Oh Boy Mom's Holiday Wish List - OhBoyMom

Oh Boy Mom’s Holiday Wish List

December 13, 2012 in Parenting

We celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas in our house, so there are lots of lists here this time of year. Every year it seems to become more difficult to gift the boys with something they really want that either a) doesn’t cost more than our monthly mortgage or b) isn’t a friggin’ video game. You’ve read this post about all the failed gifts I’ve given my boys in the past. I’m ready to just give them all cash and call it a day.

I don’t get it because I always feel like I’m the easiest person to please around here. My gift requests are quite simple really. Aside from the iPad Mini I so desperately want (in white please) and a new wallet (Coach or Dooney & Burke will do), my list has nothing material on it. All I want for ________ (fill in holiday here) is:

• A personal chef (okay, I concede while not a material gift, it would be a costly one, but our entire family would benefit from that gift. No more smoke alarm mis-haps!).
  • A V.I.P. card to Red Mango (for those who don’t know it, Red Mango is the best frozen yogurt place, ever). After all, I am there several times a week and although I have a rewards card, I think they should have a V.I.P. line where you don’t have to stand behind everyone deliberating over their toppings. I could just breeze past all those indecisive people, spoon my granola and dark chocolate chips on top, and be on my way.
  • A non-formaldehyde keratin treatment that actually works on my hair and doesn’t cost an obscene amount of money. (Okay, this too is somewhat material, but if invented, it would be worth every penny).
  • To win every tennis match I play over the next year. Ok, that’s asking too much. How about winning some of the matches, please?
  • My book to be published. I promise I’m a better writer than that 50 Shades of Gray chick. Then again, so is my 9-year old.
  • Another show to air like “Lost” or “Six Feet Under.” I miss them both!
  • Another movie as funny as “Hangover” or “Bridesmaids” or “Ted.”
  • One day a year when my kids didn’t fight or yell. Only one!
  • One day a month when I didn’t have to nag my kids about doing their homework.
  • Enough hours in every day to write, exercise, play tennis, have lunch with a friend, play with the dog, give each child one-on-one time, read a few chapters of a good book, watch TV, and have an uninterrupted conversation with my husband.

Okay, holiday fairies, you’ve got your work cut out for you, so go and get started please!

What’s on your non-material holiday wish list?

Melanie December 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love your list Emily! Especially the personal chef and Red Mango wishes (like the name too!). Mine would be to also get my book published, to get inspired to finish the painting for our bedroom, to be able to teleport and visit friends I haven’t seen in years, actually to teleport around the world on a glorious 3 week holiday all expenses paid (okay, a little materialistic..).

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

The teleporting to see friends and to travel are good ones…I’m adding those to my list too!

Janine Huldie December 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Oh this was great Emily and hope you get all your holiday wishes come true. And want to do you know we share some of the same wishes, too. I guess great minds think alike!!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Yes, I agree! And I could see how Moms with young kids would have similar wishes, especially the one day without fighting wish!

Amy December 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I love your list! I share the last request as well – enough hours in the day to do all those things that I love.
And I thought that new show “Revolution” would be a little like Lost, but it isn’t nearly as good. We decided to watch Lost from the beginning (on Netflix) with my oldest daughter and we realized there was a ton that we missed! It’s kind of an obsession here at the moment. :)

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I’d like to watch “Lost” from the beginning too again, because I know I missed some stuff too…hmm, maybe I’ll add the DVD collection to my list! :)

grownandflown December 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Emily, except for the oh, so trite but oh, so true “good health,” time is high on my list. Writing, blogging, reading, commenting, FB-ing, tweeting, pinteresting, trying to understand SEO – who knew how time-consuming social media can be? While your family might not come through on some, I hope they get the hint about the mini and the wallet!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thanks and I agree, the social media learning curve seems never-ending and so so time consuming. I feel as if I’ll never catch up!

Stacy Harris December 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I only want one wish this Christmas this year… and that is for one day without the kids fighting and bickering. I wonder if duck tape can make it happen! ;) Just kidding of course!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Yeah I’ve thought of that duct tape option many times! :)

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. December 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Great idea, and awesome list! You have summed up a lot of our utopian gift ideas, I think. Extra time, no arguing/whining/screeching, a published book…Sigh. Way to wrap it all up into one tidy post- loved it!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thanks…and those ideas are not too much to ask, right? If only Santa could work his magic to bring moms some sanity.

Cyndi December 13, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I wish I could divide myself into eight people and be a personal chef, a blogger, a full time artist, a gardener, a interior decorator, an herbalist and grow all the cooking herbs and use them in everything I cook…THAT would be a cool gift. I realize that’s slightly random, but…hehe…I thought of that when you said what you wanted for Christmas. :)

Kristi December 14, 2012 at 12:24 am

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I linked to your site from my post tonight as one of the awesome blogs I found via TALU. here’s the post: http://www.findingninee.com/beautiful-blogger-award/

ohboymom December 14, 2012 at 12:43 am

Yes, I saw it earlier and just commented on your blog…thank you SO much! I really appreciate the mention and look forward to checking out the other blogs you mentioned as well.

What Jean Likes December 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Well happy Hanukkah and Merry Christams!!

Oh wait, were you able to get ahold of those gift fairies? They’ve been avoiding my calls and not returning my messages. I mean all I wanted was a jet air plane, a Mercedes, a trust fund and an assistant! ;)

Love this post.

What Jean Likes December 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

I hope you are having a lovely week my dear and thank you so much for linking up to last week’s Aloha Friday Blog Hop.

If you have time, we’d love to have you come back and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven’t already!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

ohboymom December 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Sure, I’d love to link up again…see you over there!

ohboymom December 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

The holiday fairies must be backed up this year but I’m sure your plane and car are on its way.:)

clark December 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm

…’the time to do it.’
aiyee, that is what first comes to my mind, (and what most of your Commenters* have agreed with), how long does that to learn? That it is not ‘the things’ but it so much ‘the time’.
Great Post!**

* Cyndi! the imagery!!! think about what you are implying, sort of the clone thing scenario, but let them all of a mind of (their) own… what ‘cha want to bet that they (the other 8 you’s) start to give you a hard time?

** there it is! The one thing I would add for my List: to write the ‘total killer, movie rights-gernerating, 50MM hit, Post!
(yeah, some of us less mature, more Y chrome types still have that competition thing to fight…lol)

ohboymom December 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Not enough time, it’s so true…as for those movie rights, that was on my original list too (making my book into a movie), but I figured I’d start small and just ask for the book being published first. Movie will be on next year’s list!

Kelly December 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love the personal chef idea…I love to cook but like anything else it’s a priority! I’d rather be doing other stuff. I’d also love to have a maid! One that does windows!

Good luck to both of us! Haha I doubt Ill score on either front:)

ohboymom December 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, I’ll be lucky if I score the wallet at this point…

Debbie McCormick December 15, 2012 at 1:13 am

YES YES YES – I so hear ya on that list. I think moms should get every dang thing on their lists. We’ve so earned it.

ohboymom December 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thanks and I so agree! Hope the holiday fairies agree with us too.:) Thanks for commenting.

Vikki Claflin December 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

Love your list! Especially the last one. “More hours in a day” would be my first request! :)

ohboymom December 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm

It’ true — time really is the number one gift we all seem to crave.

Jeanne December 19, 2012 at 4:04 am

Thanks for checking out my blog! I love yours too. We celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas at our house as well. Thank you for being honest and saying you would like to watch tv. So would I.

ohboymom December 20, 2012 at 3:56 am

Sounds like we have lots in common.:) Thanks for reading and commenting!