I Thought I Was So Cool When I... - OhBoyMom

I Thought I Was So Cool When I…

April 18, 2013 in Finish-The-Sentence Friday

Karaoke Revolution (2009 video game)

Karaoke Revolution (2009 video game) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

…sang karaoke at a bar one night.

I know what you’re thinking: How can anyone look cool singing karaoke?

Well, this was in the late 1980s when karaoke was all the rage. My college friends and I decided to go check out the newest, hottest karaoke bar in New York City. The place was packed, not just with people, but with the famous “brat pack.” We were psyched to be rubbing shoulders with celebrities like Rob Lowe and Judd Nelson from those hit teen-oriented 80’s movies like “St. Elmo’s Fire.”

So we already felt ultra cool hanging out in the same bar as these celebrity actors. After a few drinks, we decided to show them (and the rest of the crowd, but who cares about them) how cool we really were. We spent some time figuring out which song we wanted to sing and then we planned out how we wanted to perform.

We chose the song, “Still The One” (No, NOT the song by One Direction…This was the 80’s…the song was by a group called Orleans.)

You may recall the song if you were born before 1980…it had these lyrics:

We’ve Been Together Since Way Back When,

Sometimes I Never Want To See You Again,

But I Want You To Know After All These Years,

You’re Still The One I Want Whisperin’ In My Ear…

You get the idea.

We decided to “act out” the verses to the song so for example, I’d whisper in one friend’s ear during the verse above. And when the song got to the line, “You’re Still The One Who Can Scratch My Itch” my friend turned around and I scratched his back.

Ultimate cool-ness.

Except I forgot to mention that the audience members could “vote” with claps or boos depending on how good you were. If you got enough claps, you stayed on stage. If you got booed, out came the dreaded gong.

We hadn’t even finished the song and then I heard, “GONG!”

We refused to get off the stage and kept singing.

I think a giant hook came out and pulled us off.

Did I still think I was cool after that?

Of course! So what if I was ridiculed by Rob Lowe and a bunch of strangers?

And by the way, I know you’re wondering, and yes, Rob Lowe DID get up on stage and sing.

He wasn’t any better than us, although he did look pretty hot. No one dared to boo him either.

No gong for the good-looking celebrity.

I still say I was cooler than him though.

Rob Lowe in the All-New Challenger

Rob Lowe in the All-New Challenger (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
WHO IS COOLER? ME OR HIM???

This post was part of Finish-The-Sentence Friday. If you’d like to link-up and participate or simply read other great posts, click on this button below:

Finish the Sentence Friday

Jean Heff April 18, 2013 at 11:52 pm

You are cool to me. I have NEVER done karaoke. Ever. It’s not for lack of desire, I’m just too chicken to do it!

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I never would have done the karaoke alone..it helped to have friends up there and all make fools of ourselves together. :)

Melanie Chisnall April 19, 2013 at 4:25 am

You’d have to get me VERY drunk before I’d ever get on stage and sing karaoke! Funny though, it’s always been a fantasy of mine. I even wanted to be a singer at one stage when I was in my teens. I thought I had the best voice ever. As every teenager who sings in the shower or bath does. Glad you got up there and did it – in front of celebrities too – that’s pretty cool! :P

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Oh yes I agree you MUST have alcohol before attempting karaoke. I think you’ve gotta try it once, especially since you wanted to be a singer. Go for it!

Janine Huldie April 19, 2013 at 7:10 am

Ok, this is so the one thing I would never do and kind wish after your story that I did. Seriously loved hearing about this time in your life and thank you so much for linking this up with us!! :)

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

It was the one and only time I ever did karaoke and if it weren’t for the several drinks beforehand, I never would have done it.

Cyndi April 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

LOL…um, I was born mid-1979 and I think I’d recognize the tunes of these songs, but I can NEVER remember titles. haha.
But…it’s so funny when we look back when we thought we were “cool” and you’re like, “wait, I listened to THAT?” or “I wore THAT!?” or “My hair did WHAT!?” hehehe

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I will admit I had to look up the title AND the words to the song on lyrics.com. I blame my dementia But yes you are so right about our cool-ness factor fading when we look back at ourselves. Sure gives us something to laugh about though.

Kate Hall April 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Awesome! I did karaoke at one of my husband’s Work Xmas parties. We sang Summer Lovin’ from Grease. Everybody loved it. We thought we were cool, so we did You’re the One That I Want. Yeah, we should have stopped at one. People weren’t as excited.

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Yeah, that’s the thing with karaoke. One song seems to be the limit. Once you do two or more, it’s all over.

Katia April 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

That was hilarious! I can just see the whole scene playing in my mind. Of course you’re cooler than Rob Lowe, you sang in front of Rob Lowe. He didn’t have to do that.

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

True, although I will say I probably had a few more drinks than he did. Or maybe not.

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. April 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

That is such a great story! I am always glued to every word of your posts- I know I’ve said it before, but you are such a great storyteller! The Brat Pack- amazing! I’m glad you linked up with us again!

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Thanks Stephanie and I love your posts too! I am flattered by your praise, truly. These link-ups are great (especially for those times when I have writer’s block) so keep ‘em coming!

Ruchira April 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Oh Emily!

You are definitely the cooler one, my friend.

Karaoke sounds so cool, and way to go!!

TGIF

Kristi Campbell April 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Ohhhh boy…Rob did used to be a major hottie, didn’t he? Also? I think you rock for doing karaoke with back scratches and stuff. Seriously. The one and only time I tried it, they didn’t have a gong. To save me from myself, the DJ got up on stage with me. It was bad. I think I was drunk.

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Oh yes, you HAVE to be drunk to do karaoke! If you weren’t, then that makes you ultra cool, or else ultra crazy! :)

kerri April 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

sober = extra crazy, not extra cool :0

Kristi Campbell April 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Oops, and you were SO the cooler one.

Considerer April 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Hahahaha an ACTUAL hook? I didn’t think they really did that! Still, it makes a great anecdote.

kerri April 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Holy crap you are cool! In a bar with bad-boys Judd and Rob? And you got up on stage and got them to notice you? Okay, with a gong but at least they noticed you!!!

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Well, “notice” may be a strong word here, but let’s just say they were in the audience when we sang, which is cool enough for me!

clark April 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm

very cool

never had the nerve (or sufficient controlled substances) to do a karaoke… played in bands for years, but never could imagine singing… and the songs of our respective eras… give them long enough they will show up as Classic Rock

great postation

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Love that word, “postation.” And you are right, they will eventually be “classic rock” songs. Gosh I’m old. :)

Julie Chenell DeNeen April 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I used to do this in my room, in front of the mirror. I thought I was so cool…I wasn’t. :) LOL

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm

It was! Mirror karoake is just as cool!

Dana April 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I’m so cool I knew exactly what song you were talking about without even reading the lyrics. I used to sing it into my hairbrush, with my poster of Rob Lowe watching me. Not quite the same experience as yours, but it’s all I got.

ohboymom April 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm

At least you didn’t publicly make a fool of yourself singing into your hairbrush…sounds like you had the right idea. And so glad you knew the song I was referring to! That DOES make you so cool!

Marianne S. April 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I was born on the TAIL end of 79, but don’t remember that song… perhaps because it was a different genre of music than I listened to… What’s the title of the song?
that said, I’ve NEVER done karaoke… couldn’t picture myself on stage!!

My husband said that 50% of it is getting up on stage.. the other 50% is talent… The fact you had the guts to get up there… Good on ya!!
Thanks for sharing your FTSF post!

Marianne @ Sandling All Day

Michelle April 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

That sounded like fun though! Sometimes, we just have to let loose!

Kelly April 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love it! I did do some Karaoke in a bar (a couple years ago) no one cool was even there! Our group was so drunk and so bad they turned the microphones OFF:)) hahahahaha I just sang louder!

ohboymom April 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Good for you! Sounds like it was a great night even if you got the “hook” to get off the stage like I did! :)

Amy April 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Well, I think it was cool for you to even try! I never would have gotten up there to sing because I would have been terrified of humiliating myself. Courage = cool, even if it’s alcohol induced! :)

ohboymom April 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I never thought about it that way but yes I like that: courage = cool. And by the way, we probably did humiliate ourselves a bit, but I think most people do with karaoke. :)

Michelle April 27, 2013 at 9:03 am

What a great story! Even if you did get the GONG. I never in a million years would have been brave enough to get on stage and sing! Definitely cool in my book!

ohboymom April 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

That was the first and last time I ever got on stage to sing…I was braver (or maybe just sillier) in my 20s. Thanks for commenting!