Wordless Wednesday: My New Second Home - OhBoyMom

Wordless Wednesday: My New Second Home

March 6, 2013 in Wordless Wednesday

This is the sign that I stared at last night for 1 1/2 hours, after driving 45 minutes to get there. The location was the Brewster Sports Center and it’s my new second home. Why? Because starting last night, I have to take Big Dude there THREE nights a week for basketball practice from 7:30-9pm. This wouldn’t be such a big deal, except for two factors: 1. Brewster Sports Center is a 45 minute drive from our house. 2. There is NO WI-FI at the facility! Did you hear me? NO WI-FI! If that isn’t a sacrifice for my son, I don’t know what is. But, as you’ll read in my post tomorrow, this is a great opportunity for Big Dude since he will be playing on a great team for a terrific coach. So, either my husband or I will be making the drive up there for the practices. Of course, I haven’t even mentioned that in addition to the practices, there are tournaments every weekend starting in April on both Saturday and Sunday. Insane, right? Our only saving grace is that one of my son’s teammates lives right around the block from us. Hello Carpool!!

If you’d like to participate in Wordless Wednesday, hop on over to Cyndi at Pictimilitude and you can link-up!

Melanie Chisnall March 6, 2013 at 9:12 am

On no….no Wi-Fi! That’s not good! You’ll have to take a book or magazine with you, LOL. Carpools come in VERY handy. Looking forward to tomorrows post. :)

Cyndi March 6, 2013 at 9:19 am

It sounds like it’s a great opportunity for Big Dude and yeah, ya gotta go for it. :D I am *so sorry* they don’t have wi-fi. Can you create one with your smartphone. Of course, you could be like me and have a dumbphone. Hehehe.

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm

You and your dumbphone crack me up. Yes, apparently I was the last person in the world to discover that I can turn my phone into a hotspot. And of course, I have no idea how to do it…

Cathy Chester March 6, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hey, not to sound old….but enjoy it! I miss those days of involvement, car pools, excitement (but not the exhaustion). Sounds great, though. Pace yourself, and know that you’re a GREAT mom! Oh, boy…(had to say that).

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Aw thanks, I just hope my Dude appreciates it, if not now, someday!

clark March 6, 2013 at 9:52 am

i think cyndi has the answer, hot spot off your phone!

hey, wait a minute, can’t you use your phone itself?*
it’s interesting how the community we are coming to existence in and enjoy being in is in the air! (lol yeah, I will stop now)

*I tried to post from my phone and Comment and such but found that my fingers were too big and my eyes too small… maybe you could pay a young person to be a stenographer… a new job category virtual stenographer for bloggers!

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Yes, I could use my phone, but at my age, I’m going blind and can barely see the screen as is. Plus, I hate to type on it. I’d say stenographer is a great idea…the question is should I hire a Clark, Roger, or Scott for the job?! :)

clark March 8, 2013 at 4:50 am

lol
… definitely a clark. (rogers have a certain gift for writing, but you need someone to do the typing, not the creating… so it’s got to be a clark!). a roger would be all listeny and encouraging, but at some point in time, the ‘it’s-not-about-me-why-should-I-care factor would occur to your (rogerian) stenographer and they would either start editing on you or tell you a better way to tell the story.

(well, *you* asked! ) lol

Kristi March 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

No wi-fi?!?! It’s never too early to start a petition, I say. Wow, Big Dude must be really good! That’s so cool that he’s got this great opportunity. Still, I’d petition for wi-fi! ;)

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I DID almost complain to the facility last night about the no wi-fi…another guy overhead me asking and he said we should complain, but I chickened out. I was afraid they’d think I was some obsessed, high-strung blogger that couldn’t live without her internet. Oh wait, I am.

Alexa March 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm

and I thought karate two nights a week was bad! THREE nights! Wow. You are a dedicated mom. But, it’s awesome that you’re going to have time to READ!!!!!

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Yes, the time to read (and write) will be nice. It’s the 45-minute drive each way that may kill me though. :)

Julie DeNeen March 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

ugh. That sucks – royally!!!

Diana @ Nanny to Mommy March 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I can’t wait to be a soccer mom! I got the van already! :) Maybe it’s just me though…

Thanks for sharing on Bloppy Bloggers for us to see. :)

Diana @ Nanny to Mommy

P.S. Here’s my Wordless Wednesday Linky if you are interested. :)

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm

You are too funny, with your soccer mom van. Thanks for sharing your linky and for reading/commenting…will go check out your blog now!

Stacy Harris March 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

No Wi-Fi… I would die. Did you try making your phone into a hotspot. Not sure how well that would work but you never know. On the other hand… grab a labtop and write without the interuption of the internet right at your fingertips! :)

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Actually, I did write on my laptop last night and I’ll admit it was great to not have the internet interruptions. I worked on my book and did a blog post, so very productive. And yes, I’ve heard I can turn my phone into a hotspot, but of course I have no idea how to do that.

Amy March 6, 2013 at 7:41 pm

No WiFi!?! What kind of craziness is that?? You know, maybe I’ll have to sneak out of here and come meet you for coffee one night. :) I’m about a 20 minute drive from Brewster!

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Are you really? That’s how clueless my geography is…would love to meet you one night! I’ll be there on many weeknights as well as some weekends from now until oh, July. Help.

Janine Huldie March 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Not sure how I missed this earlier and am so sorry. My hat is off to you, because I am so not sure I would be able to deal with no wi-fi!! God help me I would probably start twitching, lol!! Seriously, sounds like a great opportunity for him and sure you are a totally proud mama!! :)

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

No apologies necessary – you still amaze me with your faithful commenting to so many blogs per day. I try to get to everyone but it’s so hard on some days. And yes, the no wi-fi is a challenge, but I’ve been told I can make my phone into a hotspot..now I just need to figure out how!

Rich Rumple March 6, 2013 at 7:55 pm

This is a great opportunity for your son! Just look at it this way, if it helps him to get a scholarship, think of how beneficial it will be! And, think of all the hours you can be writing on a laptop (for later publication), instead of working at the convenience store to pay for his schooling! Maybe a great school like Indiana University will even recruit him, and you’ll be set for life! Love the dedication!

ohboymom March 6, 2013 at 8:01 pm

And I love your enthusiasm! You are right, it is a great opportunity (for him and for my laptop use) and even if he doesn’t get recruited by your beloved Hoosiers, at least he’ll have the memories of long drives along Route 684 to Brewster Sports Center with his mom and dad…:)

another jennifer March 6, 2013 at 9:41 pm

No wifi? That’s terrible. If you have a smart phone, you need the option to make it a hot spot. Totally worth an extra few bucks a month! At least this is a good opportunity for your son.

ohboymom March 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yes, I’m going to make my smartphone into a hotspot next time…I am so clueless that I didn’t realize I could do that! Thanks for commenting!

Lisa Newlin March 7, 2013 at 7:23 am

No Wi-fi?! The next thing you’re going to tell me is there isn’t a snack bar there either. Or just a regular bar. The world is upside down! I strongly suggest a cooler of goodies to get you through this difficult time. But kudos to you for making the sacrifice for your kids. They will appreciate it later in life. I know I do.

ohboymom March 7, 2013 at 10:06 am

You’ll be relieved to know there IS a snack bar. But, I like your idea of a regular bar much better! :)

B March 13, 2013 at 10:13 am

I feel your pain. My 7th grade son just finished his basketball seasons – yes that is plural. He played on two teams. The season started in October and just ended this past weekend. Because of the two teams most often it was a 7-day-a-week marathon. Some days two practices or games a day. Add weekend travel for the traveling league to that – I am a single mom & exhausted. But he loves to play, it keeps him busy, active, off video games and attentive to his school work (I wont let him play if his GPA drops below a certain level). It’s also a limited period of time that we have to deal with these things – probably only two seasons – this year and next. Once the boys are in high school, I believe NCAA rules prohibit playing on multiple teams at the same time. So hang in there. I have a month break then on to rugby season……….

ohboymom March 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm

My two younger kids each played on 2 basketball teams too this season. And my oldest played high school basketball and is now starting his AAU basketball season, which goes through the summer…so in my house, basketball never ends! (And yes, we do other sports too!)…glad i’m not the only one out there exhausted by all of this.