Blog of the Year...Yeah Baby! - OhBoyMom

Blog of the Year…Yeah Baby!

December 7, 2012 in Uncategorized

Blog of the Year 2012

What a great way to wind down the year…another blogging award has come my way! This one is called the “Blog of the Year” award and it was bestowed upon me by the amazing Janine over at Janine’s Confessions of A Mommyaholic. Janine is an inspiration to me for so many reasons. First off, she blogs every day. Yup, I’m talking seven days a week. I can barely get my three posts a week out there, but Janine appears to be tireless. Besides being a writing machine, she is a mom to two adorable little girls, which as we all know is a full-time job in itself. What’s more, Janine is so generous with her commenting. We are part of a blogging group at the “Bloppy Bloggers” and she is one of the first commenters on everyone’s blog. So, thank you so very much Janine for this honor! Before I pass this award on to two more deserving bloggers, I am supposed to tell you some interesting facts about myself. And since I previously listed seven for my other award, I’m going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a few more, but here it goes:

1. I love dogs! I mentioned this last time, but what I neglected to tell you is that our dog is Matilda, an Australian Labradoodle, who is an amazing, sweet girl. She and I are a certified pet therapy team and we have volunteered at nursing homes and day care facilities. Every year she must be re-certified and she is having her evaluation this weekend. I’m sure she’ll pass with flying colors!
  2. I love water-skiing. I learned how to ski at sleep-away camp many, MANY years ago and although my husband doesn’t believe me, I was really good. I could slalom (ski on one ski) and do tricks too. Someday I’ll prove it to him.
  3. I grew up on Long Island and I still I have a “lawn guyland” accent. One of my kids even makes fun of me. “Mom, why do you say “oh my gawd!”
  4. My (alcoholic) drink of choice is chardonnay or Stella Artois beer. Except if I’m eating sushi, I must have a Sapporo beer. Sushi cannot be eaten without a Sapporo.
  5. Speaking of food, I eat ice cream every night. It’s sort of a reward to myself at the end of a very long day with three active (and loud) boys.

And now the fun part: Which bloggers receive this award next….this was extremely hard, because ever since I started blogging a few short months ago, I have come across such talented writers who have awesome blogs. So, I’m picking two, but there are so many more of you who deserve this and who I know will receive this award very soon. That being said, here are two of my many favorite bloggers of the year:

Amy of Adorable Chaos blogs about her three girls and her eclectic homeschooling approach. Her posts are extremely well-written and an absolute pleasure to read. I’ve commented before that my life of raising three boys seems so different at times from hers, but maybe that’s why I’m so drawn to read her posts. And while we may seem like we’re living in opposite worlds sometimes, I can also easily find common ground amongst us and our families.

Kelly of The Real Housewife makes me laugh out loud! Not only are her posts humorous, but they are REAL, just like the title of her blog. Whether she is writing about airline travel or receiving “ass-calls” from other people’s cell phones crammed in their pockets, Kelly has a gift for writing humor that so many people can relate to. Could a stand-up career be next?! Kelly recently received another blogger award, but if she doesn’t mind being inundated, she’s getting this one from me!

Congrats to you both and now everyone go read their blogs!!

Janine Huldie December 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

First of all, you know it was totally my pleasure awarding you this one and so happy to be able to share it with a fellow Long Island girl!! Out of everything the blog is the one thing I absolutely love and hope to never stop :) That said, I have too many other writing stuff (like my novel) that I have hit a bit of a brick wall as you know. So don’t be too hard on yourself and I am not perfect by any means either, but love to try to be, lol (joking). But seriously loved hearing more about you here and no wonder why you told me to get a labradoodle! Great chocices to pass this one onto and love both the women you choose!!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

We Long Island girls must stick together! Glad you enjoyed the post and if you’re ever serious about a dog, I have a great breeder to refer you to.:)

Stacy Harris December 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Both are such great choices… I love both of these bloggers. Funny that you mentioned water skiing… I had this vision were I once got up on skis. Yeah – I was so proud of myself. It lasted about 5 seconds and I face planted. One day maybe I will try again! :) Congratulations on your reward!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Stacy and yes, try water-skiing again — it’s the best!

Amy December 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thank you so much, Emily! I love reading your blog and getting to know you and your three boys! It is such a different life in many ways, but still so many similarities. :)
I love that you have a therapy dog. I’ve always thought that my dog would make a terrific therapy dog also and I may have to look into that. She has one of those gentle spirits. I always say that I rescued her, but she “saved” me with her sweetness during a difficult time in my life.
I’m babbling. :) Thank you again for the award!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Loving your babble and your very welcome for the award! And if you ever want to look into therapy dog certification with your dog, let me know (I felt the same way about my dog, that she was born to do therapy work.)

Michelle December 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Great choices, Emily!! And glad to connect with a fellow dog lover as well! Thanks for sharing!!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Michelle and glad to hear you’re a dog lover too!

Kelly December 7, 2012 at 5:00 pm

OMG! Emily this is such an honor:) what a great day for me…you ladies are the bomb! What did I do before I hooked up with all of you? It was just boring!

I’m in awe of your blogging skills and have been since I first read yours….now there’s a pro I thought. Keep an eye on her:) I have been watching how you do it:).

You have the boys which also fascinates me since I have 3 girls…it’s crazy. Life is crazy and I like that! I love laughing and there’s another reason why I love your blog – you are so funny!

Thank you so much….I am on cloud nine again today!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Kelly, it was my pleasure and glad to spice up your day! I feel the same way about your blog and writing and always look forward to your posts. Have a great weekend!

Cari @ MeetMyHusband December 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Congratulations, Emily! I eat ice cream really often, too — maybe not every night, but close. Kelly and Amy are great choices!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Cari and I shouldn’t eat ice cream every night but I do! :)

Ruchira December 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Awesome choices, Emily.

Congrats on your award and great to read about you :)

Cheers!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thanks Ruchira — appreciate it!

Roshni December 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Congratulations! That’s super!!

ohboymom December 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thanks — appreciate it!

Cyndi December 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Woohoo! Wonderful post and now you’ve got me thinking: certified pet therapy team? Very cool. I’d look into that with my dog, but um, he’s Hash Brinsanity. LOL. Fun facts, too! Love it!

ohboymom December 8, 2012 at 12:24 am

Ha – yeah based on what you’ve written about Hash Brown, sounds like he’d be a pet therapy flunkie! Kidding, of course! He sounds like a sweetheart…

Vikki Claflin December 8, 2012 at 2:55 am

Congratulations!

clark December 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

yow!*

Very beneficial my reading of the blogs of all mentioned! Congratulations.
In all seriousitude, I am glad I found myself in the company of so many, ridiculously talented and (fortunately for me) tolerant writers. Am learning more that I can understand, but all it good.
Best to all!

*a lyric expression found in a song by the Commodores c. 1977

ohboymom December 9, 2012 at 1:55 am

Thanks so much and same here Clark — I feel like I am learning so much from all of you bloggers out there, including the expression “yow.” :)

Melanie December 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Congrats on the blogging award, Emily! :) I love that you eat ice-cream at the end of every day…you totally deserve it! What a great thing that you and Matilda are doing…wow!

ohboymom December 9, 2012 at 1:53 am

Thanks Melanie! I may deserve the ice cream but I certainly don’t need it…oh well, can’t live without it!

Chris Desatoff December 19, 2012 at 4:13 am

What the hell? A Labradoodle is a REAL dog? I thought that was like, a joke…a punchline. Like, “What do you get when you cross a Labrador with a Snickerdoodle?”

Huh.

The Internet is such a wonderful place. I learn something new and totally true every single day.

Congrats on you award, Emily! Aloha

ohboymom December 20, 2012 at 3:55 am

Ha – yes, a Labradoodle is a REAL dog, but I agree, it is a silly-sounding name. We call them “doodles” for short – not sure if that’s better or worse. Anyway, thanks for commenting and glad I could teach you something new!