Tis The Season...For Basketball! - OhBoyMom

Tis The Season…For Basketball!

November 19, 2012 in Parenting

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…basketball season! It’s my favorite season for being a spectator at my boys’ games.  All three of my dudes play basketball and two of them are on two different teams each.  That makes for multiple games and practices every week.  Normally, I’d moan and whine about all the shuttling around, but you know what, I’m thrilled.  And you know why?

Because it’s all indoors!

No more standing outside in the cold or rain to watch football, the game that doesn’t stop for a few drizzles or even an approaching hurricane. Yes, it’s true, our boys played at 4pm on the Sunday before Sandy hit, as the wind whipped the trees all around us and the rain drops started to fall.

You know what else I love about basketball?  The games are one hour.  That’s it!  Unlike baseball, where you could be sitting out on those bleachers for close to 3 hours, basketball is quick and efficient.

I know I should worry about injuries, but I’m not as concerned with basketball mishaps as I am with the other sports my boys play. During baseball season, my pulse quickens every time one of my boys stand on the mound to pitch. Please get a strikeout. Please don’t get hit in the head by a line drive. And when it’s my son’s turn up to bat, I worry about the other team’s pitcher who is not necessarily known for accuracy.  Please don’t pitch that ball into my son’s “family jewels.” It’s very stressful to watch.  What’s more, the weather can also be iffy: it’s usually either 90 degrees or 50.  Either way, I’m suffering.

Basketball is blissful. No braving the elements, no pitchers with bad aim, no endless innings. I hope I’m not delusional, though. When basketball reaches the high school level, it’s a whole new enchilada. My oldest son just tried out and made his high school team. Yay him! But wait…you may want to hold off on the rejoicing: The coaches have already warned us that practices will occur over Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, and February break.  Bye-bye ski trip! Bye-bye trip to the Carribean that I’ve been dreaming about for years! Bye-bye staying in our pajamas all day! That’s right, they want heavy-duty commitment.

So what if we never take another family vacation again? It’s all for the love of hoops, right!? And if my son makes it to the starting line-up of the Miami Heat, it will all be worth it, right?! In the meantime, I’ll just keep chanting this to myself as I drive him to and from all those practices and games: I love basketball, I love basketball, I love basketball…

Could my son be joining them someday?

Janine Huldie November 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Emily, this just makes me happy that my girls are in dance and not outdoor sports. My husband wanted to put them in soccer as they get a bit older, but this was my number one complaint that I didn’t want them or me (for that fact of the matter) to brave the outside elements. So very true about that and then also loved how you spoke about the commitment for the high school level teams, which I would be cursing taking me out of my comfortable home. Oh yes I am that mother, lol!!

ohboymom November 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yeah Janine, I’d keep them in dance as long as you can.:) As for high school sports, maybe by the time your girls go, the schools will come to their senses and actually allow families to vacation again. Ugh!

Sharon November 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Emily,

You took the words right out of my mouth…but you forgot to mention: no need to drag your own chair, like in soccer, because there are bleachers. And there’s usually an indoor bathroom vs port-a-potty on the pitch!

ohboymom November 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Ooh you’re so right Sharon — I forgot about the bleachers and those indoor bathrooms — heaven! Thanks for commenting!

Kelly November 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

My girls are really active and Madison just decided to quit Gymnastics. I was GLAD. I get so nervous watching them flip around in the air tossing each other and hoping for a good catch! I had a terrible time with it because she was really good and loved it. I didn’t want to make her quit because I’m such a chicken.

Middle girl plays Softball. She is so crazy good I hope she never quits. The only girl on her team to ever get a grand slam – that was so awesome to see:) LOL. I love it but maybe I should push for BB? Only an hour?

Hahaha

ohboymom November 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Ha, Kelly, you remind me of…me! Two of my boys decided not to play soccer this past fall (I don’t consider it “quitting” if it happens prior to the season starting or after it ends) and I was GLAD, as you say. Sounds like you’re going to be spending a lot of time on the bleachers with your daughter who plays softball. However, can’t hurt to introduce her to the game of BB too (wink, wink).

Cari@MeetMyHusband November 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Haha! I’ve got to admit that I’m a football fan through and through, but I’ve never had boys who wanted to play it. I’m sure I’d get tired of “braving the elements”, as you say. Happy basketball season!

ohboymom November 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Cari. I’m a football fan too (I went to U of Michigan, a big football school) but I definitely become a fair-weathered fan when it’s cold or rainy.

Amy November 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm

This really made me smile! And happy that my girls aren’t into outdoor sports! I love the way you found all the positives here. :) For us, it’s ice skating season…which means I am preparing to freeze. But first, I have to get through “show season” which will end after a couple of more weeks of daily rehearsals (or constant driving). Parenting is so fun, right?

ohboymom November 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Ha, yeah so fun! One of my boys used to do ice hockey so I know all about those freezing rinks…at least there’s usually hot cocoa or hot coffee nearby.:)

Rich Rumple November 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I am sitting here right now watching my #1 ranked Indiana Hoosiers play a game. I am in bliss. You are a woman after my heart if you’re the fan you proclaim. Please, pass the popcorn!

ohboymom November 20, 2012 at 12:03 am

Rich, I went to University of Michigan, as did my husband, so we are big watchers of football and basketball in this house! In fact, Michigan is playing in Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night and we plan to go! Enjoy the popcorn!

Julia November 20, 2012 at 1:51 am

Emily – I totally agree that it’s all about the convenience factor for ME when thinking about which of my kids’ sports I like :) Stay warm!

ohboymom November 20, 2012 at 2:14 am

Thanks Julia…yes, being a spectator is so much more enjoyable when I’m warm and comfortable!

Cyndi November 20, 2012 at 5:03 am

That’s great for your son. Not so fun that practice happens over the breaks. But, I’m sure he’ll love it. It sounds like it’s right up his alley. There is the part about getting to stay inside, too. lol

ohboymom November 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Yes Cyndi, basketball is right up his alley, mainly because he is 6 foot 5 and still growing! And yes, I particularly like the inside benefit!

Melanie November 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

Oh wow, this sounds like fun! We don’t really play Basketball over here, but I wish we did. It always looks so exciting on TV, and now that you mentioned it’s only an hour….it’s really appealing! Had to laugh at your comment on the length of Baseball…that’s nothing! Over here, Cricket is usually around 6 – 7 hours. I don’t know how other people do it sitting there all day, I can’t. An hour is more than enough for me…I suppose if Geoff starts playing again I should make more of an effort…

ohboymom November 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I had no idea that Cricket took that long…that’s craaaazy! Sounds similar to golf, which my husband plays. 5 hours later, the round is finally over! I thought about learning golf, but I have NO patience for a game that takes that long.