What To Do Over Christmas Break With 3 Boys Who Will Break You - OhBoyMom

What To Do Over Christmas Break With 3 Boys Who Will Break You

December 24, 2012 in Parenting

I’m scared. Christmas break is here and we have nothing planned for the next week and a half.  And I mean nothing. You may as well just start feeding me the valium now. My boys would be perfectly happy turning into zombies and playing endless hours of Xbox. But, that makes me crazy because I know their brains are slowly degenerating and besides, eventually even gaming loses its appeal for them.

I know, I know, I’ve got to get proactive and start planning some activities. But, I’m really at a loss here. Because if we leave the house, the boys really only have a few destinations in mind that appeal to them:

The Basketball Hall of Fame (only an hour and 45 minutes away…oh joy)

A Knicks Game (can anyone spare a thousand dollars please?)

A video arcade (why drag them there when they can play for free at home?)

Indoor Go-Karts (okay…but then the fun is over in about 5 minutes)

A movie (yeah great, but try to find a movie that three boys ranging in age from 9-15 will agree on seeing)

A museum (maybe, just maybe, but it better be the kind of museum where they have interactive displays and if the boys start wrestling in the hallways, we won’t get kicked out)

Ice skating (all three of them actually like to skate so this could work for a few hours. However, I don’t like to be cold when I’m indoors. After one cup of hot cocoa, I’m usually ready to pack it in).

As you can see, I’m kind of in a bind here. Screwed actually.

So please, if you have any suggestions, please send them my way. I’m willing to entertain any and all ideas. Anything to save me from the boredom – and bedlam – that is about to overtake my home.

Cyndi December 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

LOL…I can’t offer you suggestions b/c I’m woefully underqualified in that regard but knowing you, you’re going to come up with something epic and memorable. I would suggest one teeny thing: no activities that involve throwing iPhones. ;) Merry Christmas!

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hahaha! Yes, I can promise you there will be no iPhone-tossing! Merry Christmas!

Janine Huldie December 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I wish I had some good suggestions, but with two little girls, I am on the other end of just no wanting to go anymore by myself for all the tantrums and aggravation that occurs by the end. I wait to do things special on the weekend, when Kevin is home. But anyway, just wanted to say Merry Christmas again to you and your family!!

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too…wishing you a peaceful and tantrum-free holiday.:)

icescreammama December 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

ha!! i hear you loud and clear!! my guys spend a lot of time wrestling each other to the ground, racing round the house and building forts with couch pillows – and those are the good activities. thankfully, we have a basement that i throw them in. we’ve been also choosing a movie a day, and i’ve been bribing them buy baking some sweet something to soothe my sweet savage beasts. :) good luck. enjoy. and drink lots of wine and eat lots of ice cream. works for me!!

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Not to worry, I’ve got the ice cream and wine stock-piled for the week.:) Good idea with the baking bribe and good luck to you too!

clark December 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm

(my vote): the go cart racing!!
Unless all my memories have been replaced and/or edited, go cart racing has the combined appeal of…competition, action and loud noise. What more could a boy (soon to be put behind the wheel of a full sized go cart) want?
…to extend the 5 minutes, there is always ‘on location’ blogging! hey! there’s an idea… vblog with a voiceover of the day at the (cart) races!

no, huh?

Still, have the best of holiday weeks.

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Clark, I love your suggestion with the “on location” blogging (vlog, not so sure about that one – I’m camera-shy)..you may be on to something with that. I’ll let you know if we go for it…Have a happy one!

Melanie Chisnall December 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Hmmm, that’s a tough one! Not that I’m qualified or know what boys of that age like to do. Do you have lazer quest over there, or paint ball? Very cool action games enjoyed by young and old of all ages. Might be something fun to do. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your family have a super Christmas! :)

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Paint ball is actually a great idea…my middle guy has been to a few paint ball b-day parties, but the other two never have so maybe we’ll do that…hope you have a wonderful Christmas too!

Erin December 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I can totally sympathize with you. My boys are a little younger 3&4 and I’m dreading this upcoming week. I’m just praying their new Xmas presents occupy them a little longer than Xmas day b

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Yes, I remember when my boys were that age and we too hoped that the new toys would keep them busy for at least a few days. Good luck & happy holidays!

Jeanne December 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Well I have two girls, ages 11 and 8 and their absolute favorite indoor activity is a sock ball fight. Cleanup is sock basketball into a basket.
Can anyone in your family take them for a few hours? How about a babysitter? I find local teens to be very energetic.
Lastly, let them be bored. Let their brains begin to shrivel. It’s Christmas break! Their brains need some chill out time. Yours too:)

ohboymom December 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm

No babysitter necessary because my oldest is 15…but I need to worry about them killing each other when I leave them alone.:) Yes, I plan to let them be bored. I’m definitely in favor of “chill” time!

Ruchira December 25, 2012 at 3:06 am

Emily,

Good luck dear since, getting dragged in all directions and yet seem to have fun is so difficult.

I guess, you could take turns in helping them get their wishes come true at a reasonable price…lol

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Julie December 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I have 4 extra boys in my house which brings the testosterone level through the roof! Have you tried slot car racing in Elmsford? Might entertain all three without seeming babyish… Good luck!!

ohboymom December 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

Like your idea, but as of earlier today, we now have a basketball injury (dislocated kneecap) in the house and he’s on crutches, so any vacation plans just turned into staycation plans.:( Good luck with all those boys!

Julie DeNeen December 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hmmmm….I got nothing! We are going to a local gymnastics place but usually those are for 10 and under. Godspeed to you! :)

Julia December 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Two words: Drink heavily.

ohboymom December 27, 2012 at 12:23 am

Way ahead of you on that one.:)