of illness, while always trying to keep humor in our life. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Kathy at kissing the frog December 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

That’s the thing about moms and puke – they get used to it after a while. Sending love and hugs for a happy holiday with all your boys!!
Kathy at kissing the frog recently posted…The Frog’s Best Picks for Christmas ReadingMy Profile

ohboymom December 4, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Kathy and same to you and yours!