10 Benefits To Having Teen Boys - OhBoyMom

10 Benefits To Having Teen Boys

May 21, 2013 in Teenagers

Français : Affiche de la série Teenagers

Teenagers (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Gone are the days when I was chasing my three active boys around the playground, or wiping their chocolatey mouths or their cute, little butts. Although two of my three boys are now teenagers, my house is still chaotic, dirty and noisy with a large dose of testosterone pulsing through it. Still, there are times when I long for that phase of them being young again, when I could pick them up and kiss their pudgy cheeks. Yet, I’ve recently discovered that being a mom to teenage boys has benefits that I never would have foreseen when they were little guys…

1. I don’t have to bug them to take a shower. Teenage boys want to look and smell good. No more fights to force them to actually wash their bodies. They have girls to impress!

2. I can curse in front of them. For me, the mom with the potty mouth, this is a huge benefit. If I let the F-bomb slip, instead of receiving a judgmental, “Mommy said a bad word” I’ll likely receive a high-five.

3. I don’t need to buy them clothes. Three rotating outfits will be fine. They care about how they look, but not THAT much. And their clothes pretty much work year-round. T-shirt and shorts are status quo, and when it’s real cold, a pair of jeans or athletic pants and they’re all set.

4. I don’t have to have “the talk” with them. Yeah, I’m leaving all the embarrassing discussions to Dad. He can review puberty, shaving, and any talk about testicles with them. Sorry, not my department.

5. They’re never too cool to hug their mom. They may go through a few years where hugging dad feels awkward, but mom never gets rejected.

6. If I don’t feel like talking, I can get away with it. Teenage boys are not the most prolific creatures. Sometimes grunts and one-word answers are all you’ll get. And if I’m in a bad mood or it’s before 7am, I’m the same way and essentially mute. My boys never even notice.

7. They are stronger and taller, so I have a built-in helper. Need something off the top shelf? Need some furniture moved? No problem! A teenage boy seems to happily oblige if it means showing off their new and improved muscles.

8. I can finally have privacy in the bathroom. Nothing scares a teenage boy more than seeing his mom naked. He will do anything and everything to avoid this from happening. You can enjoy long, hot showers or take a magazine to the porcelain “throne” and I can promise you, you won’t be disturbed like you were when they were younger.

9. I can read their minds. If one of my teens is upset or stressed or worried, I can see it immediately. Teenage boys may hold it together for their friends, but in front of mom, they are as transparent as water.

10. I can feed them Hot Pockets, frozen dinners, or leftover Chinese food and they won’t care. Teenage boys are hungry all the time, so as long as you keep a steady stream of food going into them, they won’t care if it’s home-cooked or straight from the box. Carbs are carbs and that’s all that matters to them.

As of now, I’ve got no complaints being a mom to teenage boys. But, one year from now when my oldest will be learning to drive, my list will change and so will my attitude. Please send me valium now, because that’s one teenage milestone I’d rather not face.

Cyndi May 21, 2013 at 8:47 am

OMG – I laughed out loud at so many of these. Haha. I loved your comic relief this morning. I even read some of them aloud to my husband – he’s one of four kids (2 boys, 2 girls) and he was noting the similarities with his mom as I read your points. LOLOL. Have a wonderful day!

ohboymom May 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm

So glad you enjoyed it and also glad your husband could relate!

Janine Huldie May 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

Seriously jealous about the cursing and the clothes or the lack there of buying them for them. Seriously, I have the mouth of a sailor (courtesy of my grandfather from years past) and I have to watch everything I say now with two kids who repeat me constantly. And the clothes, I have to go buy more for them, because the princesses don’t have enough for the summertime now, lol!!

ohboymom May 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Well, the upside to having girls who like nice clothes is that when they reach their teen years, you can all share outfits! :)

Kate May 21, 2013 at 2:48 pm

If I ever have kids, I definitely want boys- for all the reasons you state. Girls are so hard! I know, I am a tough one!

ohboymom May 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Yeah I was a tough teen too…I can’t compare what it’s like to parent a teen girl, but I’m sure there are benefits to that too! :)

Dana May 21, 2013 at 2:58 pm

This was a very comforting post for me. I have a teenage daughter, and my son is almost 12. The thought of a second teenager is scary, but I’m going to focus on all the positive things you listed. We are still in the “I hate to shower” phase, but I’m with you on the three outfit rotation. And it has to be snowing for him to wear pants!

ohboymom May 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Same here about the pants — it’s crazy!! Glad my post could comfort you in some small way.:)

Marcia Doyle@ Menopausalmother May 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Oh Girl, I am totally with ya on this one–I have 4 kids–2 are older boys and everything you said here resonates true with me! Love the comment about the boys not wanting to see their mother naked. Just the mention of it causes my own boys to make gagging noises. Just stopping by from the writer’s Fb group–catching up on all the blogs participating–I’m Marcia Doyle from Menopausal Mother–nice to meet ya!

ohboymom May 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hey Marcia – thanks so much for reading and commenting. Nice to meet you too and will definitely visit your blog as well!

Melanie Chisnall May 22, 2013 at 2:37 am

Haha!! I’ll have boys for number 8 alone! You’re are slowly convincing me that having boys is also fun… Of course most women want girls so that they can dress them up and what not, but wow…from what you’ve just listed, having boys definitely has loads of benefits!

ohboymom May 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I have several friends who couldn’t wait to dress up their little girls, only to discover that their daughter had no interest in cute dresses (I was one of those girls; always hated dresses). So, you never know…boy or girl, it’s always fun, I promise!

Kristi Campbell May 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love number 8 as well. I’m in the stage right now where my 3 year old (almost 4 – OMG where does the time go?) hangs out in the bathroom with me when I’m getting ready. He wants to use the hair dryer, always finds the sharp nail scissors and generally makes what should take 10 minutes take 30. And yay to them still giving you hugs :)

ohboymom May 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Oh I remember those days of hanging out in the bathroom with mom…sometimes I miss it, but most of the time I’m thankful to have some much needed alone time. And yes, at least the hugs last forever. :)

karen May 22, 2013 at 10:09 am

So this is what it will be like when Dino is older, sounds pretty darn good to me. I hope hubby is up for the talk about body parts, though he can’t even say the word “penis” in front of our son…so I am worried, LOL. I think that will have to be up to me. :(

going to pin this to “Raising a boy”, think it will come in handy

ohboymom May 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for the pin Karen! And that’s pretty funny about your hubby too. :)

Melissa@Home on Deranged May 24, 2013 at 1:41 am

I will never know this day, but is it fair to say that being married to a younger man gives me some insight into this list? lol. Seriously. Numbers 2 and 7 are definitely the same.

ohboymom May 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Ha — that is funny and yes, I do think there’s not much difference between men and teenage boys!

Nicole January 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

LOVED this! Thanks for the laugh and the warm fuzzies in my heart! I’m with you on the high-fives for the occasional F-bomb!

ohboymom January 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

Oh good, I’m glad to hear there’s another cursing mama out there! :)