Conversations With Siri: Mom versus Son - OhBoyMom

Conversations With Siri: Mom versus Son

March 15, 2013 in Teenagers

Image representing Siri as depicted in CrunchBase

Image via CrunchBase

As an iPhone 5 user, I have the convenience of using Siri when I need her. According to the Apple website, Siri lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more.*  See that asterisk after more? Well, my son seems to have discovered what “more” Siri can do.

Big Dude has lots of fun talking to Siri. He likes to ask her random questions just to see how she’ll respond. Below, I’ll show you the differences between my questions/requests for Siri versus my witty dude’s. Let me know what you think of Siri’s responses.

Before starting a conversation with Siri, you should tell her what you want to be called. You could just tell her to call you by your first name. But, that’s no fun. I tell her to call me “Tennis Star.” My son tells her to call him, “Stud.”

These are the types of questions I ask Siri:

Me: Siri, send me a message to return Sally’s call.

Siri: Okay. Send Tennis Star a message to return Sally’s call. Is that correct?

Me: Siri, Put my doctor appointment for tomorrow at 1pm in my calendar.

Siri: Okay. Put doctor appointment for tomorrow March 15 at 1pm in Tennis Star’s calendar. Is that correct?

Me: Siri, call home.

Siri: Okay, calling Tennis Star’s home.

Me: Siri, where is the nearest grocery store?

Siri: The nearest grocery store is at 2425 Palmer Avenue, New Rochelle, NY

Siri and I have a pretty typical (i.e., boring) relationship. Big Dude, on the other hand, has much more entertaining interactions with Siri. These are the types of questions that he asks:

The romantic teen asks:

Dude: Siri, will you marry me?

My son has found out that Siri actually gives three different answers for this question, since he’s asked for her hand in marriage several times:

Siri: I’m not the marrying kind.

Siri: We hardly know one another.

Siri: Let’s just be friends, OK?

Next, the melodramatic teenager says this to Siri:

Dude: Siri, I want to die.

Siri: I found three suicide prevention centers a little ways from you. (Note: I thought this was excellent that Siri is actually programmed to help in this way).

And then the smart-ass teenager asks this:

Dude: Siri, Where is the nearest bar or pub?

Siri: The nearest bar or pub is at Larchmont Tavern, 105 Chatsworth Avenue (Okay, there should be parental controls on Siri).

Finally, the sensitive teen wants to know this:

Dude: Siri, Do you love me?

To which she has three ingenious answers:

Siri: Would you like me to search the web for “love?” Just kidding!

Siri: Does Apple make iPhones?

Siri: Let me get back you on that. (That’s my favorite).

My conclusion: Siri is one smart gal.

Melanie Chisnall March 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

Haha, Geoff showed me this feature on his iPhone shortly after he got it earlier this year. Couldn’t believe it. It was so weird. I think if you’re bored or are using it for the first time, you can have a lot of fun with it! Like your son has, lol!

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 9:40 am

Yes, it is a fun feature because in certain cases, you really don’t know how Siri will respond. Whoever programmed “her” seems to have thought of all sorts of query possibilities, including bored teenagers. :)

Janine Huldie March 15, 2013 at 10:05 am

I hate to admit I have yet to really use Siri with my iPhone. Not sure what I am waiting for, but truly loved you conversations and your son’s are truly the best!!

Cyndi March 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

One day I’ll join the smartphone revolution. It just kills me a little that landlines are $29, dumbphones are $49 and smartphones are $79. And that’s for one phone; we’d need two. *sigh* I know, I know…I’m cheap but that jump from $84 a month to $160 is a huge one at the moment for two phones….LOL

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Oh I hear ya…our cell phone bill (along with 2 kids who have them) is not pretty. Siri can wait for you. :)

Jessica Smock March 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm

That is so funny! I’ve never even seen Siri in action in real life. I think that would absolutely blow my toddler son’s brain. It would just explode in an instant. I have a previous version of the iphone, and he’s not even two yet but he’s better at swiping the phone than I am. So much for no exposure to cell phones or computers before age two…:) The iphone is my best friend during his temper tantrums, and I know that it makes me a bad mom….:)

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 6:35 pm

You are not a bad mom — you are a SMART mom! iPhone to the rescue — makes perfect sense to me. :)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. March 15, 2013 at 3:41 pm

That is so funny! Apparently teenage boys and six year old girls have that in common- Izzy loves to ask Siri questions. We think it is awesome when she responds, “This is about you, not me.” We also like it when she tell us joke and says, “How may iphones does it take to…never mind.” Who knew Siri would be so fun for the whole family?

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Oh yes, I’ve heard her say “this is about you, not me” also! Too funny…I agree, Siri is fun for us all!

Roshni March 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm

That’s outstanding!! I just love her answers!!

Mommyproof March 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Hilarious. I have never actually used Siri, but now I think I want to try asking her a whole host of questions (how will she respond to the inappropriate kind?!) xox

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Believe me, my son has asked her the inappropriate kind too…she seems to have an answer for everything!

Kristi Campbell March 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I love this! I’ve had an iPhone since the very first iPhones came out (yeah, I’m one of the idiots who paid $600 just to be first. I love Apple.) and I don’t really use Siri. I am SO going to start now though. It’s good to know that she’ll answer random questions! So awesome. Heheh to the “let’s just be friends, OK?” The “ok” at the end makes it perfect.

ohboymom March 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm

My brother is another crazy apple person too. He stands on line every time they launch something new because he MUST have it first. He and Siri are besties! :)

grownandflown March 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Siri is an intriguing part of iphones and I used “her” quite a bit at first, just to see how she would respond. I like the send reminder capability the best sinceI can use all the memory support I can get.

ohboymom March 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I’m with you on that…I use Siri for reminders all the time now!

clark March 19, 2013 at 8:33 am

…note to self, do not get an iPhone, lol

Well, of course you need to ask the machine certain questions, how else will it learn to assimilate?
I have resisted the full on automation convenience of a Siri like product, although the scifi, George Jetson quality is way, way enticing.

ohboymom March 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I agree — it’s almost too intriguing to resist. And whoever programmed Siri seemed to have lots of fun doing so.