The 9 Days of Sandy - OhBoyMom

The 9 Days of Sandy

November 7, 2012 in Uncategorized

Hurricane Sandy left us without power for 9 long days.  As our situation became almost unbearable, I resorted to many different forms of distraction (alcohol being one of them), but I couldn’t get one particular song out of my head. I can’t hold a tune to save my life, but as I tried to fall asleep each night in my frigid bedroom, I created this song (lyrics should be sung to the tune of “The 12 Days of Christmas”).

On the 1st day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 2nd day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “We have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 3rd day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 4th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Our house is 53 degrees, our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 5th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Our kids still have no school, our house is 52 degrees, our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 6th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “The gas lines are 2 hours long, the kids have no school, our house is 51 degrees, our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 7th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Another storm is coming, the gas lines are 2 hours long, the kids have no school, our house is 48 degrees, our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 8th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “All hotels are booked, another storm is coming, the gas lines are 2 hours long, the kids are now back in school, our house is 47 degrees, our generator broke, we have no power, and here’s a glass of wine for thee.”

On the 9th day of Sandy, my true love said to me, “Con Ed finally saved us, this nightmare is over, we don’t need a hotel room, the kids can watch TV, our house is 75 degrees, who cares about the generator, we have POWER, and here’s a glass of champagne for thee.”

Hurricane Sandy took a toll on many of us in the East Coast, and I know we were considered one of the lucky ones, who still had a home intact.  And many, many people continue to be without power, heat, homes, and security. Still, it was a trying time for our family.  I was awed by the resilience of my boys, who bundled up every night in their layers of clothing and cozied up by the fire.  While some days I was close to tears or outright crying, other times I found comfort in my friends, family, song and my wine.  And yes, I did drink alcohol for 9 straight days.  I plan to bill Con Ed* for my rehab as I now embark on a 12-step program to detox.

* That is a joke.  Con Ed, or more specifically the Pike crew from Georgia, was heroic.  They restored our power and rejoiced along with us on the street. These guys are working 12-hour shifts and sleeping in their trucks.  I gifted them with the only edible thing I had in my house: beer.  My neighbor also gave them a bottle of scotch and Kit Kats.  I hope they are able to continue to perform repairs without becoming too exhausted (or inebriated.:)) and can return to their own families soon.

Stacy Harris November 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Wow – that is all I got… I don’t know if I would have done the wine… maybe scotch… I heard it warms you from the inside out! What an ordeal you guys have been through but I am glad to see the power is back on and you guys are toasty warm! I raise my glass up to you! Cheers! But seriously – glad things are starting to get back to normal and you guys made it through – thank god for wine!

ohboymom November 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thanks so much Stacy and yes I agree, thank god for wine!

Janine Huldie November 7, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I loved your post, granted I don’t love what you had to go through in order to come up with your song and post, but still you did put a smile on my face. Just so happy that you guys are Ok and do have power back. And as they say “Welcome back”.

ohboymom November 8, 2012 at 3:09 am

Thanks so much Janine, your thoughts and prayers meant so much to me. I really appreciate it. Just waiting for this next storm to pass so we can put this all behind us!

Cari Lorine November 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Hahahahaha! Emily, I just laughed out loud reading this. I hate that your family suffered for that long. It sounds like you managed to retain your sense of humor through it all, though. I’m so glad that you’re back among the living!

P.S. I would have been drinking wine, too. How else is a girl to get through all of that!? :)

ohboymom November 8, 2012 at 3:09 am

Thanks Cari, and yes, so true — wine was practically a necessity! :)

Ruchira November 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

This is such a peppy blog describing what you went through when Sandy struck your town.

Good things always come to those who choose to wait patiently. I am glad your family was safe during that time and bless those electricians.

ohboymom November 8, 2012 at 3:08 am

Thanks Ruchira, I agree, those electricians were heroic and still are, as they are still here working until everyone’s power is restored.

Cyndi November 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Oh I would have done MORE than the wine. A couple bottles. Oops…did I just write that? I’m so glad your power is back on. How incredibly frustrating. I’m glad it came on before that other storm really kicks in.
You have so much strength and the way you handled this – wow! I think you’re much stronger than you give yourself credit for. Bravo!

ohboymom November 8, 2012 at 3:07 am

Thanks so much Cyndi..believe me, I definitely had my moments (of weeping!), but we all tried to make the best of it, because we had no choice!

Kate Hall November 8, 2012 at 1:40 am

Oh, this is a great post! You made lemonade out of lemons with this. I love it!

ohboymom November 8, 2012 at 3:06 am

Thanks Kate…when I wasn’t making lemonade, I was in tears, so I tried to stick to the positive…

Rich Rumple November 8, 2012 at 5:06 am

Good to hear you are finally warm and well .. time for a toast! Here’s to warm and well!! Cheers! lol

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Rich! Yes, I never knew how much I’d miss heat until now!

Melanie November 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

So glad to hear that you’re back to normal again. I love the way you broke down all the days – and I would be grateful for a glass of wine every day then as well! Good luck with the rehab..hahaha! Great post ;)

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Melanie, we are now hosting another family that is still without power so the drinking is continuing…rehab here I come!:)

clark November 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

…it seems that in the past, significant lessons in life came only through large-scale communal experiences (wars, stock market crashes and religious reformation), but your Post is, in an ironic way, an example of how technology has allowed us to share personal triumph on a much, much more…. ‘personal’ basis.

(that moment of relief and excitement when the lights come back on! how enjoyable is that!)

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Clark and yes, it was absolute relief and excitement when the lights and HEAT came back on and you’re so right about technology — interesting way to look at it and very true. I was very reliant on Facebook during that time for support, as well as for leads about where the utility workers were working and where to find gas, etc.

Marina November 9, 2012 at 4:28 am

We always appreciate what we lose. I was nodding my head as I was reading each line. Thanks Emily for expressing what we power hungry people have been feeling. Here is to hoping everyone’s power is restored.

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Marina and yes so true — I never realized how much I appreciated HEAT before — that was definitely the hardest part. We now have another family staying with us that is still without power…looking forward to when we can all put this behind us.

Kelly November 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Emily you poor thing! I would have just gotten into a warm wine bath and soaked it up for 9 days! Hey don’t knock it – there are a TON of preservatives in that stuff! Lol

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Kelly, LOL! That may be the antidote for next time, though I’m sooo hoping there never is a next time!

Roshni November 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Your song is just amazing and so funny!! So glad that you all alright! And, kudos to the ConEd crew!

ohboymom November 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Thanks so much Roshni, I really appreciate your thoughts. And yes, those Con Ed guys are my heros!

LizBeth Mitty November 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Amazing that you could keep your sense of humor through nine days of that! We were so lucky at home, but in Red Hook I still have no power in my studio and facing that I may have to remove my paintings if it gets any colder and power isn’t restored. We are in new territory!

ohboymom November 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Liz! When I wasn’t laughing about our situation, I was crying… But yes, new territory indeed! Hope your studio gets power restored very soon.

karen November 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Sandy was horrific, we stayed at my SIL’s house (she had a generator) and the house next to hers was devastated. It took us a few days to get power back she just got it back last night. It was crazy.

ohboymom November 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for your comments, to which I wholeheartedly agree. We’ve had our neighbors staying with us (whose house was crushed by a tree) and they are moving into a rental house down the street that finally got power back today!

Samantha November 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Love your posts Emily! So sorry you all have gone through such an ordeal. We have been thinking of you out here on the west coast and glad you are warm, dry and laughing. Love to everyone.

ohboymom November 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Sam, we really appreciate your thoughts. I think you may find a migration out your way of many east coasters who are fed up with these storms!

Karen October 22, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I came across your blog today and imagine my surprise when I get to the bottom of this post and go “Well damn, that’s MY Pike County in Georgia”!! My uncle was retired from GA Power and also went up to help. I’m so glad y’all made it through relatively unharmed, and maybe going through what we down here call another summer storm will cause y’all to ease up on the jokes when we have snow catastrophes?! :)

ohboymom October 22, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Oh I promise you I did not make any snow catastrophe jokes (though I know others did…). I was SO grateful to those guys and tell your uncle thank you – that’s awesome he came out of retirement to help. :) Our neighborhood lost power a few weeks ago when a tree fell on some power lines…we all had some traumatic flashbacks to Sandy, but luckily Con Ed had the power back within a few hours…