Why I Wish I Was Pregnant Alongside Kate Middleton - OhBoyMom

Why I Wish I Was Pregnant Alongside Kate Middleton

December 5, 2012 in Pregnancy

Pregnant woman (Disclaimer: Not My Stomach)

Approximately one minute after the news was announced, my Twitter feed informed me that Kate Middleton is pregnant. The very next day, The Today Show was stationed outside the hospital where she is being treated for extreme morning sickness. I feel bad for her, I really do, because morning sickness sucks. Not that I would know, but I’ve heard. You see, I had three blissful pregnancies and I know I was lucky. In fact, I loved being pregnant so much that I have been known to say that I wish I could be six months pregnant for the rest of my life. That’s how good I felt. It wasn’t just how healthy I felt either. I loved wearing maternity clothes and having a big stomach that I wasn’t supposed to hide.  I always hated my stomach because it was never completely flat, like ever. Being pregnant, I actually had a reason to flaunt my gut. I couldn’t have been happier.

So, why would I want to be pregnant again (aside from my reason for loving it) so that Kate (yes, we are on a first name basis) and I could experience these next nine months together?

Well, first off, it’s the clothes! We all know Kate is a stylin’ Princess and whatever she wears will quickly appear in stores thereafter. I can only imagine the maternity fashions that will be available soon. I was fortunate to be pregnant after the MuMu phase and I had some cute maternity outfits, but I know they won’t even compare to what Kate’s going to wear.

Another reason I’d like to be pregnant at the same time as Kate is that everyone is going to speculate relentlessly about the gender of their baby — rather than mine. The press is assuming that since Will and Kate are such a private couple, they will keep the sex of their royal baby-to-be top secret information, if they even find out themselves. My husband and I never found out the sex of all three of our children beforehand, because we truly didn’t care. However, when you’re pregnant, everyone else seems to care SO much if you are having a boy or a girl. If anyone knew anything about our family lineage, they would know that giving birth to a boy was pretty much a sure thing and then they would have just left me alone.

I couldn’t stand the constant speculation and wagers during my pregnancies, mostly from nosy strangers who simply had to comment on my stomach. “You’re carrying low, it’s definitely a girl.”  Uh huh, I’d smile and say, “well, I guess we’ll find out eventually, right?” My point here is that if I were pregnant again, those annoying pregnancy psychic-wannabes would care less about the sex of my baby.  It would be all about the royal baby, or babies, as the press already is saying a strong possibility.

Other than disliking the gender-guessing, I loved the attention of being a pregnant woman. When I was pregnant with Middle Dude, he was due in early January 2000. “He might be a millennium baby born on January 1st,” I’d say, adding some excitement to my unfolding pregnancy story. If Kate and I were pregnant together and due around the same time, I could milk even more oohs and ahhs.: “Oh, I’m due in June, right around the same time as Kate Middleton,” I’d gloat. “Maybe our kids could have play-dates, since they’re going to be the same age and all,” I’d joke. Fun stuff, right?

Oddly enough, prior to the big royal announcement, I actually had a dream that I was pregnant, which would border on a miracle, considering my age. In the dream, I was actually panic-stricken and filled with terror. And, as if observing my own dream, I thought to myself that it wasn’t like me to feel that way about being pregnant. But yeah, I’m done, very done with having babies and that dream was a clear confirmation, especially when I woke up and felt utter relief that I was not with child. I am still a little wistful for that phase of my life, but I’ll just re-live it through Kate, as will the rest of the world.

Grown and Flown December 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I love this and although I am not sure that I would like to pregnant again, I loved those days when my boys were small. WOnder how many women had the same tug you did when they heard the news??

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I wonder too, although I have some friends who have said, “no way, never again” and others who have felt wistful like I have. I guess we can all follow along for the next nine months and perhaps we’ll have any “tugs” all out of our systems by the time the baby is born.

Janine Huldie December 5, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Great post Emily and am with you done being pregnant. Don’t get me wrong I loved carrying both my girls, but by the end of each, Iw as so ready to give birth and put that behind me. By the way, I guess I am not a very nice person, because when I heard she was pregnant and experiencing very bad morning sickness, all I could think was been there and done that and no one cared very much what I was going through and no worries she will still be waited on hand and foot, lol!!

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

A lot of moms who have had morning sickness have had the same reaction as you(that she should suck it up and deal!), but apparently the kind Kate has can be very dangerous and even life-threatening, as I’ve read on a few websites. I’m assuming that’s true, but who knows…

Aprille December 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

Kate has a VERY serious nothing-to-laugh-about condition that one of my very close friends has. She almost died with both of her children and was hospitalized for almost her entire pregnancy, both times. They have been forced to not have any more children because of this condition. Just FYI.

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 3:12 am

Aprille, Yes I know her condition is very serious and I was in no way poking fun at her morning sickness, as so many are doing on social media sites. My post is meant to be about longing for that phase in my life again and how being pregnant at the same time as Kate Middleton would have its advantages.

Aprille December 6, 2012 at 3:53 am

I’m sorry if my comment came off harsh. I knew you weren’t thinking of it that way or poking fun. I just wanted to make sure other commenters knew that her being really sick wasn’t just a rumor. It’s late and I’m tired and I posted rashly so I’m really sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on you.

Kelly December 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

That is so true…I had so many people betting on my babies…I didn’t know what sex they were going to be ahead of time either. It was more fun for me in the delivery room.

Now I can’t wait to see what crazy stuff comes out due to the Rotal Baby!

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I agree, more fun being surprised in the delivery room. And yes, lots of crazy stuff will be surrounding the royal baby, especially if he or she ends up being twins!

Jill Cahr December 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

ICK!

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. December 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I have frequent moments where I wish I could be pregnant again. We may still have one more, so I can still dream about it! It’s funny, though, because my last pregnancy was ANYTHING but easy, but I still idealize it in my mind!

And yes, the commentary of ridiculous speculations is super annoying. I do feel sorry for Kate Middleton- I can’t imagine all the crap she will have to endure during her public pregnancy!

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Yes, it’s funny how we idealize everything about pregnancy and childbirth. My first experience giving birth was nothing short of a nightmare, but clearly I went back and did it 2 more times! And yeah, I feel sorry for Kate too…as if being photographed topless wasn’t bad enough!

Audrey Howitt December 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Loved this! But my pregnant days are long gone! She will be under scrutiny don’tcha think, or don’tcha

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Oh yeah, definite scrutiny — FOR SURE!!

Ruchira December 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I agree with the speculations of what sex Kate is carrying and no wonder Dianna (her late MIL) preferred to keep her stomach covered when in public.

Wishing her the best. Although wondering which ever soul this beautiful princess carries, will be a kind one since he/she will be third to the throne. Future sure lies on her/his shoulder :)

Now, speaking of a common man…my pregnancy was also a bliss and thank god that I did not have morning sickness (same pinch) ;-)

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Yeah I’m thankful for not having morning sickness either…it can really ruin the whole experience!

Stacy Harris December 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

My husband has been having dreams that I was pregnant again. We have three kids, but my youngest is right at that age where I seem to get pregnant. We are done having kids. Mainly because we are already outnumbered. Not that I don’t occasionally get that feeling in my stomach wishing I was again. After all, then I don’t have to come up with a reason for some strange craving… and I can show off my gut. But we can’t afford to have another one. So now my husband keeps buying pregnancy tests… you know – to be certain! :O

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm

That’s pretty funny about buying the tests…I went through a phase after we had our 3rd of thinking I might want a fourth. My husband would turn pale just thinking about putting 4 kids through college. I finally wised up, realizing that a 4th child would put us over the edge, in more ways than one. But, it was fun to think about for a while!

Cari @ MeetMyHusband December 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Wow, I hope my pregnancy(ies) are as pleasant as yours! You’re so right that Kate is going to bring some of the best maternity fashion to the world! Great post, Emily!

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

You’re lucky because when you do get pregnant, you will have fabulous wardrobe choices, thanks to Kate!

Amy December 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Oh, you were one of those happy pregnant women??? I never understood that AT ALL! I was miserable and had morning sickness all day until 16 weeks…then continued to throw up at least once a day right through to the end. I will agree, I liked not having to hide my gut!
Fun post. :)

ohboymom December 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yes, I was one of THOSE women, but don’t worry, I didn’t flaunt it, just enjoyed it. I know plenty of women who had pregnancies like yours and oddly enough, almost all gave birth to girls. I think there is some truth to the myth that being pregnant with a girl means you are much more likely to have morning sickness. You’d probably agree since you have 3!

Cyndi December 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Hehe, funny post. OH man, though…if you were pregnant again, you’d probably have another boy. Oh, Boy! ;)

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

Of course I’d have another boy! They don’t call me Oh Boy Mom for nothin’! :)

Irish Carter December 6, 2012 at 12:22 am

This was great. I love the humor and fun in the article. I too loved being pregnant right around 5 months and 6. Thanks for stopping by dedicated 2 life. I am looking forward to following you. = )

Irish Carter
Dedicated2Life.com
“Promoting Passionate People”

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thanks so much Irish…looking forward to following you too!

Michelle December 6, 2012 at 5:05 am

Emily, being pregnant is a joyful process all ladies can empathize with. I see the joy in your sharing! Thanks for bringing this to us too!

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Of course…it usually is a joyful process, though not for all unfortunately. I was hoping to bring out the fun, lighter side of pregnancy.

Michelle Liew December 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm

No worries, you sure did, Emily, with sensitivity too.

Melanie December 6, 2012 at 7:21 am

Wow! I’ve never heard of women enjoying being pregnant…well, hardly ever. What a dream! I hope mine one day are just as easy and enjoyable :) Poor Kate…imagine having media around because you’re throwing up with morning sickness? That’s crazy!

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

It IS crazy and I do feel bad for her…hopefully her morning sickness won’t last long and she can enjoy the rest of her pregnancy.

Melissa December 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Funny that you post this, because I was just thinking yesterday that all those maternity clothes designers must be frothing at the mouth to design some copycat styles of Kate’s wardrobe. If you’re into fashion, it’s probably a great time to be pregnant!

I had some really terrible awful morning sickness during my pregnancy last year, so I can only imagine what she is going through. Hopefully, the media will get bored and they can enjoy the next few months. Or better yet, once she’s out of the hospital, maybe she and Will will disappear into the depths of the Palace only to emerge in the spring with their lovely baby in arms.

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I agree – I hope the press leaves them alone soon and they can have some privacy during the pregnancy, especially if she continues to be sick. But yes, the fashion designers probably can’t wait to see her emerge in maternity clothes!

ohboymom December 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm

No worries Aprille! I didn’t realize you were replying to a commenter but even so, I welcome ALL comments (except spam of course), and I think you made a very good point. I promise you did not come off as harsh and no apology necessary!