Look Ma, No Hair! - OhBoyMom

Look Ma, No Hair!

October 8, 2013 in Family life

We were told he would lose his hair starting in Week 3 or 4.

And boy did it happen fast.

One morning his hair looked a little thinner. By that afternoon, it seemed as if half of it was already gone.

We had been visiting his two brothers at sleep-away camp and it was a particularly hot summer day. I noticed lots of little hairs sticking to his forehead ¬†and cheeks, so I continually reached over to wipe them away. Little Dude figured out what I was doing. And Middle Dude couldn’t help but notice that his brother’s hair was falling out right before our eyes.

“OMG, you had so much more hair this morning!” Middle Dude exclaimed.

He wasn’t trying to be mean. He was just an observant kid.

Fortunately, Little Dude was a laid back boy, with an amazing disposition. He truly didn’t seem to care about losing his hair.

In fact, he reached up to his scalp and grabbed a small clump and handed it to his brother.

Middle Dude squealed a little, but we all laughed.

It’s just hair, and it’s going to grow back.

And now Little Dude has a head that feels and smells like a newborn baby’s head…we sniff it all the time.

Another benefit? We can clearly see his handsome face!

Little Dude has become clever with utilizing his baldness. One night we were at a restaurant and the waiter seemed to have forgotten about our table. We had finished our meal and wanted the check, but the waiter was too busy chatting it up at a nearby table to notice us. Little Dude suggested he take off the baseball hat he was wearing.

“C’mon, maybe if the waiter sees my bald head, he’ll get over here faster,” Little Dude implored.

Smart 9-year-old, already learning how to use the pity card. Except then he realized soon after, that maybe being bald isn’t so uncommon after all.

When we went to the Yankees game, we noticed that Derek Jeter’s head was shaved. He had no hair. None.

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Derek Jeter, Little Dude’s favorite player, looked just like him.

Handsome and bald and still hitting home runs.

At this rate, Little Dude may not even want his hair back.

[jetpack_subscription_form]

Michelle Liew October 8, 2013 at 9:03 am

Emily, Little Dude is a cool, wise kid! Say hi to him for me.
Michelle Liew recently posted…My groovy soundtrack favoritesMy Profile

Janine Huldie October 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

I was reading this and the mommy instinct in me wanted to cry just a bit at first, but I loved how you turned this around and so did your son. Great job mom and the Derek Jeter reference really seems to have been a huge hit, too.
Janine Huldie recently posted…October 2013 GLOSSYBOX Reveal & October Daily #7My Profile

Marina October 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Yep! Its just hair. The shaved head look is totally on trend! Also it will be so cool to see what his hair looks like when it grows back. Thanks for giving all of us a great perspective as always!

Stacia October 8, 2013 at 10:23 am

OMG I was thinking the same thing Janine wrote. Kick ass seabass! Your son’s totally got this!!!
Stacia recently posted…The Ultimate Murder WeaponMy Profile

Jessica October 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

That’s the good thing for little boys, at least there are some bald male role models to look up to. I’m glad he’s doing OK with it. Hope he’s feeling OK.
Jessica recently posted…[190/365] What You Saw TodayMy Profile

Divorced Kat October 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Kids are so brave and they call it like it is! Love this post.

Molley@A Mother Life October 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

He has such a positive outlook. I’m so pleased. Hope he stays that way through his treatment.
Molley@A Mother Life recently posted…My Child Didn’t Graduate-Bad Parent AlertMy Profile

Kathy at kissing the frog October 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I was more concerned about Joey losing his hair than anyone else was. And his beautiful long curly eyelashes, which thankfully stayed. His hair got thin on the sides and back, and his dad, who is balding on top, made a joke that between the two of them they made one complete head of hair. That made us all laugh. We cut the top really short, and it kind of just looked like we meant for it to be that way.
Kathy at kissing the frog recently posted…A Teacher’s Day Made Better Thanks to OfficeMaxMy Profile

ohboymom October 10, 2013 at 10:37 am

That’s very funny about the complete head of hair…we took a photo of Little Dude with his bald baseball coach — very cute with their matching heads. :)

Kelly October 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

What a great kid with a terrifically awesome family!!

Tell Little dude I love the bald look…it is off the hook!

Kristi Campbell October 9, 2013 at 12:16 am

OMG I love Little Dude. I love this story so much. It just shows family is family and waiting for a check is annoying no matter what and well, Little Dude has caught on that moving things along, like waiting for a check, is just that. Love.
Kristi Campbell recently posted…Bad mommy momentsMy Profile

Chris Carter June 17, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Ah- LOVE this. I just love how amazingly laid back your precious boy is! And I bet he was soooo handsome without hair! Perhaps when he grows up, he can shave his head again and be as handsome as that baseball player… ooh la la! ;)
Chris Carter recently posted…For You, DadMy Profile

ohboymom June 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did…shaved heads are very “in” right now!