Boys Like To Shop Too! - OhBoyMom

Boys Like To Shop Too!

December 10, 2012 in Parenting

This past weekend Middle Dude and I spent four hours in the mall. The dude has stamina! What’s more impressive is that neither one of us complained — not once! We probably could have spent another hour there, too.  If I had either of my other two boys with me, our mall visit never would have been that long. We probably would have been out of there in under an hour.

My mom and I shop together all the time. She calls our trips, “restoring the economy.” I call them fun. Whether we go to the outlet stores, the mall, or wander the streets of a prime shopping community, we spend hours going in and out of stores. Sometimes we have great success and come home with bags of stuff. Other times, we aren’t as lucky, but the outing is still satisfying and always makes for good mom-daughter bonding time.

After my third son was born, I thought to myself, “I love having three boys, but who will go shopping with me if I don’t have a daughter?” I mourned that I may not be able to share those shopping sprees that I so love with my mom, with a child of my own. Fortunately, I may have been wrong.

Our goal for the mall trip was mainly the Apple Store. Aside from checking out the new iPad mini and a laptop, I thought I should look into the iPhone 5 since I was due for an upgrade. Middle Dude, as some of you may recall after reading this post, cracked the glass on his iPhone 4 a few months back. Originally, we had planned to make him pay for replacement of the glass and he was willing to do that. However, what we soon discovered was he didn’t mind using a cracked iPhone and so we let him be for a while, although I was concerned he might cut himself on the shattered glass. Once I realized I was due for an upgrade, the lightbulb went off and I thought I’d get the new “5” and transfer Middle Dude’s number to my old “4.”  So, we were both quite motivated to go to the Apple Store and make this happen.

We immediately received help from one of the Apple “geniuses.” I have always found most of the employees incredibly knowledgeable, but this guy was one of the top geniuses in my book. He set up my new phone first and then worked with us on setting up my old phone for Middle Dude to take over. It took a while, a long, long while because there were all kinds of issues with my old phone. Most of the time, I was working one-on-one with the Apple guy so Middle Dude was forced to listen or wait or find his own fun, which he did. I’d glance over at him every so often and he’d either be fiddling with an iPad or listening to music through various headphones. My other two boys would have been lunatics begging to leave the store, but not Middle Dude. He was content as could be. I finally finished working with the Apple guy — an hour and a half later. I figured Middle Dude would be dragging me out of the store or begging to use his now un-cracked iPhone. But, no. He turns to me and says, “We should buy something here for Dad.”

Huh? Are you sure you’re my kid? I thought.

I stopped walking, my mouth agape, and I replied, “oh, that’s so sweet you to think of Dad.”

And then I gave him a wicked smile and said, “But today’s all about you and me buddy, so let’s go!”

We both laughed and high-fived each other, appreciating our mutual sense of humor.

In all seriousness, I was proud of Middle Dude to think of someone else, after indulging ourselves in the mall for a few hours. We didn’t buy much more that day, but I did come away very assured that I will always have a shopping buddy for life. And that’s more important to me than any iPhone, new clothes, or pair of shoes, will ever be.

Janine Huldie December 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Oh Emily, I loved reading this and only hope that one of my girls will love and live to shop as I do!! That said, good for you on the new iPhone 5, I am definitely looking into one, when my contract comes up in May. How do you like the 5??

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 6:56 pm

So far I love the new iPhone 5 – I haven’t used too many of the new features (like the improved camera, etc) but it’s SO much lighter than the iPhone 4, which is a great improvement.

Melanie December 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

It’s not often you find a boy that’s so eager to go shopping, least of all with his mom. That’s awesome! What a great memory :)

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Yes, it was a fun day. I hope we continue to have more, but as he approaches the teen years, he may find girls more interesting than shopping with his mom!

Amy December 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

That’s really cool that he likes to shop! What a great way to stay connected and spend time together! :)

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Yeah, we had fun. It will be interesting to see if his good shopping attitude lasts as he gets older.

Kelly December 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Emily non elf my daughters like to shop with me! Not one! I don’t know what their little problems are – they don’t like to shop. I DO and my mom and I shop together a ton. (Restoring the community! Hahahahaha) that’s awesome!

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm

It’s funny how shopping is not necessarily a “girl” thing. My husband likes to shop too (for himself)!

Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. December 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm

That is so cool! I think it is important that you got to have some one on one time with him, too. He seems like a great kid! And a whine-free shopping trip? Priceless…

ohboymom December 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Yes the one-on-one time is always great and since he’s my middle dude, he seems to crave it the most. And yes, whine-free is priceless – just hope it wasn’t a one-time thing!

Cyndi December 10, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Oh my god do you know how many girlfriends are going to LOVE middle dude!? Hehe…sorry…don’t wanna scare you. I would LOVE IT if my hubby wanted to go ONCE wiht me. It’ll never happen. I guess I can’t blame him. You’re so lucky with Middle Dude, though. :) I love your names for them too. Hehe. Little Dude…Middle Dude…Big Dude…lol.

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thanks…yeah I figure once girlfriends enter the picture, my shopping days with Middle Dude may end.:(

clark December 11, 2012 at 12:33 am

yeah (to Cyndi) my best efforts at the shopping thing is, ‘what exactly are we looking for?’ and then it is simply a matter of not stopping forward motion until the item is found and bought or we have run of stores to walk up and down the aisles of …simply looking at everything (which is not hard provide you don’t stop).
I don’t get invited to go shopping a whole lot anymore.

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 1:42 am

Yeah I could see that. When my husband goes shopping with me, we go our separate ways and set up a time and meeting place later. Works beautifully for both of us.

Rich Rumple December 11, 2012 at 3:01 am

Middle dude might be a little less content if you were to go shopping in a woman’s clothing store! lol Still, it’s always good to have someone that enjoys that “special time” just doing something together. Sounds like a great kid, Emily! Of course, he was hacking into all of your accounts later that day, but that’s another post. : )

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 3:30 am

Ha, yes, you’re right, shopping for women’s clothing might put him over the edge! And that hacking of accounts stuff, you are right about that one. I protect my passwords like a pot of gold, but my kids still somehow know how to charge things to my credit card!

Vikki Claflin December 11, 2012 at 4:18 am

Okay, I officially love Middle Dude!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 12:23 am

Ha – all my Dudes are so different, but I like to think they have all their endearing traits from me.:)

Michelle December 11, 2012 at 7:05 am

Aww, Emily, Middle Dude was sweet, and it also shows that you’ve instilled the value of thinking for others in him too!! Awesome!!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 12:22 am

Thanks, yeah sometimes my parenting actually pays off! :)

Terrye December 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Emily, congrats on finding a shopping buddy! I’m in the same boat with you, having only had boys. But I have found that they like to shop just as much as Middle Dude does. And honestly, I think it’s more about spending time with Mom than about the shopping. :) I’ve had some great conversations with Number One Son while the two of us were shopping for socks. Go figure. :)

Loved this and wish you many more #awesomesauce shopping adventures with your new found shopping buddy. :)

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks…I agree that the best conversations can happen during the most mundane outings! And yes, it’s more about the time spent together than the actual shopping, though that can be fun too for us shoppers!

Heather O. December 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Oh I wish my girls were more like Middle Dude! They are not fans of shopping and when I have to try something on or talk to a sales person, they are not very good at entertaining themselves. There’s always a lot of “shhh” and “GIRLS” and “quiet down, stop being so loud, you’re annoying people, don’t back into that guy, this is a store, NOT a playground!” and so forth. Needless to say, we really don’t do a lot of shopping as a group. :P

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Oh we don’t either Heather. One on one it’s fine, but if I had all three of my boys with me, forget about it — sanity goes out the window!

Mandy @ MoneyMasterMom December 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for this post. I’ve been stressin lately that my 2 toddlers, and 1 baby are growing up too fast. Now I have something to look forward too!

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Oh yes, you’ll see, as they get older, the time spent together can become even more special.

Stacy Harris December 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Sounds like a fun day. Personally, I am not a shopper… I would much rather take my kid out to lunch and a movie or something like that. But mostly, my kids would probably lose their head. They aren’t so bad individually, but together they are a nightmare!

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Oh I agree — I would never take all three of them shopping together unless I absolutely had to!!

Grown and Flown December 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Boys can surprise. Once my three hit high school they became noticeably more interested in what they wore and shopping became a lot more interesting to them. They would always rather shop online and have it over in 10 min, but every so often we have a nice outing as you described, such fun.

ohboymom December 11, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Yes, I can see how that might happen in high school, especially when girls enter the picture!

What Jean Likes December 12, 2012 at 6:45 am

I bet he enjoyed your time together just as much as you did. I like how you told him that the day was just for you and him. Boys really need to feel special. My son is the exact same way!! :)

Thank you so much for participating in our Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I am following you, of course!! Wishing you and yours a lovely week!!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

ohboymom December 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks so much Jean and yes, I agree that boys (especially those middle ones) need to feel special.