Oh Yes It’s Ladies Night!

January 21, 2013 in Uncategorized

The other night a bunch of us got together for a ladies’ night out. The occasion was my friend’s birthday and about ten of us joined her to celebrate. These types of nights are absolute necessities. I’ll tell you why everyone should make these nights a regular part of their social calendar: It’s how women stay sane.

I love my husband and I love spending time with him, but there are times when you just want to hang with your girlfriends. If any guys are reading this, I’m sure you’re wondering what we talk about, as my husband always does. Some of it, I can divulge and some of it, I can’t. Yup, we girls have our “girl code” too just like you guys have yours when you take your trips to Vegas or to the local bar.

“What happens during girls’ night, stays at girls’ night.”

I’ll tell you what we don’t talk about, hardly at all: our kids. Sure, we might mention that Michael broke his arm, or that Amanda has her first boyfriend, but for the most part, we don’t mention them. It’s nothing intentional, but let’s face it, kids can be a buzz-kill and talking about them during ladies’ night is a rare occurrence.

Sometimes I can’t recall what we talked about, but what usually stands out for me from my nights out with my gal pals is lots of laughter and plenty of wine. Just like the other night. What I most loved about the other night was that we were a relatively diverse group: we ranged in age from late 30’s to early 50’s, two women were divorced, one was about to get married, some of us worked full-time, some part-time, some not at all, some were Jewish, some were not, and so on. And yet despite our varying ages and stages, we all bonded over food and drink and conversations about marriage, men, aging, work, and play.

One of our friends couldn’t make it and the next day I received an email from her with the subject line: What Did I Miss Last Night? She had been to enough of our nights’ out to know that the discussions could become raunchy, and the laughter rather loud. I replied that we had fun, but that this time everyone behaved and did not overindulge, which can also sometimes happen. But, that’s okay. Girl’s nights are meant to be safe places for us to let loose if we need to, to vent, to cry, to scream, to drink, to drink some more, and to promise to do it again soon.

All women need these nights and what I loved about this particular celebration was that my friend’s husband recognized that. He pre-planned the entire dinner, sent us emails to coordinate the time and place, and then arranged a car service to drive our tipsy bodies home from New York City safely. The dinner began with drinks at the bar. The husband-host met us there, bought us drinks, made sure we were seated at our table, made a sweet toast to his wife and left to have dinner with one of his buddies. He came back at the end to generously pay the bill and say good-bye to us. Not only was that a class act, but that was one husband who understands his wife and knew that the best birthday celebration would be for her to be surrounded by her girlfriends. He scored some big-time husband points that night.

Do you have girls’ nights out? I hope so!

Janine Huldie January 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

Someday, when my kids are actually a bit older I hope to again, but right now there doesn’t seem to be enough time or energy for that one around here. Sounds like your friends’ husband is an awesome guy though and loved reading how he coordinated the whole night for her and her friends. :)

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I agree Janine, it’s hard to motivate for a Ladies’ night out when your kids are young. When you do have the energy to go out, it’s with your husband, I’m sure. But when they get a bit older, you’ll see that it becomes a lot easier to make your girlfriends more of a priority again.

Jennifer January 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

Getting out alone and going anywhere is my ‘ladies night out.’ Being off work for over a year because of medical issues and surgery, I have not had much money to do this, but I visit my friends or maybe go to a party. Usually, though, I am happy right here, in the comfort of my home, leaving comments at the cool blogs and doing my own writing. I will say, too, having kids is tough, and I am glad not to have a man in my life right now. I need time to develop me, and a man just gets in the way of that. Kudos to those who are happily married.

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm

You are right, having kids and juggling work and other issues makes planning a Ladies’ night a low priority. Sounds like you are in a good place now and don’t need a night out like others sometimes do. Good for you for cherishing your time alone (I do too.)

Cyndi January 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Wow. I must start this tradition. Yesterday. Damn. I have BEEN MISSING OUT! LOL

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Yes, I agree. I order you to have a Ladies’ night out ASAP (and chatting online with your blogging buddies does NOT count!)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. January 21, 2013 at 10:33 am

One word: YES. There are just some things we can’t get from our husbands.

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:35 pm

So true, so true!

Melanie Chisnall January 21, 2013 at 10:42 am

Wow, what a lucky friend you have! Sounds like you all had a fabulous time. And how weird is it that we both posted on ladies’ nights on the same day?! Lol! I keep saying I need one but haven’t done anything about it. Most of my friends stay on the other side of the mountain, so it’s a bit of a drive, but hopefully I’ll get round to doing that soon. For now, I just stick to watching Sex and the City 😉

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Well, Sex and the City is a fun substitute but make sure you plan a Ladies’ night soon – you sound like you’re overdue! :)

Amy January 21, 2013 at 10:58 am

Big points for the husband who planned that! Wow – how fun! I definitely need to make ladies night out more of a priority. I’m clearly missing out! :)

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Yup, sounds like you’ve got to plan a Ladies’ night out soon…

Heather O. January 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Oh how I miss Ladies Nights! I haven’t had an opportunity to go out with my girlfriends in a LONG time, and we always have such fun! I’m glad you had a great night out!

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Sounds like you’re long overdue for a Ladies’ night out!

Chloe Jeffreys January 21, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I live for my girl time. It’s critical. And luckily I’m married to a man who understands that. Of course I always try to make it very worth his while.

ohboymom January 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm

You sound like me…I wouldn’t stay sane without my girl time! (And, So happy to be a part of your GenFab group!)

Julie DeNeen January 21, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I just came from Melanie’s post and told her I wished she lived closer so we could have girl’s night. In fact, I wish we could all have a girl’s night- all the bloppy blogger ladies. Great post!

ohboymom January 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I so agree with you on that Julie…maybe we can make it happen at BlogHer this summer and have a Bloppy Blogger’s ladies’ weekend!

Rich Rumple January 21, 2013 at 10:36 pm

There are some blogs that one feel almost intrusive in commenting. I’ll close the door gently as I wish you all a great time at ladies night. Now, where’s the football game at?

ohboymom January 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Ha – well, if it makes you feel better Rich, some of us ladies are big football fans too…in fact, I went to college (University of Michigan) with Jim Harbaugh and even had a class with him (yes, he raised his hand and participated too)..Go 49’ers! (And Go Blue too of course!)

Kristi January 22, 2013 at 12:16 am

Hi Emily,
I just gave you an award! Check it out here, and congratulations! :)

ohboymom January 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thank you so much Kristi — I am honored!!

Michelle January 22, 2013 at 2:43 am

I think ladies nights are really important for all of us. And wow, your friend’s husband was one cool dude who really thinks about his wife!! Hats off to him and men who understand!! Thanks for sharing,Emily!!

ohboymom January 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Yes, not all husbands “get it.” One of my friends forwarded this post to her husband to give him the message. :)

Kelly January 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I second this! So true…and I do respect a good drunken night out with my girls:) lol. I have to laugh when you say some of what you talk about you can’t remember … Haha…I used to have this one GF and shed be telling me a story about a night out and we would ultimately get to a point where she would admit with total nonchalance “ok well that’s where I blacked out…” End of story!

Aw wish I could have been there!

ohboymom January 23, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I have a feeling you and I would have a whole lot of fun at a girl’s night out (did that sound weird because I didn’t mean it to!)…one of these days our blogging group is going to have our very own ladies’ night!

Kristi January 28, 2013 at 12:42 am

OMG 1- I want your friends and 2 – I want my husband to take a class from your friend’s husband. Wow. Awesome stuff, that!

Hey, where do you live because um…could I be invited to the next one? Please?

ohboymom January 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Of course, you can join us anytime! I think you are in a different state (I’m in NY) but it might be worth the trip! :)