Top 10 Favorite Moments From My 30-Year High School Reunion - OhBoyMom

Top 10 Favorite Moments From My 30-Year High School Reunion

June 18, 2013 in Getting Older

William A. Shine Great Neck South High School

William A. Shine Great Neck South High School (Photo credit: Wikipedia) THIS IS MY HIGH SCHOOL!!

I’ll admit this: At first, I didn’t want to go to my 30-Year High School reunion. At all. You may have even read about it here. But, I was free that night, had friends who were insisting I go, and I lived only a half hour away. So, I basically had no choice but to go. As the date drew closer, I became slightly more excited. In other words, I was more excited about going to the reunion than to the dentist, but less excited about going versus say, to a day at the spa.

I’ve learned it’s always good to go into much anticipated events with low expectations. That way you can never be too disappointed. And as it turned out, not only did that strategy work, but the event far exceeded my expectations, even if they were way, way down there. So yes, it was definitely A LOT more fun than going to the dentist and almost on par with going to a spa. Here were my top ten favorite moments of the night:

1.  Feeling like I was speed-dating. I had lots of two-minute conversations, because there were so many of us there, and not enough time to talk to everyone. I am now well-prepared for BlogHer if I decide to attend the business card swap session, which is apparently like speed-dating.
  2. Being told I looked the same as in high school. Who wouldn’t love that comment, right? Of course, if you saw my senior yearbook photo, you’d wonder if that was actually a compliment.
  3. Receiving sincere condolences from classmates about the recent passing of my mom. My friends from high school probably knew my mom better than any other friends I’ve met during the course my life. These friends spent many afternoons and nights at my house, and they all clearly remembered that I had the “cool” mom, who didn’t mind if my friends smoked cigarettes with her, and who didn’t think twice if my friends called her “Ethel” instead of Mrs. Mitty, and who was always there to listen to us. My mom handled those treacherous high school years with the perfect balance of parenting and friendship.
  4. Drinking and not throwing up hours later like I did back in the day. Maybe it’s the fact that I generally stick to white wine or that I spread out my drinking over five hours. Either way, it may have taken me 30 years, but at least I now drink responsibly. Usually.
  5. Laughing like I was 17 again. I regressed a little at the event. Okay, maybe a lot. There I was, running around with my high school besties, and all of a sudden, I reverted back to my 17-year old self, making immature comments and giggling about private jokes from so long ago.
  6. Crying like I was 17 again. There were a few old friends I had not seen since high school graduation. One in particular started to cry when she saw me, along with another friend. Immediately, my tears started too. It doesn’t take much to make me cry, but still, it was a great moment.
  7. Noticing the people who weren’t there. For those of you who missed the reunion, you WERE missed and we DID notice. My original attitude was that I thought I’d only care about seeing my closest friends, but I realized that wasn’t at all the case. There were classmates missing who I definitely would have liked to see and talk to.
  8. Receiving compliments on my blog. I was flattered (and shocked) that some of my classmates actually read or have read my blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
  9. Realizing that the “mean” girls did not stay mean forever and also that karma can be a bitch. I won’t go into more detail than that, but let’s just say, if you ignored me (or worse) in high school, I’m more than okay with that now.
  10. Not wanting to go to the reunion quickly transformed into not wanting to leave. “Don’t leave me,” was the first sentence uttered to me by one of my friends as we entered the reunion, as we both felt overwhelmed and nervous. We looked out at a sea of people and felt like we wouldn’t recognize anyone. Slowly, the familiar faces came into focus and although there were some people whose names we were unsure of, we felt a lot more at ease after everyone started wearing their name tags. By the end of the night, we didn’t want to leave.

Have you attended any high school or college reunions and if so, were you happy you went?

Karen June 18, 2013 at 9:06 am

It was a lot of fun, and would not have been the same without you. Now we just need to find the time in our hectic adult lives to sit around for hours and discuss every person and conversation in minutiae like we would have done 30 years ago…see you for lunch soon! It will be a long one!! :)

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

Can’t wait for lunch and thank you for making me go to the reunion.:)

Eric Poll June 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

So one of your favorite top 10 moments was not seeing me or what I did for charity? Just kidding. Emily it was an incredible reunion weekend and people are still buzzing about it. I am still hearing that no one wanted to leave any of the events, it just kept going with love, laughs, hugs and tears of joy.

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

Eric, that definitely was one of my favorite moments but I wasn’t sure you wanted it highlighted in my blog. :) I suppose I could have posted the picture to go with it, right?! I was thinking about posting this post on the GNS group page, but I’m afraid some people won’t think my “mean girls” comment is funny — it WAS meant to be funny, but not sure it came off that way…and yes, everyone still buzzing about the reunion, which would not have been such a phenomenal success without you and your tireless efforts. I know you don’t want the praise, but you truly deserve it!!

Janine Huldie June 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

Oh sounds like it was a great time. I didn’t attend my 10 year reunion, but after reading this, may suck it up and go for twenty in two short years. Yikes, I can’t believe that in 2015, I will have been out of high school for twenty years. Seems like just yesterday!!
Janine Huldie recently posted…Father’s Day Flashback StyleMy Profile

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Even at the 30-year we were all saying we couldn’t believe it had been that long…scary how time flies and yet I still feel like I’m a 17-year old sometimes! I say go to the 20-year…nothing to lose!

Janie Emaus June 18, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi – It sounds like you had a great time. And I can relate. Only, get this, I went to my 50th Junior High School reunion earlier this month. Now I can’t wait for the next one.

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

50 – that’s awesome! We were all saying the same thing – that we couldn’t wait for our 40th…glad you also had fun at yours!

Michelle June 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

Aww! I’d love to be told that I looked the same in High School too! A great share and nice to see your buddies here!

Kelly June 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’d have loved to have at least been a fly on the wall:) sounds like you guys had a great time and I’m so glad you enjoyed the night!! Good for you! Go girl!

Carol Cassara June 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

Age is a great equalizer, isn’t it?
;-)

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

It sure is! Thanks for reading and commenting…

Adam Maeroff June 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Wonderful piece. As usual your the funniest person I know Emily.
I’m only sorry that I didn’t make it because it would had been great to take a 40th + year 1st grade anniversary picture with most of our friends, who we still know!
Seriously, I’m just waiting for everyone to be slightly more bald, fat and wrinkled so that I can enter the room safety ;)
Love you Flemily (AKA) Emily Mitty. Thanks for keeping me laughing, Adam M
Adam Maeroff recently posted…“Lawrenceville field study”My Profile

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I knew I could count on you for laughing at my piece Adam! And don’t worry, we will take that photo at the 40th — we’ll all be bald and fat and wrinkled by then so it won’t matter!

Monica Edreira June 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Emily, it was great seeing you at the reunion! you are right, I hesitated about going and only bought my ticket at the last minute! So very glad I came, we did have a blast! can’t believe I almost didn’t go.

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

So great to see you too and glad you didn’t chicken out from going either. :) Hope to see you around the ‘hood soon!

Kristi Campbell June 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

All it takes to make me cry is seeing somebody else cry. So glad you ended up going! Maybe (probably not), I’ll go to mine, too. Is it weird that I totally want to know more about the mean girl karma?
Kristi Campbell recently posted…1979 and the angst that wasMy Profile

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

You sound just like me — we better not every cry in front of one another! And, I just KNEW you’d be intrigued by the mean girl karma.:)

Liza Maltin June 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Emily, you DO look the same, if not even more lovely, than you did in high school. I’m so glad you opted to come. It was a wonderful event.

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Aw, thanks so much and you too looked the same and I’m not just saying that! Great to see you even if it was too rushed. Thanks for reading and commenting here!

Julie DeNeen June 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Aw – that sounds so fun! When I went to my ten year reunion, I’d go to fill people in on my life and they would say, “I already know – I read your blog” , and then I was like… “Oh.” Killed the small talk! LOL
Julie DeNeen recently posted…7 Days to Decide Between 30 Reasons for my 45 Day Blog ChallengeMy Profile

ohboymom June 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

It’s funny, that happened to me a little bit too…I had a few people make comments to me about my post of the coach bullying me and I was like, “oh wow, you read that?!”

Julia June 18, 2013 at 8:11 pm

All of what a reunion should be, and sounds like none of what it shouldn’t be – I’m so happy you had fun!!!

Kerri June 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm

How wonderful, I have skipped many reunions for all of the reasons you specified. I’m glad you had such a great time
Kerri recently posted…Rocking it School House StyleMy Profile

Melanie Chisnall June 19, 2013 at 4:51 am

I didn’t go to my 10 year high school reunion. I hated most of high school and struggled to make friends. The ones I’d made I saw outside of school and still see. I don’t regret not going because apparently it wasn’t much fun, but maybe I’ll make the effort to go to the next one in 8 years time! So glad you made yourself go and had a good time, sounds like it was one to remember! :)
Melanie Chisnall recently posted…10 Awesome YouTube Background Music Selections For WorkMy Profile

ohboymom June 19, 2013 at 9:58 am

I once read something that said the reunions get better the older you are and I’ve gotta say, I have found that to be true. The 10 and 20 year were okay for me, but the 30-year one was great. Another one of my commenters wrote that “age is a great equalizer.” It really is true!

Cyndi June 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

My high school was so small: 100 kids TOTAL. And I admit, I wasn’t Miss Popular. I was a nerdy kid. As such, I don’t know if I’ll ever go back for a reunion; I stay in touch with the cool people from then that I liked. :) That said, I wonder what would happen if I dared show my face at one of those reunions. HAHAH.
Cyndi recently posted…Wonderful Wednesday: Favorite PlacesMy Profile

ohboymom June 19, 2013 at 9:57 am

Wow, 100 kids total is a small school…we had 300 in each grade! I wonder what would happen if you showed up at a reunion too…you never know, it could actually be fun! Someone made a joke after our reunion defining what happened to the different cliques in our high school. He said: the bullies are broke, the jocks are single, the nerds are rich and the late bloomers are hot…and I gotta say, he wasn’t that far off the mark either. So interesting!!

Joyce June 19, 2013 at 10:02 am

I had mixed emotions at my thirtieth reunion. Some of my classmates were still into their clicks and didn’t have time to visit with others. I was excited to see Diane, and felt that “Don’t leave me” feeling. I also found that I spoke with some who I barely spoke to in high school, and I looked at others and thought, who is that! I felt sorry for the drunk I used to have a crush on. He looked awful and could barely walk. I guess that was his way of dealing with high school. The best was getting together with those grade school people and laughing as we whispered, “Underwear.” Some things never change.
Joyce recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: HaircutsMy Profile

ohboymom June 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

I agree that the reunion with the grade school people was the best part…

David Fleissig June 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Nice post, especially No. 9.

Kate Hall June 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I enjoyed reading this, Emily. I still haven’t gotten up the courage to attend any of my reunions, while my husband has attended all of his and has a great time (we live in his hometown). I keep hoping that one year I’ll suck it up and go. I’ve reconnected with a number of friends from HS on FB that I would love to see in person, but I think there’s that feeling that when I walk in nobody will talk to me or remember me or will be mean to me or will point out when I was mean to them. Crap, I need some help. Ha!
Kate Hall recently posted…The Song Afternoon Delight Was About the Ice Cream Man, Right? (…and Humor Me Blog Hop #4!)My Profile

ohboymom June 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Nah, you don’t need help — we ALL feel that high school insecurity when we first walk into that reunion. But I can promise you it fades away in seconds…people really do mature, contrary to what our minds and memories tell us. I say go for it next time!

Tamara Woods August 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I attended my 10 year reunion with a friend of mine, who people assumed we were together. Believe me we weren’t. That was awkward. We did talk a lot about who was and wasn’t there. It was odd, because everyone asked me about updates. I’m not sure why I knew so much info. Weirdness, right? I was dreading it, but I’m looking forward to the 20 year one. Hopefully, I’ll have some books published by then and be a rich and famous author?
Tamara Woods recently posted…Superman in Training Wheels-A poemMy Profile

ohboymom August 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hey, you never know, you might! I’m glad you’re looking forward to your 20-year…the dynamic definitely changes with each reunion and it’s fun to reunite with classmates during these different phases of your life.

DJ Williams February 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I notice this page after I made my comments on your other page. So I see you went and had a good time as usual. Good for you.