As you’ve read from my previous post, my boys are BACK from camp. This week they are doing nothing. And, I’m scared. They spent most of the previous weekend inside with their precious video games because they claimed it was “too hot” outside. I let them zone out with their XBox because I figured they needed to re-group and relax from the previous weeks of non-stop sports and activities. And, I needed to get some stuff done around the house, so I call that a win-win. Still, I know if I let them continue with their zombie-like behavior in front of those games, things could get ugly. They stop hearing me, they don’t get dressed or brush their teeth, they suddenly realize they haven’t had breakfast and it’s already 4pm. Not good.
Yes, I know, it’s up to me to keep them busy and active and motivated to get their butts outside. I’ve been doing this for almost 15 years — I get it! Today, they had a play date and went to a park! (Yes, I am patting myself on the back…). But, that takes a lot of effort, which is something a first-time mom is all about. But me, the mom of three boys is soooo over arranging play dates. In fact, I’m not ashamed to say the play date today was initiated by the other mom, not me.
Which brings me back to camp, and why it’s practically a mandatory activity in our household. Whether the boys go to day camp, a specialty sports camp or sleep-away camp, here are my very important reasons as to why they need to go to camp each summer:
- They will be active all day, every day, and I won’t have to drive them anywhere — woohoo!
- They will not even think about their video games while at camp.
- I will never hear the words, “Mom, I’m bored.”
- I will be spared the role of referee of their fights.
- The house will remain reasonably clean for the entire day (or summer if at sleep-away).
- …and therefore, I won’t have to perform my “pee-check” before sitting on the toilet seat.
- Hours of “me” time…tennis courts here I come!
- And just so you know, it’s not ALL about me: my boys come back from camp smiling AND tired!
Is it too early to mail in the deposit for next summer?