"Mom, The MRI Was Fun!" - OhBoyMom

“Mom, The MRI Was Fun!”

October 2, 2013 in Hospital Tales,Parenting

English: Philips MRI in Sahlgrenska Universite...

(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If you’ve ever needed an MRI, CT scan, bone scan or pet scan, you are familiar with the size and intimidating look of these machines.

An MRI is probably the scariest of them all, because it takes the longest and if you have any trace of claustrophia, then good luck. Lying still in a mostly enclosed box is bad enough. Add to that a loud banging, clanging noise and it’s even worse. But, if you’re an adult, you suck it up, close your eyes, and try to pretend you are somewhere else.

But what if it’s your child that has to endure that scan?

You prepare them for it by telling them what to expect, but what if they can’t take it? What if they are so scared by the banging or they can’t handle being enclosed for that long?

Turns out, my worries were unfounded. When Little Dude emerged from the MRI, he declared,

“Mom, the MRI was kind of fun.”

“”Of course it was! Isn’t it cool?” I said, hiding my shock from his pleasant experience.

The thing is, when your kid is ill or needs tests, you can’t shield them from scary hospital stuff all the time. Sometimes, you have to be completely honest, but you can also do your best to make it as positive a situation as possible.

Like when Little Dude needed his CT scan. Another big, scary-looking machine. I walked in, my heart skipped a beat, and I covered up my fear for him by blurting out, “Oh cool, it looks like a giant donut!”

Little Dude hopped up on the machine, laid down on his back and couldn’t wait to go inside the big donut.

“Piece of cake?” I asked when he came out.

“Piece of donut, mom!”

We both laughed.

And kept laughing, all the way to the next big, scary machine that didn’t look so big and scary to either of us anymore.

Kathy at kissing the frog October 2, 2013 at 9:10 am

I would absolutely freak out if I had to be in one of those machines. My son, Joey, never seemed to mind. I was always amazed. I think we adults know too much. To kids, everything is new and cool and interesting. I think that’s what protects them most of the time.
Kathy at kissing the frog recently posted…Priceless Mom MomentsMy Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

Yes, I absolutely agree with that Kathy…for kids, it’s an adventure, for us it’s mostly anxiety. Our instinct is to protect our kids from scary stuff, but in reality, WE are the ones that sometimes need more support. :)

Undiagnosed but okay October 2, 2013 at 9:19 am

I needed this! It is true that these tests are sometimes more scary for us then them. I think little Dude is becoming the poster child for how to handle scary situations!
Undiagnosed but okay recently posted…Running for more than a nice buttMy Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 9:30 am

Yes, I agree that the adults can be the ones that need the calming down in scary medical situations, not the kids.

don October 2, 2013 at 9:33 am

Cute kid!

I had an MRI a coupld of years ago. It’d been nice had they told me that it was going to be 20 + minutes. I thought it was a simple stick me in that tiny hole and bring me back out, but no, they leave you in there. We don’t all know that!!
don recently posted…Weekend wrap up and Blogger-Idol play along for my blogging pals…My Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 9:50 am

Ha – you’re right. They leave us adults in the dark (literally) and don’t give us enough detail about what to expect…they figure we can handle it, but sometimes they’re wrong!

Barbara's Blog October 2, 2013 at 9:44 am

I had a MRI as an adult and I was scared to death, I’m a bit claustrophobic. Way to go little guy, I’m proud of you.
Barbara’s Blog recently posted…Barbara’s Blog: Ketchup With Us # 27My Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

Yes, I think a lot of adults have trouble with the claustrophia part…most kids don’t have those hang-ups yet.:)

Considerer October 2, 2013 at 9:50 am

What a great way of looking at it. Your son’s awesome, and glad he was able to help your attitude to this.
Considerer recently posted…At last, I can speak freelyMy Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Yes, it’s amazing how sometimes our kids end up comforting us instead of the other way around.

Considerer October 2, 2013 at 10:26 am

I guess so. Glad he was able to do that for you :) Great reciprocity of spirit right there :)
Considerer recently posted…At last, I can speak freelyMy Profile

Cyndi October 2, 2013 at 9:57 am

Little Dude will never think of a donut in the same way again. ;)
Progress, though, yes? Keep on keepin’ on. You’re one step closer to perfect health. :)
HUGS
Cyndi recently posted…Let’s Take a Moment…For the EarthMy Profile

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Yes, progress for sure — for both of us! :)

Janine Huldie October 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Aww, just so glad he was ok with this and even though it is just shots or giving blood, I am the one who gets more upset then my kids at times here, too. Makes me usually feel more relieved when moments like these are indeed over and they are no worse for the wear. Just seriously hoping he doesn’t have do this again anytime soon again for you.
Janine Huldie recently posted…You’re My Home~October Daily Day 2My Profile

Lovelyn October 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I had an MRI once. It was far from fun. I guess he’s braver than me.
Lovelyn recently posted…Picture DayMy Profile

Kelly October 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Maddy had an MRI and they look so tiny in those giant machines! Every time she remembers it she starts singing this country song with a nasal twang…because that’s what they were playing through those head phones – we crack up every time she starts sangin’ it! I’d give you both a sticker and a lollipop!

ohboymom October 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm

That’s cute about your daughter breaking out in song.:) I have a future post coming soon about the music they play at the hospital…And you’re right, those machines do make them look so tiny, which is probably what adds to our fears, but doesn’t seem to bother them at all.

Kristi Campbell October 2, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Piece of donut, mom. I LOVE this. And you, as you know. And I’m so relieved to hear it.
Kristi Campbell recently posted…Our Land – A Lawman’s ThoughtsMy Profile

Julia October 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

I love little Dude’s strong spirit and how beautifully your piece celebrates it!! I hope you are enjoying the writing – it’s GREAT to be reading your blog again!!! And of course sending best and healing wishes your way :)

Lisa @ The Golden Spoon October 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Good for Little Dude!!! The resilience of kids always amazes me.
Lisa @ The Golden Spoon recently posted…Tuesday Ten – Things That Make My Kids WhineMy Profile

grownandflown October 7, 2013 at 9:33 am

What an unbelievable attitude your son has and a mom with spirit and courage to see him through this ordeal.
grownandflown recently posted…Cooking for Two in an Empty Nest KitchenMy Profile