A Tribute To My Mom: April 21,1938 - April 29, 2013 - OhBoyMom

A Tribute To My Mom: April 21,1938 – April 29, 2013

May 5, 2013 in Family life

Mom and Me

Mom and Me

One of the earliest memories I have of my mom is walking barefoot with her, holding hands. It was summer and it had just rained so the ground was both wet and warm, with steam rising off the sidewalk. She wanted me to feel the moist concrete beneath the soles of my feet and encouraged me to walk barefoot with her down the block.

My mom had an appreciation for nature and beauty that she enjoyed sharing with me whenever she could. On too many occasions to count, she excitedly asked me to look at the orange/pink sky as the sun set. I’ll never forget the summer she and my dad came to visit me at sleep away camp and were waiting on the ski dock to watch me water-ski. Suddenly, my mom noticed a gorgeous rainbow over the lake, and announced to all the nearby counselors and campers to look at the beautiful colors. She then proceeded to pass around her sunglasses to everyone so they could better see the highlighted colors through her lenses. As a 13-year old girl, I was slightly mortified. But, now as a mom myself who continually tries to show my kids the beauty of the world around them, I get it.

One of my mom’s favorite hobbies was gardening. Every spring, my mom loved to come to our house and walk around the yard with Jon, while he showed her his latest plantings. At the upstate house in Stanfordville, my mom would garden for hours and hours, despite the blazing heat. She’d come in the house, dripping with sweat and I’d joke, “see, I knew you should have installed central air-conditioning in this house.”

My high school and college friends can attest to the fact that I had one of the “cool” moms. My friends loved to sit around the kitchen table with my mom and just chat or watch her and my dad in action at their house upstate, where they’d garden, banter, and revel in being surrounded by all my friends and me. In fact, I think one of my college friends described her best by saying she was a legend of sorts, a mom for all of us to model ourselves after. I couldn’t agree more.

I truthfully can only recall one time in my life that my mom attempted to punish both my brother Roger and me. I can’t remember what pissed her off so much, but she sent us both to our rooms. Roger and I decided to be smart-asses and pull our respective bean bag chairs up to the doorways of our rooms. We sat in them and began talking and laughing with one another. My mom heard us, looked up the stairs, saw us and began cracking up. We knew right then the punishment was over.

My mom has been a consistent source of support and inspiration for me during every milestone in my life. Planning my wedding with her was one of my greatest joys. We never fought over the details, but had tremendous fun during each step in the process, including the menu taste test at The Rainbow Room. My mom was never much of a foodie, but when the chef brought out the salmon for us to try, my mom casually said she found it to be “disappointing.” The color drained from the chef’s face and he apologized. Needless to say, we went with the filet mignon. We teased my mother about that day and she giggled with embarrassment that she caused the chef such angst.

With each of my pregnancies, my mom listened to me obsess or worry or complain as pregnant women often times do. When my first son was born and I was overwhelmed with being a new mother, my mother rescued both my sanity and me. She slept over for many nights and woke up for the middle of the night feedings and just sat there with me while I nursed, ready to take the baby if I needed her to change him or put him back down.

She was a devoted grandmother to each of her six grandchildren. She was a get-down-on-the-floor-and-play-with-the-kids kind of grandma. As well as a “let’s play a board game” kind of grandma. And a “I’ll-watch-you-shoot-basketball” kind of grandma. She bonded to each of her grandchildren in separate and unique ways, encouraging their interests and yet never giving up on making each and every one of them avid readers. Yup, she was the grandma who also gave books as presents. One day, I know my kids will appreciate that.

My mom was one of the smartest women I ever knew. And anyone who knew her would say the same thing. She was extremely well-read, as well as knowledgeable about music and art. Every year on my birthday, she gifted me with a book of poetry. And every year, I hoped to appreciate the poems as much as she did.

When I pursued writing, my mom was my faithful editor, as well as my biggest fan. She was the most loyal reader of my blog, and although she rarely commented on the blog itself, she always sent me emails cheering me on about my latest post.

My mom was generous in so many ways. Not just with gifts, but with her time. My mom could listen to you like no one else and always made you feel like what you had to say was important. When you talked to her, you had her undivided attention and you knew it. She was also generous with her love. She showed pure love for not just her family, but her friends too. My mom forged special relationships with so many people, including her niece and nephews, her sisters-in-law, brothers-in-law, doormen, her doctors, her students, her co-workers, the baby-sitters for my kids. The list goes on and on.

My mom’s generosity also extended to our many shopping sprees together. Our shopping days started back when we were living in Great Neck, NY, a suburb of NYC. While many of the residents there would wear their finest outfits to browse the stores in town, my mom shunned convention and would wear tattered jeans and sneakers. Sometimes we’d be ignored in the stores, only to surprise the store help when we racked up an impressive amount of charges for our new wardrobes. Our shopping days continued all the way into my adulthood and we always cherished those times together, even though our tastes in clothes were frequently quite dissimilar.

My mom taught me so many things over the years, such as how to make restaurant reservations, a skill I’ve found increasingly important whenever I want to avoid cooking, which can be a lot. She also taught me how to parallel park, with her own special method that she showed me the night before my road test in the pouring rain. And she taught me how to stand up for what I believe in, even if it meant sprinkling in a few choice curse words to get your point across. I definitely inherited some of her feisty Bronx genes and for that, I’m proud.

I know my heart first started to break after her diagnosis almost three years ago. I thought she wouldn’t be able to handle the emotional toll, having already battled two other cancers as well as endured open-heart surgery. But, she once again proved to me that she was more than just a mom. She was Super Mom. She was rock solid, or at least around me she was, never losing her wonderful sense of humor and fighting cancer like a warrior. After her surgery, I was at home with her during her recovery. She was shuffling around the apartment in a bathrobe, and had a few grey strands of hair sticking out of her head, the rest of it lost to chemotherapy. She looked at me and said, “I feel like Yoda.” We both laughed. And with her blue eyes shining bright, I thought she never looked more beautiful.

I’ve heard several different versions of how my parents first met. My favorite one is that my mom was working as an emergency room nurse at Mt. Sinai, and my dad was starting his rotation in the ER as an intern. When he walked in the first day and introduced himself, my mom said, “Oh, so you’re the lascivious Dr. Mitty.” To which my dad replied, “What does lascivious mean?” Watching my dad and her in the hospital these past five weeks, was one of the more heartwarming times in my life. She’d smile her trademark crooked smile at my dad and his face would light up. My dad would hold her hand and call her “beautiful” and “gorgeous.” I feel privileged to have witnessed a part of a 52-year marriage that was real and strong to the end. I think my dad said it best the other day when he said to me, “what an amazing woman. How fortunate I was.”

How fortunate we all were, to have known such a loving, generous, intelligent, independent, interesting and beautiful person.

My heart is breaking today and will forever feel this loss. But, I am also eternally grateful to have had the most awesome mother a daughter could ever ask for.

I love you mom and will miss you every day for the rest of my life.

600799_10151710528564428_3783710_n

Julie Satz May 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm

What a wonderful tribute.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm

xoxo

Sharon Greenthal May 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Your story touched me in so many ways – I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your mother was an amazing woman, and I’m sure she was immensely proud of you.

Tell me, were you shopping at Camp and Campus with your mother? Because that’s where I bought most of my clothes when I was growing up in Great Neck!

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Sharon, yes it was Camp & Campus! I had no idea you grew up in Great Neck! Thank you so much for your thoughts and for reading and commenting on my tribute to my mom.

Cathy Chester May 5, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Emily, I know we’ve talked a bit these past few weeks, and I pray in some way I’ve helped since I recently lost a beloved uncle from Pancreatic Cancer. They are with us always, in who we are, what we do, and how we think and feel.

Although we’ve been chatting, I loved reading this beautiful and touching tribute to a marvelous woman who touched so many lives. She would have been proud of you knowing that you forged ahead, despite your grief, to write the perfect tribute to someone who will be a part of your heart forever.

My prayers are with you and your family. Your mom is smiling down at you right now. I do believe this.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I do believe she is smiling down at me too Cathy.:) You have been such a wonderful support to me and I know I keep saying this to you, but it’s true! You are one special person and a truly kind soul. THANK YOU. xo

Holly May 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. I hope my daughters feel the same way about me when my days on this earth are through.

Hugs to you dear daughter.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Thank you and I too hope my boys feel the same way about me in the end…I had such an amazing role model that I am continually striving to be the best parent I can be. I truly appreciate your thoughts and for reading and commenting.

Connie McLeod May 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful mom.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Connie – I appreciate your thoughts!

Karen May 5, 2013 at 10:56 pm

This is a beautiful tribute. Your mother sounds like a very special lady, and I’m so sorry for your recent loss.
Karen

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Yes Karen, she was special in so many ways. Thank you so much for your thoughts and for reading and commenting.

Lois Alter Mark May 5, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. Your mother sounds like she was a very special person, and this is an amazing tribute to her.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thank you Lois. I appreciate your thoughts and for reading and commenting.

Nan May 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

An amazing woman who raised an equally amazing daughter. Lots of love!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

xoxo

Eric Poll May 6, 2013 at 9:02 am

A beautiful tribute to your Mom. She gave and taught you the wonders & beauty of the world around you. You will find that your Mom is with you all the time in small ways everytime you look around you.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thank you Eric. I know you understand how difficult it is to lose a parent. I am already finding that my mom is always with me and that is a comfort to me during these difficult days. Thank you for being a true friend and wonderful support.

Karen D. Austin May 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

What a nice “how they met” story. 52 years! Thanks for sharing some details about your mother with us.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Yes, I love the story of how they met too…Thank you for reading and commenting.

grownandflown May 6, 2013 at 9:52 am

Emily, I have tears in my eyes reading this beautiful eulogy for your mother. You have used your considerable writing skills to create a lasting impression of her for us who did not know her. She lives forever in your heart on on these pages.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Thank you so much Lisa and Mary Dell. Although this has been an incredible loss for me, I am taking comfort in the fact that I was so fortunate to have a mom like her.

Julie Burton May 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

Emily,
Your mom sounds like an amazing woman, and this is lovely and heart-felt tribute to her. Thank you for sharing it. I hope that all the wonderful memories you have of your mother will always be a blessing to you.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thank you so much Julie. I really appreciate your thoughts and yes, I am finding comfort in all my amazing memories of her. I was truly blessed.

Janine Huldie May 6, 2013 at 10:07 am

Emily, I am truly so sorry for the loss of your beloved mother and I can even begin to understand what you must be feeling. This really was such a lovely tribute to woman that sounded larger then life, but then again what mother isn’t thought of that way to a her kids. Thinking of you my friend and thanks for sharing this here with all of us.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Janine. I know you and I have discussed how much our mothers mean to us. I believe We are truly fortunate because not all mother-daughter bonds are strong, which is hard to believe from our perspective. However, I’m finding comfort in the fact that I was one of the lucky ones to have a mom like her. I also want you to know how much I appreciated all your thoughts and prayers. It really meant a lot to me.

Dana May 6, 2013 at 10:07 am

Emily, this is an amazing tribute to your mother. I’m so sorry for your loss, and I hope that you find comfort in your friends and family as you grieve.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thank you and yes, my friends and family are a huge support. I really appreciate your thoughts and thank you for reading and commenting.

Cyndi May 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

What a wonderful tribute and her own way, I know your mom will still read your blog. This post brought tears to my eyes: for all the happy times you shared and even the more trying times – I think of my late brother and all those in my extended family who have gone on. They never really leave us: their wisdom and spirit truly live on. I am so sorry for your loss, but always remember: she is everywhere: In the flowers you smell, the rainbows, the sunsets and even the wet concrete sidewalks where you’ll walk barefoot once again. :) HUGS

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thanks so much Cyndi…your words are truly comforting to me. I can tell you understand the impact of such a loss. I want you to know how much I’ve appreciated your thoughts and support. It meant a lot to me.

Julia May 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

Ethel was one of a kind. She didn’t care what others thought, yet thought so much about others. She and your father were smart enough to LIVE their lives TOGETHER while they were both young and healthy. Carving out languid, restful weekends at the country house, enjoying one another and all of us, they knew what it meant to not let this life pass you by— to really stop, breathe in and integrate the beauty around you. The way Ethel lived her life
was a lesson in the making Em–she was a real lady, with a mouth like a sailor and the composure of a tightrope walker. She left an impression and all the memories are good ones :-)

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I love your analogies! Thank you for sharing such touching thoughts with me. Remember when you and Jill stayed with Ethel and Harold while you job interviewed? I love telling people that story…xo

Ginger Kay May 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

I’m sorry for your loss, Emily. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman whose legacy will live on with the family she so deeply loved. I hope you find comfort in one another, and in your memories of your mom.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thank you for your thoughts and yes, I do have wonderful memories to hold on to. I really appreciate you reading and commenting.

Amy May 6, 2013 at 11:06 am

Beautiful tribute, Emily. I’m so sorry for your loss.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Thanks so much Amy. I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Wendy May 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

Emily, I was so sad to hear the news about your mom. But she would be so moved and proud of your beautiful post. Your mom sounds like an exceptional woman. No wonder she had a daughter like you!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Aw Wendy, thanks so much for your thoughts. She was an awesome person and I am holding on to that during these difficult days. Thank you for being such a wonderful support. xo

Jim May 6, 2013 at 11:19 am

Your mother left you with happy, enduring memories. A great tribute. J

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

You are right – I am lucky to be able to cherish so many happy times. Thank you for reading and commenting.

T. A. Woods May 6, 2013 at 11:43 am

Such a beautiful tribute. I’m so sorry for your loss, but I’m so filled with joy for you that you have so many positive memories to hold in your heart and pass onto your children. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman. Take care of yourself, Emily.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thanks so much and yes, I do have so many happy memories of her as do my kids. I am thankful for that. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Stacy Harris May 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

What a touching tribute to your mom. She seems like she was a wonderful person and anyone whose life she touched was beyond fortunate. And because of that, I think you will too become one of those same women, following in her footsteps and she will be smiling down at you knowing that she made you the person you are today. I would have loved to meet someone like her. She just seemed so full of life and inspiration. You have an incridible bond and I am sorry for your loss, but every time you experience life, you can take a look at it through her eyes, feeling the wet concrete under your feet, the rainbow in the sunglasses, what an amazing gift she has left you with. Hugs!

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much Stacy. Your words bring me such comfort — no wonder I love your blog so much too. :) I really appreciate your thoughts and support.

melissa young May 6, 2013 at 11:50 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Emily. What a beautiful and touching tribute to your mom.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Thank you Melissa. I really appreciate your thoughts and thank you for reading and commenting.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Melissa. I really appreciate your thoughts. Also great running into you earlier today. :)

Jessica Smock May 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Emily, this was just beautiful. It’s such a hard thing to lose a parent. You feel like you’re losing part of yourself. It will get easier, and you’ll be so glad that you wrote this tribute to her during this time.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Jessica and I think you’re right. Writing is very healing for me, as I think it is for a lot of us. Thanks so much for your thoughts and for reading and commenting.

Anita @ Losing Austin May 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Stunning. Both your mother and your tribute to her. My mom’s tribute will be very similar one day when I face this, and I can only pray my son’s will feel anywhere near this for me one day.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I know what you mean Anita. I hope my 3 sons feel as blessed to have me as their mom as I did to have mine. I am continually striving to be a good parent, because I had such an amazing role model. Thank you so much for your thoughts and for reading and commenting.

Kristi Campbell May 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh God, Emily. I am so so sorry for your loss. What a heartfelt, beautiful tribute to your mom. You took my breath away. Thank you for sharing glimpses into your life with her with all of us; your stories from youth, your wedding plans, and how she and your dad met all make me wish I could have met her – she sounds like an absolutely delightful woman. I am so glad for you both that you remained close all of these years. You and your entire family have my deepest sympathies, warm thoughts and many prayers.
Hugs, dear friend.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thank you so much, Kristi. I want you to know how much your support and caring thoughts have meant to me. I hope some day we can meet in person, because I know you’re awesome! xoxo

Kristi Campbell May 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Emily,
You have known for a while that you’re one of my very favorite favorites and I hope that we meet in person someday, too. Because I know you’re awesome!
Also, sending extra hugs for your boys, because I’m sure there’s a surreal, unknown, not-sure-what-this-means-they-know-what-this-means thing going on and I’m sure that’s one of the toughest of all to know how to address.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm

You’re so right. I remember when my first grandparent passed, and I wasn’t quite sure how to react. And I was in college at the time, so you’d think I’d know how to handle my grief, but since that was my first real encounter with loss, I was quite confused. Thanks again for all your wonderful thoughts!

Kerri May 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Emily, what a beautiful tribute to your mom. I feel your loss but more importanly the great love and admiration you have for her. She sounds like such a terrific lady who had a huge impact on the world around her. I can feel your pride that you were able to call her mom.
Hugs to you and your family.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thank you Kerri and you are right, I did feel such pride that she was my mom. I really appreciate your thoughts and support.

Roshni May 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm

What a wonderful, wonderful tribute indeed, Emily!! My heart and my eyes are just overflowing reading this! How very fortunate you all are indeed!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thank you Roshni, I was happy to share my mom with this wonderful group of bloggers. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. May 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Many of our hearts are breaking with you, though we don’t know you in real life, and in a completely different way than yours is. I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Our moms seem to share many common qualities, and I can only imagine what you are going through. So many of us will be keeping you in our thoughts, Emily.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thank you Stephanie, your thoughts and support mean a lot to me. I think many people can take their relationships with their parents for granted as they get older, but it sounds as if you cherish your mom as much as I did mine. We are lucky ladies. :)

Donna Highfill May 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

And how fortunate I was to read this blog. Thank you for sharing so beautifully!!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Donna, I was happy to share my wonderful mom with such a great group of women!

Amanda Fox May 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Wonderful. You can just feel how much you loved your Mom. So touching that you shared her with all of us. Thank you.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I was hesitant to post this publicly, but now I’m glad I did.

Donna Pantowich May 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm

So beautiful when I heard your sister in law read your words last week. I love reading them again and learning about what a special lady Ethel was. I told my girls what a tribute it was to your mom and how lucky you all were to have someone like that in your lives and as an awesome role model. I also passed on how your brother noted that “her net worth was not measured by her bank account, but by all the people she helped”. I thought that was one of the most beautiful statements. You are your mother’s daughter, that’s for sure. And even though I didn’t have the pleasure of meeting her, your tribute gave me a very special window in.
Xoxo

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I’m so glad I could share part of my mom with you through my writing. I wish you would have met her because I know you would have loved her. And yes, I loved my brother’s statement about her net worth — all so very true. Thank you for being such a support for me now and always. xoxo

clark May 6, 2013 at 6:20 pm

“My mom was generous in so many ways. Not just with gifts, but with her time. My mom could listen to you like no one else and always made you feel like what you had to say was important.”
Your Post was both moving and… eloquent, perhaps because you have given us a sense, a feeling for your mother, as a person. When I was last in a similar circumstance, I found that to recall the person (I had lost) can create both painful and somehow a *good* feeling. To know you are describing the character, ‘the way of’ a loved one to people who have never met them is very special thing.
Sharing, both part of your life (and) your feelings of loss, while difficult is also very life affirming.
Thank you for sharing this with those of us who have come to know you through these pages.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Clark, you are absolutely right, that along with the pain there is also somehow a ‘good” feeling when I recall and describe my mom to others. I was blessed to be her daughter, no doubt about that. I was hesitant to post this tribute, but now I’m glad I did, because I know I have touched others who may have experienced a huge loss during their life. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Barbara May 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Emily, this is the most beautiful, sincere and heartwarming tribute I have ever read……I am choked with tears !

Giant Moma hugs to you from me…..B.S.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Thank you so much Barbara…your thoughts and hugs mean a lot to me and you are one awesome mama yourself…I hope you know I thought of you as one of the other “cool” moms too…xoxo

Barbara May 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm

This is such a beautiful tribute, Emily. Thank you for sharing your mom with us – she’s someone we can all aspire to emulate.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Yes, I agree. Having her as my mom has made me continually strive to be a better parent. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Mary Anne May 6, 2013 at 9:24 pm

How sweet and also touching. You are one lucky girl to have such a mom and dad!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Yes, I was a lucky daughter! Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Julia May 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Ethel was one of a kind. She and your dad chose to really live life while they were young and healthy enough to enjoy all the natural beauty around them. What a genius move to buy their “weekend dream house” when they did and spend their down time in languid, peaceful bliss among the gardens and the pond. Ethel lived her life as she chose; she was a true lady who swore like a sailor :-) All of my memories are good ones, snapshots frozen like the vodka bottle hiding in the freezer…be at peace, Mrs. Mitty. You are an irreplaceable original <3

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I love all your thoughts Julia and how you recognized that Ethel was a gem in so many ways. I know you understand what she meant to me and I’m truly comforted by your words. xoxo

Kelly May 6, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I’m so very sorry for your loss but it sounds like you had the best mom ever! I love her humor and grit and I can see where you’ve gotten it:).

Best wishes to you gorgeous!

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Aw thanks Kelly…she was the best mom ever and I’m glad her true spirit came through in my writing. So appreciate your thoughts and support.

Michelle May 7, 2013 at 1:43 am

Emily, a wonderful tribute…..and your mum will always be with you in spirit. Am lifting up a special prayer for her today.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thank you Michelle, I really appreciate your thoughts and support.

Pat May 7, 2013 at 4:58 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Emily. Your mom sounded like such a vibrant, beautiful, loving woman. This is a beautiful tribute to the everlasting love between a mother and daughter. At times like this our words fall short, but I hope you know that many, many people are lifting your spirit (even long distance) in thoughts, as you mourn the passing of this wonderful woman.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughts and support. I am thankful to have had her as my mom. Appreciate you reading and commenting, too.

Melanie Chisnall May 7, 2013 at 5:42 am

A lovely, heartwarming tribute to a beautiful person from the way you describe your mom. She sounded like an incredibly amazing, fun and special person, and I can tell how close you were from your tribute. I’m so sorry for your loss. Words can’t express, but I am thinking of you during this time xx

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Thank you so much Melanie. She was a beautiful person, inside and out. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Helene Cohen Bludman May 7, 2013 at 6:39 am

Emily, I can only imagine the intense sense of pain and loss you are feeling. I hope the wonderful memories of your fantastic mom will sustain you through this dark period in your life. Thoughts are with you.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Thank you and yes, I am focusing on all the happy memories, of which there are many. I was very fortunate to be her daughter. :) Thank you for reading and commenting.

Bonnie May 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Oh, Emily. I’m so, so sorry. Your mom sounds wonderful and very much loved. Sending you hugs.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Yes, she was very much loved by family, friends, and colleagues. She touched many lives. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Katia May 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

You paint such a vivid picture of her and I wish I knew her. Your relationship with her reminds me so much of mine with my mom. Her personality too. This is wonderfully written, she must have been so very proud of your writing. Once again I am terribly sorry for this huge loss.

ohboymom May 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Thanks so much Katia. I appreciate you reading it and yes, she was my biggest fan of my writing. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ruchira May 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Emily, Your mom was a wonderful human being. She was a kind soul and right now she is at a better place esp since physically she was fighting the cancer.

Hugs to you my friend. I can understand what a loss of a parents means. Stay strong and give me a shout out, if need be!

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks so much Ruchira. And I know you are a kind soul too, since it resonates so clearly in your blog. Thank you so much for your hugs and support.

Carol May 8, 2013 at 12:51 am

What an amazing tribute to your mom. She sounds like a truly remarkable woman and I’m so very sorry for your huge loss.

I hope to be so fondly remembered by my children. What you wrote sure makes me feel like I need to step up game! xo

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I feel the same way, believe me! I’m going to continually strive to be the kind of parent my mom was to me. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Caryn/The Mid Life Guru May 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I can’t even fathom loosing my mom right now. What a wonderful tribute. May these memories bring you peace and keep you warm this Mother’s Day and always.

ohboymom May 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I could never fathom losing my mom either, but I am comforted by knowing how lucky I was to be her daughter. Thank you for reading and commenting and I appreciate your thoughts.

Nanci May 9, 2013 at 12:50 am

Emily, you are absolutely amazing. I am astounded by what an incredible writer you have become. Your tribute to Ethel was so beautiful and touching, and I agreed with what every other person wrote in response.

While I did not get to spend as much time with your mom as some others, I vividly remember her down to earth yet sophisticated nature. Her slight British accent, and beautiful way with words. She was certainly a cool mom to me. I remember both your parents always seemed genuinely interested in talking to me, and really listening, and always made me feel completely at home both at the country home and their apartment. I remember that your mom and dad were so cute together, and just seemed to have such a sweet relationship. Hearing about how much you enjoyed seeing them together in the hospital together those last few weeks especially touched me, and seemed to be just another example of how they lived and loved every moment. You are so fortunate to have grown up in a household like yours, filled with so much love and a mother who want to share with you and others the things that gave her joy, like the wet pavement and the rainbow. And your boys were so lucky to have had her in their lives, so engaged in their lives, for as long as they did. May her memory be a blessing. I will try to call you again, and hopefully we will get to talk soon.

ohboymom May 9, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I’m so glad you were touched by my tribute and that you recognize I was fortunate to be her daughter. :) I am finding comfort in all my wonderful memories and knowing she lived a fulfilling and beautiful life. Thanks so much for reading and commenting and for being such a supportive friend. I can’t wait to see you this summer!

Elias Zanetti May 9, 2013 at 7:16 am

Very touching, thanks for sharing…

ohboymom May 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

And thank you for reading…appreciate your thoughts.

karen May 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

What a lovely post dedicated to your mother. I am deeply sorry for your loss, I can’t even imagine not losing my mother and can only imagine your sorrow. I am sure she was honored to have you for a daughter. (HUGS)

ohboymom May 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

And I was honored to be her daughter…I was one lucky girl growing up with a mom like her.:) Thank you for reading and I do appreciate your thoughts.

Mommyproof May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Oh, wow, Emily, this is a beautiful tribute, and I”m brushing away tears as I type. I’m sure this time is so difficult for you, but I love that you can see the joy in a life (so) well-lived. That is worth celebrating. xox

ohboymom May 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I agree, my mom had a full and beautiful life and that is definitely something to celebrate. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your thoughts very much.