Happy 12/12/12! A Perfect Day for the Beautiful Blogger Award - OhBoyMom

Happy 12/12/12! A Perfect Day for the Beautiful Blogger Award

December 12, 2012 in Uncategorized

I’m on a roll…!

Happy 12/12/12! There’s lots going on today, from parties to Hurricane Relief concerts and yes, awards to be handed out. Thank you, thank you to Kelly of The Real Housewife! She awarded me this latest honor of Beautiful Blogger and I’m truly flattered. Kelly writes a blog that is hilarious and real so please check it out if you haven’t already. I always look forward to Kelly’s posts because I know I’m going to laugh…This award follows the same rules as the others. I must first tell you some interesting facts about myself before passing it on to someone else. This is becoming more difficult because I’m running out of things to write. I think I’m interesting, but not THAT enthralling. I’ve decided to focus this group of facts on my education and work experience. Sounds boring, I know, but I think these facts are sort of fun:

1. I went to The University of Michigan and so did my husband. We are loyal Wolverine fans and we love Ann Arbor — best college town in the country. Go Blue!
  2. I have my M.B.A. in marketing from The University of Chicago, which is known as one of the more quantitative business schools in the country. However, I have trouble helping my kids with their math homework, especially word problems! I can’t do them!!
  3. I was once fired from a summer job working in a tennis apparel store. I cried and the rest of the employees protested so they re-hired me the next day.
  4. My first job out of college was for an ad agency. Both men that I reported to were having affairs. It was Mad Men in the 1980′s.
  5. I started a new job in Citibank’s marketing department when I was 3 1/2 months pregnant but they didn’t know. I told them I was pregnant on my 2nd official day on the job. They pretended to be pleased about the news.
  6. Speaking of pregnancies, I was the Brand Manager for Clearblue Easy home pregnancy test and Clearplan Easy home ovulation kit for several years. I know more about getting pregnant than the average person. I was also the first person in the office to know who was pregnant, because a co-worker would secretly come ask me for a test to bring home.
  7. One of my favorite jobs was working at the A.S.P.C.A. in the marketing department. The job itself wasn’t so great, but our offices were on the same floor as the officers that rescued animals. One time they rescued a baby alligator that someone was keeping in their bathtub in NYC. They brought the gator into our office (with his mouth taped shut) and I pet him.  I sometimes brought my own dog to work there (another perk) but he kept eating everyone’s leftover lunch out of the garbage, so that was a short-lived benefit.

And now it’s time to pass this wonderful award on to another deserving beautiful blogger. This is always so hard, not only because there are so many great bloggers out there, but because so many of them may have already received this award! I can’t keep track so if the two people I chose are receiving this for a second or a third time, well, all I can say is you deserve it again!

The first is Michelle of Muses From the Deep: short stories, poems, and reflections. Her short stories are so creative and thought-provoking. She immediately draws you in, and always seems to surprise you with an unexpected ending. Her poetry is also beautiful and enviable and that is why she so deserves a Beautiful Blogger award!

The second is Mary Anne of Forever 51. Oh does she make me laugh! Although I’m not 50 yet (although I’m not that far away either), I can so relate to her posts of raising a teenager, joking about botox, and asking Santa for her boobs back. Mary Anne definitely qualifies as another Beautiful Blogger in my book!

Congratulations to you both!

While I’d like to sit around and gaze at my latest blogging award, it’s time to get busy on this day of 12′s. I actually have some holiday shopping to do. More specifically, I have to START my holiday shopping…Gulp.

Sharon December 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Gosh, Emily, you’ve taken to this blogging thing like a duck to water! Go go go!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks Sharon because most days it still feels like I’m swimming upstream!

Janine Huldie December 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Congrats on your win and so very well deserved. By the way, I loved learning more about you then I didn’t already know like the Clearblue Easy job (wish I would have known you when I was trying to conceive,lol). Seriously great post and congrats to Michelle and Mary Anne, too.

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks and yes, I was known as the “clearblue lady” for a few years…it was a fun job!

Stacy Harris December 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Have fun holiday shopping… Kelly nominated me for an award too… I am trying to figure out who hasn’t received it yet so I have been holding off! :) Congratulations – well deserved!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks and yeah I held off too for a bit for the same reason…we’re all soooo good! :)

Stephanie.Sprenger December 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have to say, great job, those were genuinely interesting! I loved reading that and learning more about you. The part where you cried and got your job back made me laugh! Congratulation s! You deserve it!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks so much and yeah, sometimes crying about something really does help to turn things around. :)

Amy December 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Loved hearing about your jobs – especially the ASPCA. That sounded like the most fun. :) Congrats on the award!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thanks, I figured you’d like the ASPCA one after your post yesterday.:)

Terrye December 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Congrats, Emily, well deserved! :) And you picked a couple more fantastic bloggers to pass the award along to. Keep up the fantastic writing…even if I don’t get to stop by and enjoy as often as I’d like. :)

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks and same to you…I miss seeing your posts!

Julie DeNeen December 13, 2012 at 12:25 am

Congratulations! I’ve met Mary Anne from Forever 51 and she is as funny in person as real life. :)

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thanks! Oh I could definitely see that…a person would have to be funny in real life to write humor like she does.

Cyndi December 13, 2012 at 3:02 am

I loved learning about the work history…lol…the first to know who was pregnant…that’s like a goldmine!
You also have great choices for the next two people and I love these awards because you get to know more about the blogger and more about other people you might not necessarily know about…not to mention the pageviews. :) Awesome!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I agree that these awards are a great way to learn about our fellow bloggers…I think we’re an interesting group!

Vikki Claflin December 13, 2012 at 3:08 am

Congratulations! Loved learning more about you!

Julie December 13, 2012 at 4:37 am

Congratulations, Em! A much deserved accolade! I remember very vividly when you started that job pregnant!
My one question is, how many blogs do you read in one day? I’m new to this scene, and feel special to know and follow even one! How many do you and do your followers read each day? Just curious…. :-)

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I think it can vary by blogger in terms of what we read/follow each day…right now, I am reading anywhere from 10-20 blogs a day, depending on my time and on how often a blogger posts. I’m sure some people read way more than that and perhaps others much less…I’m probably in the average range?

Kate Hall December 13, 2012 at 5:16 am

Neat list! How long was the baby alligator? I’m picturing a tiny thing, but it was probably bigger.

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The alligator was about maybe 2-3 feet long if I am recalling correctly. The ASPCA officer was holding it in his arms when I pet it/him/her.

Rich Rumple December 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

Congrats on getting the award to begin with! You deserved it! I had to laugh at your “touching” the alligator. About ten years ago, I participated in a “tagging” project in the Everglades where we caught those under four foot long and tagged them for future research. Many times, when in the water, thoughts of “how big are those hiding underneath the water” came to mind. It did tend to make one nervous, to say the least. Great choices to pass on the award to!

ohboymom December 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Rich and wow, your alligator tagging sounds pretty awesome…and scary! At least my gator had his mouth taped shut!