Why We Have A Girl Dog - OhBoyMom

Why We Have A Girl Dog

October 5, 2012 in Uncategorized

Our girl, Matilda

It’s quite simple really.  We have a female dog mainly so I can use the word “girl” in my house.  In my house of boys, I can now say these phrases on a regular basis, thanks to Matilda, the other “woman” in the house:

“C’mon girl.”

“You’re such a pretty girl.”

“Good girl!”

“Hello girlfriend!”

“You have such a beautiful face, my gorgeous girl!”

You get the picture.  Now, I could take this a step further and introduce the color pink into my house, too.  I could put a pink collar and leash on her, put pink bows in her fur, and fulfill the girlie girl dress-up desires that I never was able to bestow upon my boys.  Except there’s a few things wrong – very wrong – with that scenario.  For one, I’m not THAT crazy.  And two, I never really had that desire to dress up a little girl.  You see, I myself was a tomboy, refusing to wear anything pink or that might be considered too frilly or feminine.  I did not have a closet full of dresses and if forced to wear one for a special occasion, I was one pouty little girl.  As for my favorite childhood activities, all I can say is I have very fond memories of playing football in the street with all the neighborhood boys and very un-fond memories of a dreaded ballet class.

I think I was meant to be a mother to all boys.  If I had had a daughter, I absolutely know I would want her to be a little tomboy like I was. I have several friends who have daughters who hate dressing up, who play ice hockey, who climb trees, and who like to jump in mud puddles.  Those are my kind of girls.  Of course, we can’t control who our children become any more than we can control the weather.  I have other mom friends who have girly girls and they simply can’t relate.  And I know there are plenty of jock dads out there who wished for a son to play catch with, only to find that their little boy would rather paint pictures or play guitar.  And that same jock dad may find that it’s his daughter who wants to kick a soccer ball around all day long.

Gender has so little to do with our kids and their budding personalities.  I have three boys and they couldn’t be more different from one another.  Yes, they all love sports and video games and beating each other up.  But, within each of their typical boy demeanors lies more.  I’ve got one dude who is as sweet and cuddly as they come.  I’ve got another dude who is more sensitive and moody than any teen girl.  And, he cares about his hair and clothes a lot.  And, I’ve got a third dude who can be bossy and controlling, but I know deep down he just wants to be loved and accepted.

Which brings me back to our girl dog.  The only thing I could control about having a house full of boys was to adopt a female into our household so that I wasn’t the lone queen.  So what if she’s not human? :)

Candace October 6, 2012 at 12:57 am

Parallel universes :) We just got a boy dog for my husband who is outnumbered by three girls and girl dog.

ohboymom October 6, 2012 at 1:40 am

Love that! Glad to know I’m not the only one!

Janine Huldie October 6, 2012 at 1:10 am

This was a great post. I happen to have two daughters and thank god for that, because I was the girl you probably who have hated (the dreaded girly girl). That said both my girls are little mini me’s, who just today both decided they needed to be and just had to have matching Cinderella costumes for Halloween. If I would have had boys, I admit I don’t know if I would have known how to be a boy mother, because like I said I was just always so girly girly. That said truly enjoyed Friday’s post :)

ohboymom October 6, 2012 at 1:44 am

Thanks Janine. I love hearing a girl-mom’s perspective and it’s funny how we seem to have the genders that are “meeant” for us. And even for the parents who worried about parenting a boy or a girl, depending on their own backgrounds and childhoods, somehow we all manage to adapt!

Janine Huldie October 6, 2012 at 2:30 am

Oh so very true and we all do end up adapting in the end if need be. Truly loved this post though :)

Roshni October 6, 2012 at 3:35 am

You and I are soul sisters!! I too think I was meant to be the mother of boys!! And, was a total tomboy during my childhood (not that I’m a girlie girl now!). But, that is a fantastic idea about the girl dog!!! Will definitely ‘adopt’ it!!! :D

ohboymom October 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Love it Roshni! And if you’re serious about a dog, look at Labradoodles — they are super sweet!

Roshni October 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Oh, I am serious! Always had a dog during my childhood! I feel bad to deprive my kids but I want the dog to be happy and since I work outside home, I would feel bad to leave it in the house all day. I plan to ‘retire’ and be a SAHM in a few years, and then I will look into labradoodles! :))

ohboymom October 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I love your plan! Sounds great!

Julie October 6, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love your thoughts and wisdom about gender! So right on and important for us all to remember not to pigeon-hole our kids based on gender or any other expectation for them that we might have…I love this blog because it’s not just well-written and funny, but so insightful too! Amazing.

ohboymom October 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Thanks so much Julie! I really appreciate your encouragement and support!

grownandflown October 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Matilda has such a wonderful face and I can tell she is a fantastic companion to you and each of your sons. Love the fact that she allows you to feminize your language!

ohboymom October 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for your comment and yes, Matilda is a wonderful part of our family!