A Plea To Lebron James and The Miami Heat - OhBoyMom

A Plea To Lebron James and The Miami Heat

October 29, 2013 in Medical Stories

Miami Heat logo

Miami Heat logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If there could be any “perks” to having a tumor, then having a wish granted by the “Make-A-Wish” foundation is THE perk of all perks. I had no idea that Little Dude was even eligible, but apparently any kid, no matter what the diagnosis, who has to undergo long-term treatment for a serious illness can participate. I over hear the kids in the group infusion room talking about their wishes all the time. Looking forward to the wish they make is what gets them through the most difficult time in their young lives.

When the volunteer from “Make-A-Wish” came to our house to discuss how the program works, Little Dude said he thought he might like his wish to be front row seats at a Miami Heat game.

“Dream bigger, waaay bigger,” the volunteer prodded.

“Could I ask to meet Lebron James?” Little Dude timidly asked.

“Sure!” the volunteer replied, knowing that Lebron and the Miami Heat had participated in granting these wishes previously.

Little Dude’s face lit up more than I had seen it glow in a long time.

The volunteer said she would get back to us and let us know if his wish was approved. She told us to have a back-up wish “just in case.”

When she got back to us a few weeks later, she didn’t sound as optimistic.

Apparently, there are 32 kids on the wait-list to meet Lebron and the Miami Heat will neither confirm or deny whether they will grant these meet-and-greets soon. Some of the kids on the list have been waiting for over two years.

That’s a long time for any kid, and especially a kid undergoing chemotherapy who needs something to look forward to.

“Would you like to give us a back-up wish?” she asked.

When I discussed the issue with Little Dude, he said he’d be patient and wait to meet Lebron. I looked at him decked out in his Miami Heat hat and shirt and knew there was no back-up wish that would make him as happy.

“No, please make him #33 on the wait-list,” I replied, a bit deflated.

And so we will wait….

This is where my plea to the Miami Heat comes in and where I also need my readers to help. I think it’s only fitting that today is the official start of the NBA season. So, why not reach out to the Heat TODAY and let them know how they can help the dreams of 33 awesomely brave kids come true? It will only take one click for you to help:

Simply tweet this quote and accompanying link to my post to your followers by clicking the “tweet this” button below:

Read this mom’s plea for her son and 32 other kids’ @MakeAWish to meet Lebron James. @King James @MiamiHeat <Tweet This>

Who knows…maybe someone out there in Twitter-land has a connection to Lebron and will get him the message directly (I think his Twitter account is run by somebody else) or maybe the Miami Heat will finally grant the wishes for these kids who have already been through so much…maybe, just maybe it will work.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help!

P.S. “Make-A-Wish” is an amazing organization…please consider a donation so that they can continue to grant wishes and transform lives of kids with serious medical conditions. Click here to donate.

600799_10151710528564428_3783710_n

Janine Huldie October 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

I totally just tweeted this and seriously that is such a long time to make a kid undergoing Chemotherapy, who may or may not be terminally ill wait. I hope that someone from the organization sees these tweets and does something about this. My fingers are crossed and thinking good thoughts on this one for sure now!
Janine Huldie recently posted…Oven Roasted Red Potatoes with Onion Soup MixMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thanks so much for your twitter help and support! I’ll keep you posted and hope their wishes come true.

Eric Poll October 29, 2013 at 8:16 am

Tweeted! As a long time supporter and donator to Make-A-Wish I will do what I can to push this along.

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks so much for your help and support and so glad to hear you’re a long-time supporter of Make-A-Wish!

Linda Roy - elleroy was here October 29, 2013 at 9:23 am

My little guy just had his wish granted by Make A Wish. We went to Disney. Make A Wish is just the best. They’re a wonderful organization and wonderful people.
I am definitely going to tweet! I’m a former Clevelander, so I could tell him that Cleveland will forgive him for leaving if he’ll just grant this wish! (kidding) I so hope your son gets his wish! Many hugs and good thoughts to you and your son!
Linda Roy – elleroy was here recently posted…Out To Lunch and Still Waiting For the CheckMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’m so glad to hear your son just had his wish granted. Make-A-Wish truly is an amazing organization.Thank you for helping to tweet out my plea…I’m sure Lebron would like your Cleveland joke too! Thank you for your thoughts – hugs and good thoughts back at you and your son. :)

Julie Burton October 29, 2013 at 9:31 am

Tweeted and fingers crossed for Little Dude and the 32 other kids!
Julie Burton recently posted…Parents: Sometimes Saying Yes Is Not About Giving In, It’s Just About GivingMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much for your help!

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs October 29, 2013 at 10:03 am

Tweeted! Good luck to your son and the other 32 who so deserve a visit with Lebron. ♥
Lisa @ Grandma’s Briefs recently posted…Oh, how my grandsons swearMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thank you for your help and support! I’ll let all my readers if this works!

Liz Wright October 29, 2013 at 11:27 am

Tweeted. I hope they get back with you guys ASAP. I wish that people could see what this is – huge for your son, and small in terms of time commitment for them. I mean seriously, a terminal kid wants to MEET YOU. Doesn’t that make you want to take time out of YOUR DAY to go meet them?!
Liz Wright recently posted…Little Monsters – Children and HalloweenMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Well, he’s not terminal and the others aren’t necessarily either, but any kid undergoing chemotherapy, surgery, radiation, and a constant stream of tests, needle pricks, etc. deserves to meet their idol. And from what I hear, it’s not Lebron holding back — it’s the “people” who manage the Heat, whoever they are.

Kelly October 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’m tweeeting it out now! I sure hope this wish is granted! I’m sharing everywhere and how can the guy resist? That’s at least 33 fans that put him on top anyway and when super stars take just a moment out of their day to affect another’s life….well those are the best people ever!

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I agree Kelly – hope this works and thanks so much for your support!

Kristi Campbell October 29, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Tweeted and I’m keeping your page open so that I remember to tweet it several more times today. Two years is too long to wait. I really hope that Little Dude and the other 32 kids on the list are able to meet Lebron soon!

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I agree, two years is too long, especially if there’s no guarantee it will even happen…thanks for all the tweets – you’re the best!

Cathy Chester October 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tweeted, and I pray the Twitter gods are listening to grant all of these deserving and brave children their wish. Really, how much would it take to grant it? I wish I knew someone who knew someone….

Keep us posted, Emily.
Cathy Chester recently posted…Whatever Happened To Good Etiquette And Manners? Here Are Some Tips On How To Cope With Rude BehaviorMy Profile

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Cathy and I agree, it would take so little time and effort to grant these wishes. I hope someone agrees with us!

Julia October 29, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Um the CFO of the Heat is someone we’ve known for a long time. His wife and I were active in Jewish Federation many years ago. Not sure if I can help but of course I will if I can. And naturally you and the little monster can stay with us if your meet and greet takes place :-)

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Who knew I had friends with friends in such high places?! I knew I should have started with my Florida connections first! :)

Wendy Gottfried October 29, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Emily,
Just read your blog, opened a twitter acct and tweeted your message.
Praying this helps make a wish for your son. Thinking of you and your son. Love reading your blog…I have 3 boys too.
Wendy

ohboymom October 29, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Thanks so much Wendy — for reading, tweeting and supporting me with your thoughts…I know you have 3 boys too — go boys!! :)

Julie Chenell DeNeen October 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Tweeted!!! I hope he responds.
Julie Chenell DeNeen recently posted…Banned from ChurchMy Profile

Matt October 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I tweets it out and too him. He definitely runs his own twitter account, does fan questions, posts instagram pics of his kids playing soccer, roots hard for his Cowboys when they’re playing etc.. So Id encourage continuous tweets to him from you, obviously he cant read/reply to all but he checks in and looks. Though prob less with season underway. Good luck!