Finish-The-Sentence Friday: When It Comes To Reality TV Shows, I... - OhBoyMom

Finish-The-Sentence Friday: When It Comes To Reality TV Shows, I…

February 1, 2013 in Finish-The-Sentence Friday

When it comes to reality TV shows, I….

am a complete failure. I don’t watch them — not one! But wait, keep reading and let me explain myself.

When “The Bachelor” and “Survivor” first came out, I was a devotee to both those shows, so much so that I wouldn’t make plans the night they were on. I’ll never forget that first season of “The Bachelor” because my husband had made dinner reservations to go out with another couple the night of the final rose, when the Bachelor picks his woman. I pleaded with him to cancel or reschedule the plans.

“I can’t miss the finale!” I complained.

“We’ll tape it, not a big deal,” my husband said, trying to appease me. He probably also said to me, “get a life” but I blocked that part out.

I could not be consoled. I didn’t want to tape it because I knew I’d hear who the Bachelor picked before I got to watch it for myself.

I begrudgingly went to this dinner. The couple we went out with was a few years older than us and I assumed they never even heard of the show “The Bachelor.” I didn’t know the wife Laura that well, because my husband had worked with her husband, Nick in a previous job. We rarely went out with them, although we always had a good time when we did.

During the dinner, I glanced at my watch a few times, hoping that maybe we’d be home by 9pm if we ate quickly. At 8:45, I knew that wasn’t going to happen and I resigned myself to the fact that I’d miss the climactic end of this show.

Except suddenly, a telepathic miracle occurred.

“Hey, isn’t the “Bachelor” finale on in 15 minutes?” Laura asked excitedly.

I tried to play it cool, but I just couldn’t hold back.

“Yes, yes it is!”

“Well, let’s pay the bill and go back to our apartment to watch it. I don’t want to miss this. I’ve got to see who he picks,” Laura said.

And right then, I knew that Laura was my new favorite person.

My husband and Nick made fun of us, but we all watched the finale together and analyzed whether we thought he made the right choice or not.

From then on, I should have become a reality TV junkie. I think I watched one more season of “The Bachelor” and “Survivor” each, but after that, the whole novelty of a reality show wore off for me. I tried watching “The Amazing Race” and “Big Brother” but they both couldn’t hold my interest. I even tried one of the “Real Housewives” shows, but watching those women just scared me. They all seemed like budding train-wrecks, as if they took idiot lessons from Dina Lohan.

So, where does that leave me in terms of my TV selections? I can count them on one hand: Modern Family, Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, and Mad Men. I KNOW I am missing out by not watching Homeland or Revenge. And don’t even get me started on Downton Abbey. I realize I am the ONLY person out there who has never seen that show. And I’ll probably live to regret it. But at least I’ve given up my short-lived reality TV show habit.

P.S. If you ‘d like to participate in Finish-The-Sentence Friday, simply click the FTSF button in my sidebar and you’ll be taken to the host’s site to link-up!

P.P.S. If you ‘d like to vote for me in the Top 25 Funny Moms contest, please click this link:http://www.circleofmoms.com/blogger/oh-boy-mom?blogroll_id=89

Janine Huldie February 1, 2013 at 9:23 am

You aren’t alone and I don’t watch Downton Abbey. I thought it was just me, but have stayed away for it in fear that I would become obsessed. As for you post, I loved it and isn’t it great that we have DVRs now, because I truly don’t know how back in the day I lived without one!! thanks for linking up again and great post!! :)

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Turns out we’re not the only ones Janine…there have been several people who commented on my post who don’t watch Downton Abbey either. We’re not so strange after all. :) Fun link-up as always!

Cyndi February 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

The only show you mentioned that I watch is Mad Men. I’m in LOVE with Mad Men. But, even then, I watch it on Netflix. I invariably watch little TV because…well…I’m a freaking blogaholic. I’m at my computer instead of the TV feeding my addiction. I don’t know which is worse, LOL. The only other shows I watch are How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, lol.

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Yay Mad Men!! I used to work at an ad agency in the 1980s and let me tell you, things were not all that different from the Mad Men days…And yes, I’m like you — such a blogging crazed addict that I rarely sit down to watch TV. Sounds like you’ve picked quality shows to view though when you do.

Dana February 1, 2013 at 11:15 am

I don’t watch Downton Abbey either – I just can’t commit to another television show. I love the half hour comedies – DVR’ed they take me 20 minutes to zip through! Homeland is great though….you could rent the first two seasons :)

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Yeah I know I really should make the effort for Homeland. Thankful I’m not alone with not watching Downton Abbey, though!

Rachel Harper February 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’d like to say you’re missing out, but really, you’re far better off. I’m addicted, wish I wasn’t, but like a bad car crash can’t stop watching.

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm

It’s okay, at least you’ve admitted your addiction. There’s hope for you yet. :)

Michelle February 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I am not a reality junkie either, Emily. Not too much reality in them for me! Thanks for sharing this…glad to know someone else feels the same way!

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I agree. All the “fake” reality and staged stuff is just annoying after a while. I’ll stick to good TV sitcoms and HBO.

Julie DeNeen February 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

you need an intervention right now. Downton abbey is a MUST WATCH. I will be right over. :P

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I had a feeling you’d reply that way. My only interest in Downton Abbey right now is wanting to type the word “Downtown” instead. It drives me crazy. Meanwhile, if you look back at my comments, there are actually several non-viewers of DOWNTOWN Abbey (phew, there I typed it)…looks like it’s going to have to be a group intervention.:)

Kristi February 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

HOLY CRAP. Until reading Julie’s comment, I didn’t even know the show was Downton Abbey. I really am dumb.

Kenya G. Johnson February 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Well I have never seen Downtown Abbey. I find your post quite relatable. Of your currently list, I also watch Modern Family. I watch that, Happy Endings, Scandal and Deception. When I say “watch”, I mean I record them and watch them. Any thing else gets watched live and then its just on, I’m not really paying attention.

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Oh yes, I should have clarified. EVERYTHING I watch is recorded on DVR…and glad I’ve found yet another person who does NOT watch Downton Abbey.

Kenya G. Johnson February 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I wonder if this is a sign to get on board? I just logged into my Amazon account and this note was on the front page “Good news for Prime members. We’ve just completed a deal with PBS to make Prime Instant Video the exclusive subscription home for streaming Downton Abbey’s Season 3 starting in June, and all new seasons for years to com.

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Noooo! Please don’t go over to the “dark side”!! :)

Kenya G. Johnson February 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm

LO!! I told the notice to leave me alone.

Chris at Hye Thyme Cafe February 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

You’re definitely not alone – I never even heard of Downton Abbey until just recently. Now I’m starting to feel strangely left out – which is how I got wrapped up in all the housewives drama – wanting to be able to actually participate in conversations going on around me. [#FTSF]

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm

There’s actually a few of us on here who have never watched “Downton Abbey” so there’s hope…you can participate in a conversation about that (and all those housewife shows too of course.)

Kristi February 1, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I don’t watch Downtown Abbey, either. I’ve never seen a single episode. And dude. You are totally missing out not seeing Homeland. It’s amazing. Really.
Love the story of you at dinner on The Bachelor’s finale. Husbands rarely understand the importance of these things. Glad Laura was as excited as you were for it!

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Okay, you’ve convinced me. I’ll download Homeland off of our Apple TV and start watching. And so glad you’re also a non-viewer of “Downton Abbey.” I knew we had a lot in common.:)

Kristi February 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Because you may be the only person who understands this, I just Googled Downtown Abbey to find out whether it’s a reality show. Yeah, I’m THAT out of the know. Based on the photos of the cast wearing what seem to be period costumes, I’m guessing it’s not reality TV. But I could be wrong.

Kristi February 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

And I just replied the same under Julie’s comment but HOLY SH!T I had no clue the show was NOT named “Downtown Abbey.” WTF. Downton Abbey? What IS THAT?

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

You make me laugh…I have no idea what a Downton is either. And I guess I’ll never know…

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Ha, yeah unless we’re time traveling back to whatever era that shows takes place in, no you’re right it’s not a reality show. Though, by the way everyone talks about it, it certainly sounds like these people are REAL. Too funny that you googled it. :)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. February 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Nope, never seen Downton Abbey. See, you’re not the only one! Also, Modern Family is my favorite show, and one of the few “regular” programs that I can actually pay attention to for a whole half hour. So stinkin’ funny!

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm

So glad there’s a few of us here who have never seen “Downton Abbey.” We’re not so odd after all. :) Go Modern Family!!

Kate Hall February 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

One of two who haven’t seen Downton Abbey- wait, three, I just saw Stephanie’s comment. This is such a fun story. To both be thinking the same thing throughout dinner. So glad she said something! Ha ha!

ohboymom February 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm

So glad we’re not alone with the Downton Abbey non-viewing! Fun link-up this week.:)

Ruchira February 1, 2013 at 4:41 pm

haha…I am sure Laura was your best mate until you lost interest in such shows, Emily :)

This was a funny one :)

nothingbythebook February 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I was a Survivor addict too. But one can only maintain an addiction for so many seasons…

Terrye February 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Emily, don’t feel bad, I have never watched an episode of Downton Abbey, either and I don’t think I want to. I’m more of a shoot ‘em up, mad car chase, good guy throws bad buy off the roof kinda girl ;)

Rich Rumple February 1, 2013 at 8:38 pm

No, you’re not the only person that’s never seen Downtown Abbey. I hadn’t even heard of it before someone (Julie?) mentioned it in their blog a week or two ago. I’m stuck with an addicted wife who must get her nightly fix of these show. I have to hand it to her, she picks mostly the ones with some action, like Axe Men, Gator Boys, Swamp Men, and many like those. At least they give me something to write about and make fun of! lol I can honestly said I’ve never watched more than ten minutes of Survivor, and Housewives show, or The Bachelor series. I do draw the line and force my wife to watch The Biggest Loser in the bedroom. I just can’t handle even listening to that one! Great post!

Roshni February 2, 2013 at 12:51 am

Wow! I can’t believe how well that relates to my own experience!! I too watched the first episode of the Bachelor and then the novelty wore off! I have watched quite a few seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, but now I’m tired of that too!! I catch up on The Middle, Modern Family and Castle on Hulu!!

ohboymom February 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Sounds like we have the same TV tastes. My husband thinks I’m the only person left who still watches Grey’s Anatomy. I think he might be right.

Melanie Chisnall February 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

No, no, you’re not. I also haven’t seen Downton Abbey yet. Most of my friends here watch it too and make a huge fuss of it. I have to see what that’s all about soon. Right now though, I’m trying to catch up with The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, and Grey’s Anatomy. I used to love Amazing Race, but can’t seem to keep up with it. It’s lost the appeal. The Bachelor I still watch, but not religiously. Why they insist on showing it on a Friday night, I’ll never know.